Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: According to PFW, no prospect should be drafted.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

According to PFW, no prospect should be drafted.

I picked up a couple of draft guides recently. One, published by Lindy's, is pretty good.

The other, put out by Pro Football Weekly, is laughable.

In each section on the top propects at each position, there is a series of quotes from unnamed scouts, most of which are regarding Top 10 prospects at each position.

Each quote reads something like: "Joe Schmoe looks the part, and can do some things well, but he really sucks at _____________."

If you read these quotes, the only conclusion is that nobody is worth drafting.

Its an odd editorial choice for PFW. I'm sure that you could find a scout or two with something bad to say about every draft propect. The quesiton is, why publish only those quotes? Obviously, some of these guys are going to be good pros.

I think I want my $7.99 back.
    Rambos and Randart like this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: According to PFW, no prospect should be drafted.

AvR that is why you go to a place like Border's if they are still in business, as many bookstores are closing cause of the computer and twitter world and proof read before buying. Saves lots of heart ache and you can have an expresso at the coffee bar while reading...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    AvR that is why you go to a place like Border's if they are still in business, as many bookstores are closing cause of the computer and twitter world and proof read before buying. Saves lots of heart ache and you can have an expresso at the coffee bar while reading...

I know, but buying Draft Guides and Preview Magazines is a tradition for me that goes back over 30 years. Hard to break the habit.
    Randart likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I used to buy just about every rag that came out, especially way back in the day when fantasy football first surfaced here on Maui many years ago. How many? Well - let's just say only one guy in our league (there were 10 guys) had a computer at the time, the rest of us had to comb through newspapers to stay abreast of players, scores, injuries, etc. We jealously viewed his use of the computer as a sneaky way of cheating.

Nowadays I buy just one publication: PFW Draft Preview. I have every issue going back as far as 1991. For those who may not have seen one, it's about the size of a Reader's Digest, with little money spent on colorful pictures - rather it has stats on over 350 players both pros & cons. PFW's magazine on the other hand - I'd agree with Av. Actually I don't think much of any of the magazines including Lindy's, as they are published too soon, whereas the PFW Draft guide isn't released until the end of March or early April, so that combine and pro day results along with FA moves can be included.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I know, but buying Draft Guides and Preview Magazines is a tradition for me that goes back over 30 years. Hard to break the habit.
    Try cutting back with pamphlets.