Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Ahem... a brief announcement... THE RAMS WILL NOT TAKE A TE IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!

I don't get it.

At least half of the mock drafts I've seen (not so much here, but on the net) have the Rams taking TE Vernon Davis in the first round.

Let me be very clear here:

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!

The Rams will not waste their first pick on a TE when they have so many glaring needs on defense. Won't happen. No way, no how.

It seems like most of those picking Davis for the Rams are just thinking "oh, they're the Rams, they always pick offense.

Oh, really?

Even under Mike Martz, the Rams have picked a defensive player with five of their last seven first round picks. Plus, the team has lost, and stands to lose, far more on the defensive side of the ball due to free agency.

I'm sure Davis is a great prospect, and he'd look great in a Ram uniform.

Its just not going to happen.

No matter how many people say it will.

general counsel is online now Registered User

Re: Ahem... a brief announcement... THE RAMS WILL NOT TAKE A TE IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!

I agree 100% with AV. I continue to contend that while an upgrade at tight end would be great, even a guy with all the talent of a vernon davis, its a luxery item we cant afford. Not to beat a dead horse, but until we actually throw to manu consistently and he proves that he cant do the job, i am not going to conclude that he cant be a weapon in the red zone or anywhere else. Most importantly, as av notes, we need the help much more on defense than we do on offense. We have plenty of weapons on offense. the incremental effect of adding a terrific tight end will not have the same overall impact on the team as a defensive player of comparable ability. I would like to know whether anyone on this board was saying last year "Gee if we only had a front line tight end to help us score more tds in the red zone our team will have a much better chance at making the playoffs." Many of us were stating that our problems in the red zone were badly hurting the team and i agree 100% with that, but i dont see how anyone can conclude that manu was the cause of that when we never threw him the ball, our pass blocking was suspect and our running game was lousy.

For the rams to be successful we need balance. We dont need an all pro at every position on offense, we need a dramatically improved defense. That is not going to be faciltated by taking a tight end with the 11th pick.

It may well be that the best talent on the board at #11 is offense, ie vernon davis or jay cutler. This is not a knock on davis. If that is the case, i think we will do our best to trade down if we dont believe that an impact defensive player is available.

If huff and vernon davis are both on the board at #11, i defy someone on this board to explain how it helps the rams more as a team to take the tight end. Should be an interesting debate.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Re: Ahem... a brief announcement... THE RAMS WILL NOT TAKE A TE IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!

From everything I expect to occur, Vernon Davis will be the best player on the board when the Rams select. He has WR speed in a TEs body. He is a playmaker who's stock will skyrocket after the combine. He has great hands, is a great blocker, and is a significant upgrade over any of our TEs.

The Rams will select the best player on the board. Huff should be selected earlier and I fully expect to see Vernon Davis as the Rams first round selection.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

completely agreed AV...we have way too many holes on the D to fill to select a TE. Plus, Linehan can't be that dumb and although Davis might be the best available player when we select, we should look for the best defensive player available not the best player available overall...our second option would be to trade down and if all else fails...heck go ahead and select Davis, it just doesnt make sense to pick him that's all.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

We have a hole at TE. Davis is the most explosive TE to come out in a while. He could fill the H-Back position that Linehan loves as well.

I get the feeling that most people who dont want Davis, havent seen him play. He is amazing.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    We have a hole at TE. Davis is the most explosive TE to come out in a while. He could fill the H-Back position that Linehan loves as well.

I get the feeling that most people who dont want Davis, havent seen him play. He is amazing.
    True...our TE position is weak but is it as bad as our DE, DT, OLB, MLB,SS and FS positions??? It is certainly debatable...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

No, I think most people who don't want Davis would rather see the Rams shore up one of the league's worst defensive units, since that's what's been costing us games.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

I have sen him play and he is great, but with the depth at tight end we can afford to wait 'til the second or third round, and if he is the best player at the spot maybe we can trade back with someone who really wants him. Also we will probally pick up an extra third round pick from Curtis; I think someone will sigh him as a RFA with the weak draft at the position, which could change our whole draft board.

Quote Originally Posted by serkicker32
    I have sen him play and he is great, but with the depth at tight end we can afford to wait 'til the second or third round, and if he is the best player at the spot maybe we can trade back with someone who really wants him. Also we will probally pick up an extra third round pick from Curtis; I think someone will sigh him as a RFA with the weak draft at the position, which could change our whole draft board.
    The Rams would be rather foolish to not give Curtis the first round tender. If they do, I don't see a team signing him.

your right Nick, but if we could get first day value for him we should. We have a lot of money already in the position, so we can't afford to sign him long term, signing him next year will be hell, and how do you convince a guy to play no. 3 when he can and should be a no. 2. If Ike stays, I believe we should trade Kevin for what we can while we still can. We already have too much money in the offence and this is what the good teams do.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

well...how good is our chance to get Vernon? I saw a video, and I immediately said I want this guy on the rams so badly!

his combine performance will probally put him a couple picks ahead of us unless he ends up being shorter than we are told

Quote Originally Posted by serkicker32
    your right Nick, but if we could get first day value for him we should. We have a lot of money already in the position, so we can't afford to sign him long term, signing him next year will be hell, and how do you convince a guy to play no. 3 when he can and should be a no. 2. If Ike stays, I believe we should trade Kevin for what we can while we still can. We already have too much money in the offence and this is what the good teams do.
    I couldn't disagree with this strategy more. When Az left, the Rams struggled to find a #3 receiver. Finally we've found one, and we should trade him away? Good teams don't fill holes for a year or two only to trade away that player. I'm not sure why you don't think we can afford to sign him long term, either. He's not going to command top dollar. A moderate contract that's rather backloaded would be fine, and we can afford that. Once he reaches the latter stages of it, Bruce will probably retire and Curtis will be starting. We can renegotiate an extension then, or decide on other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6
    well...how good is our chance to get Vernon? I saw a video, and I immediately said I want this guy on the rams so badly!
    Davis could go to San Fran @ 6/7, to Detroit @ 9, or to Arizona @ 10. I could very much see him in Arizona, simply because it gives the Cardinals that third receiver option to take attention away from Boldin and Fitz.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I get the feeling that most people who dont want Davis, havent seen him play.
    I get the feeling that most people who want Davis play too much Madden Football.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I would love to draft an athletic TE, Marcedes Lewis to be exact, but absolutely not at the expense of the defensive side of the ball. I would be shocked and outraged if we took a TE, ANY TE with our first pick.

It has as much of a chance of happening as Art Shell had of being hired as our HC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast