Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By iStillBelieve

Thread: Aeneas Williams says he would pass on Julio Jones

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Aeneas Williams says he would pass on Julio Jones

Aeneas on ESPN radio with DeMarco Farr asking questions said he would pass on Julio Jones because the teams that have franchise QB's dont need franchise WR's. He said a franchise QB which he thinks Bradford is can find open WR's and get them the ball. He said he would rather have a DE or DT.

You can listen to the interview here.

101ESPN.com: Audio Player - Aeneas Williams

If Clayton, Avery, and Dx are healthy next year thats like adding three new WR's with talent to the team next year. Even if only two are back that would be a big improvement. We also have Gibson who is 6'0 210 and only 23 years old. We have Amendola who had 85 receptions last year. We have Gilyard who could improve and who knows if Laurent can't bounce back in a new system he is 6'2 and only 25 years old.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-28-2011 at 01:18 AM.

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Re: Aeneas Williams says he would pass on Julio Jones

I tend to agree with this, but I will trust whatever the FO does. I have heard some very good things and some pretty bad things about Julio Jones the last few months, but I have not seen too much of him for myself. So because of that I will just assume that Devaney & CO know what they are doing, and not try to pretend like I know more just because I saw Julio's 40 time.

Also, I LOVE Danario Alexander.
    RamsSB99 likes this.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Ugggh, all of these arguments against Jones are extremely compelling. I have been on the Julio bandwagon the entire off season, and I moved up to front after the combine. The Seahawk game left a bad feeling in my stomach for a long time, and I know if we had improved wide outs we would have been in the playoffs. Part of me says do everything you can to land this kid, the other part says wait it out, grab him if he is at 14. Now I'm thinking our receivers are improved even if we don't add another wr. Torn.

I will disagree with the great Aeneas though; Manning to Harrison, Manning to Wayne, Brady to Moss, Culpepper to Moss (hey he was elite once upon a time), Montana to Rice, Young to Rice, Warner to Bruce, Warner to Holt, Warner to Fitzgerald, Bradshaw to Swann, Marino to Clayton, and the list goes on.

Will Bradford to Julio be on that list one day?

I just don't know. Luckily its B D's choice, not some college kid who is more concerned with the draft than his final exams.
    Last edited by C-Mob 71; -04-28-2011 at 01:10 AM.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I completely disagree with him. Most franchise QB's I think of always had a #1 to throw to. Last year is fresh enough in my mind that I can't forget our WR's getting absolutely zero separation for Bradford. I think our WR corp will be much better next year when the injured guys come back, but there's no guarantee that those injuries aren't going to hit again. We really need more talent at the #1 slot IMO

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Although the success of any team depends on a lot of factors, I think you could look to New England as an example to back up Aeneas' point. They won all their Super Bowls without any dominant WR's. That said, I still like the impact receiver model for making an offense potent and hope the Rams get Jones to work towards that end.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Although the success of any team depends on a lot of factors, I think you could look to New England as an example to back up Aeneas' point. They won all their Super Bowls without any dominant WR's. That said, I still like the impact receiver model for making an offense potent and hope the Rams get Jones to work towards that end.
    Sure, you could point to them or the Eagles who at least got to the NFC Championship game year after year when Todd Pinkston was the best they had. Of course, it's worth noting that in both cases, they had a good quarterback but the team's real strength was defense. New England's offense was good enough to win 3 championships by a field goal apiece. I actually agree that elite wide receivers are not necessary if your defense is good enough; however, adding one receiver can be enough to significantly improve an offense, whereas building a good defense is more of a team effort.

chiguy is offline Registered User

One thing that is stunning obvious about the Rams -- the need more playmakers on offense. I understand Williams' point, but we need speed, size, and athletic ability on office. No denying that.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I can see Aeneas' argument, but I think our offense was really flat many times last year. I do think its partly because of the WR corps, but its also because our OL needs to run block better.

This year is unique with the lockout and even more of a premium is being placed on the draft, because nobody is quite sure what FA will bring. We certainly need more talent on defense, but without some quality additions on offense, they will simply break down in the 4th quarter again. And at this point, you can't count on Avery, Clayton, or Alexander. I think you could rightly rest some of the burden on their shoulders, but not enough to justify passing on Jones if available.

I think in a non-lockout year you could have had other options available, but I think we are in a somewhat unique position.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Aeneas' opinion is less a thumbs down on JJ than it is a thumbs up on the DeSpags approach of rebuilding a team from the ball outwards,imo.

All I know is that I wouldn't have traded Avery for Brandon Lloyd last August.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Sure, you could point to them or the Eagles who at least got to the NFC Championship game year after year when Todd Pinkston was the best they had. Of course, it's worth noting that in both cases, they had a good quarterback but the team's real strength was defense. New England's offense was good enough to win 3 championships by a field goal apiece. I actually agree that elite wide receivers are not necessary if your defense is good enough; however, adding one receiver can be enough to significantly improve an offense, whereas building a good defense is more of a team effort.
    I tend to agree with you, and while I think there will always be instances where Aeneas' theory applies, there will be just as many or more where it does not. IMO, the Rams' situation this year applies to the latter, and there is no way way I would pass on Jones if available at 14 as Aeneas suggests.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

While I do agree that a great QB can make regular wideouts good, I dont think we have regular wideouts. I think we can all agree that most of our receivers except maybe Amendola and Alexander have very bad hands. We have all seen Bradford put the ball right in the hands of a receiver and watched the ball just fall to the ground. I would feel better with a #1 receiver.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I really do see Mr. Aeneas' point and can provide many examples for and against his argument with other teams at other periods of time BUT FOR THIS TEAM I feel we need a true #1 receiver. Exibhit A: The last game of the season against the SeaSquaks we have 2 WR out for the season and our healthy WR couldn't catch **** or make any plays. I honestly want to get a Leuiget or Smith but Julio would shore up our WR core in case of injuries and would help make sure everyone is busting it for a position from competetion.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I agree with many pionts made so far, but I would not trade down and risk hurting the franchise by giving up all the picks to select WR J. Jones. Maybe if the team was only a WR short for a run at the superbowl. The Rams need several players (DE Hall 34), (DT Robbins 34), SS, FS, OLB and G.
    A back up RB would be nice. I would like to see how the WR corp does this year with all the injured WR's back and in a new system.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I guess the Falcons did not get the memo.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Clearly, the Falcons believe they are "one player a way," because they really mortgaged their future.