Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

About.com's 2005 Mock Draft v1.2 (1/18/05)

1. San Francisco ***** - Aaron Rodgers*, QB California
    If the ***** lock up the top slot, they should take a potential franchise quarterback to build around, but I would be surprised if they didn’t try to trade out of the pick to avoid paying the salary a quarterback would command from the top slot. If they do move down, they could be targeting an offensive tackle, or even a running back.

2. Miami Dolphins – Cedric Benson, RB Texas
    The Dolphins have a second-round pick invested in A.J. Feeley, but with a new regime coming in, they could be looking for their own guy to groom. However, a running back like Cedric Benson would fill a much bigger need at this time.

3. Cleveland Browns – Derrick Johnson, OLB Texas
    The Browns really need an upgrade at left tackle, but Alex Barron would probably be a little bit of a reach here. Cleveland is also lacking playmakers on defense, and with new GM Phil Savage coming over from Baltimore, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go after a franchise-type player he can build a defense around.

4. Chicago Bears – Mike Williams*, WR USC
    Like the Browns, the Bears might also be tempted by Florida State’s Alex Barron, especially with GM Jerry Angelo’s tendency to pick linemen in the first round. In fact, I would not be surprised to see him trade down to fill weaknesses at both the offensive tackle and wide receiver positions. However, if he doesn’t trade down, the Bears must come out of the No. 4 spot with an offensive playmaker.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from New York) – Carnell Williams, RB Auburn
    The Bucs are near the bottom of the league when it comes to running the ball, so a running back makes sense here, especially if they can have their pick of Williams, teammate Ronnie Brown, and Cedric Benson out of Tennessee. These three prospects rank very closely in overall talent, but in my view, Brown’s skills translate best to the NFL. I wouldn’t be surprised, however, to see any of the three picked first at their position.

6. Tennessee Titans - Antrel Rolle, CB Miami (Fla)
    The Titans are another team that might be looking to move down in the draft. With their cap problems, they may very well have to let some of their own free agents leave, and CB Andre Dyson could very well be one of them.

7. Oakland Raiders – Ronnie Brown, RB Auburn
    The Raiders have a lot of question marks, so there are a lot of directions they could go here. But Brown is a good fit for Norv Turner’s offense and the Raiders could mask some of their deficiencies on with his abilities. Brown may possess the best all-around skills of any back in the draft.

8. Arizona Cardinals – Alex Smith, QB Utah
    In my opinion, this is a little high for Smith, but with Leinart electing to stay in school, his value just got a little higher. The Cardinals are probably eyeing one of the top-three running backs in this draft, but if all of them are gone at this point, I could certainly see them taking a potential franchise QB.

9. Washington Redskins – Erasmus James, DE Wisconsin
    The Redskins have played very well on the defensive side of the ball, but their defensive line needs improvement. James has a great first step and has the ability to take over football games.

10. Detroit Lions – Alex Barron, OT Florida State
    Right tackle Stockar McDougle has been inconsistent, and he is a free agent who will probably not be back in ’05. Kelly Butler may have the potential to start, but with Barron, the Lions would have a solid pair of tackles protecting their quarterback and Butler would give them quality depth.

11. Dallas Cowboys – Braylon Edwards, WR Michigan
    Although Dallas picked up Quincey Morgan and Terrence Copper has shown some potential, Keyshawn Johnson will be 33 this year and the Cowboys need to add a playmaker at wide receiver. Edwards just might prove to be the best one in this year's draft pool

12. San Diego Chargers (from NY Giants) – Dan Cody, DE Oklahoma
    The Chargers were a tremendous surprise in ‘04, but they still need to upgrade at offensive tackle, guard, and safety position. However, there isn’t really a pick of value at this point at any of those positions.

13. Houston Texans – Adam Jones*, CB West Virginia
    The Texans missed out on a chance to grab a nose tackle last year when they passed on Vince Wilfork, and since Roderique Wright from Texas elected to not throw his hat in the ring, they probably won’t get their guy again this year. “Pac Man” has the talent to eventually take over for Aaron Glenn. Offensive tackle is a bigger need, but there aren’t many blue-chippers in this year’s draft.

14. Carolina Panthers – Heath Miller* TE Virginia
    The Panthers are a team that is sitting in a position where there is not likely to be a lot of players that fill a need and still provide value at this position. And this might be a little high for Miller, but he would really open up the Panthers offense, especially if they can figure out a way to keep Muhsin Muhammad on the roster.

15. Kansas City Chiefs - Marlin Jackson, CB Michigan
    This might be a bit high for Jackson, but if he runs well in pre-draft workouts he will move back into the middle of the first round. He is a very versatile player with great size and athletic ability, and he has enough speed and strength to match-up most of the NFL’s top receivers.

16. New Orleans Saints – Shawne Merriman*, OLB Maryland
    The Saints are one of the most inconsistent teams in the league, and they lack playmakers on the defensive side of the ball, especially at linebacker. Merriman would be a great addition to the linebacking corps and would likely make an immediate impact on this anemic defense.

17. Cincinnati Bengals – Travis Johnson, DT Florida State
    The Bengals defense has started to come on strong, but John Thornton and Tony Williams are adequate at best at defensive tackle. Johnson is solid against the run and gets consistent pentration. He would probably be an immediate contributor for Marvin Lewis’ defense.

18. Minnesota Vikings – Channing Crowder*, ILB Florida
    The Vikings would like to find a top-notch corner to pair with Antoine Winfield so they can move Brian Williams back to safety but in my opinion, Crowder is a better value than Carlos Rogers at this point. They also need a big nose tackle so they can move Kevin Williams to the under tackle position, but there isn’t a top-notch nose tackle in the draft. Crowder may be the best defensive player left on the board, and he could be used on the inside or outside.

19. St. Louis Rams – Carlos Rogers, CB Auburn
    The Rams need an upgrade at cornerback with shut-down skills. Rogers improved dramatically from his junior to senior season, and developed into one of the nations best man-to-man cover corners. He also possesses tremendous skills as a gunner on special teams.

20. Dallas Cowboys (from Buffalo) – David Pollack, DE Georgia
    Somewhere during the first round, the Cowboys must address their pass rush by either adding a defensive end with pass-rushing skills or picking up a nose tackle that can occupy blockers. Pollack doesn’t have great size or speed, but he holds up well against the run and is a very disruptive player with decent pass-rushing skills.

21. Jacksonville Jaguars – Matt Roth, DE Iowa
    Hugh Douglas was cut and Paul Spicer is coming off a season-ending injury. Look for the Jaguars to grab an end in the early rounds to complement their talented duo at tackle. Roth is a relentless pass rusher with a knack for making big plays.

22. Baltimore Ravens – Troy Williamson*, WR South Carolina
    The Ravens really need to bring in an experienced veteran at wide receiver to aid QB Kyle Boller’s development, and they could also use a talented youngster to groom for the long term. Williamson has great size and speed, and would be a welcome addition to the Ravens receiving corps.

23. Seattle Seahawks – Marcus Spears, DE LSU
    Chike Okeafor and Brandon Mitchell could both be gone when the season ends, so the Hawks could be looking for a left defensive end… a role Spears fits perfectly. He has the size to hold up to the run and the quickness to be a threat as a pass rusher, and should be an every-down player in the NFL.

24. Green Bay Packers – Thomas Davis*, S Georgia
    There is a lot of speculation, once again, that the Packers will take a quarterback here to be Brett Favre’s successor, but that’s not likely, in my view. Green Bay will most likely want to take extended looks at Craig Nall and J.T. O’Sullivan before they decide neither is the answer. Of bigger concern for the Packers is the safety position, which could be filled nicely by Davis. The junior safety out of Georgia is projected by some to move to outside linebacker in the NFL, but if he can improve his range somewhat, he can be a very good safety in the NFL.

25. Denver Broncos – Shaun Cody, DT USC
    The Broncos lack a pass rush from their front four, and Cody is a one-gap tackle who consistently gets penetration. He’s a bit of a tweener and could eventually end up on the outside if he doesn’t bulk up a little.

26. New York Jets – Ernest Shazor*, S Michigan
    The Jets could stand an upgrade at corner, but Justin Miller might be a stretch at this point. Reggie Tongue has become a liability at safety and will likely be replaced in the off-season. Shazor has the ability to play either safety position or possibly even outside linebacker in the NFL.

27. Atlanta Falcons – Jamaal Brown, OT Oklahoma
    Michael Vick needs an upgrade protecting his blindside, and although Brown played on the right side in college, he has the athletic ability to move to left tackle in the NFL.

28. San Diego Chargers – Elton Brown, OG Virginia
    A lot of draft boards have dropped Brown to as far as the late second round, but don’t be fooled. The guy has legitimate first-round talent. He is a massive blocker with tremendous power and excellent mobility. He’s just a very complete player.

29. Indianapolis Colts – Odell Thurman*, MLB Georgia
    The Colts make a lot of big plays on defense, but they remain soft up the middle. Thurman, who is a tremendous natural athlete, would be a step in the right direction toward solving that problem.

30. New England Patriots – Justin Miller*, CB Clemson
    The Patriots are as solid up and down their roster as any team in the league, but after watching their secondary crumble with injuries, they’ll be looking to add depth in the draft. Miller has good speed and agility, and he possesses explosive abilities as a corner or return man.

31. Philadelphia Eagles – Kevin Burnett, OLB Tennessee
    The Eagles need to upgrade their linebacking corps, and Burnett has the ability to quickly supplant Nate Wayne on the weak side. He’s a playmaker with excellent speed, and has shown no ill effects from the knee injury that cost him the 2002 season.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers – Corey Webster, CB LSU
    The Steelers secondary improved considerably in ’04, but they need to continue with the influx of youth. Injuries slowed Webster his senior year, and his draft stock slipped as a result. However, he is a polished player who should make a quick transition to the NFL.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: About.com's 2005 Mock Draft v1.2 (1/18/05)

19. St. Louis Rams – Carlos Rogers, CB Auburn
    I just can't see spending a 1st round pick on Rogers. He's great, but I don't think he's first round great, especially with bigger need fillers (Jamaal Brown, Elton Brown, Kevin Burnett) all still sitting on the board.

Here's another question: This is the 5th or 6th mock I've seen with us in the 19th position. I thought our exit in the 2nd round of the playoffs would dictate, at best, a 25 pick. Is that not right?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I'm sure it's right, but since the playoffs aren't over, the final four slots are undetermined, and perhaps everyone is just waiting for those to be cleared up before applying all changes to the draft order.

elAcky Guest

with Leinart off the board, if i were san fran i'd trade out of that position

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by elAcky
    That's worth considering. They got too many holes to fill with one spot and this draft doesn't have an immediate season-saver in it. They could probably get several solid picks and/or maybe a vet or two for that top spot.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by elAcky
    As would I, but a lot of mock drafts don't make trades in their prediction.