Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Ahem... a brief announcement... THE RAMS WILL NOT TAKE A TE IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!

My gosh I can't believe the people here who still want to take Huff over Davis. We took 3 Dbs in 4 rounds last year. We took a TE in what the 6th who shows nothing. Vernon Davis has mad talent and is already better than alot of star Tight Ends when they came in. Davis will eventually develop into a great blocker like Tony Gonzalez (SE) and has the speed of a WR and has very soft hands. I'd take this guy over Huff in an instant.

My board
    1) Davis
    2) Greenway
    3) Mario Williams
    4) Jimmy Williams
    5) Michael Huff

RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ahem... a brief announcement... THE RAMS WILL NOT TAKE A TE IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    My gosh I can't believe the people here who still want to take Huff over Davis.
    I can't believe there are people who would rate Jimmy Williams over Michael Huff either, but that's the beauty of everyone having their own opinion.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Davis could go to San Fran @ 6/7, to Detroit @ 9, or to Arizona @ 10. I could very much see him in Arizona, simply because it gives the Cardinals that third receiver option to take attention away from Boldin and Fitz.
    I could see him going to San Fran, but not Detroit or Arizona. I see Huff landing in Ariozna or Baltimore. I see a defensive player landing in Detroit, also possibly Huff. When the Rams make their selection, it will most likely be either Davis or Greenway. As deep as this LB class is (DeMeco Ryans possibly falling to the second round because it is so deep) we could find a great LB in the second round. Guys like Davis dont come around very often, and this is a position of need for the Rams.

The Rams need a TE to fix some problems such as, the Red Zone, blocking, and a safety valve for Bulger. Davis is perfect for this offense and this team.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I could see him going to San Fran, but not Detroit or Arizona.
    Why's that? Clearly the Lions and Cardinals have an interest in bringing in quality players at TE in their offenses, hence their signing Pollard and Teyo Johnson respectively. But neither worked out like they thought. I could see Martz really going for a guy like Davis to have another target in his offense since Detroit's WRs are a mixed bag.

The Rams need a TE to fix some problems such as, the Red Zone, blocking, and a safety valve for Bulger. Davis is perfect for this offense and this team.
    If the Rams need a TE as a red zone target and for blocking, is Davis really the number one guy for that role? His speed and athleticism allow him to stretch the field and go vertical. That's really his biggest asset. But a lack of ideal height (6'3") and only average skills as a blocker seem to suggest to me he doesn't fit the description you laid out of what we need.

I'm not saying Davis couldn't block or won't be a good red zone target, but if we're looking for that kind of player, Leonard Pope is a better fit because of his size and blocking ability. Or you could look at a Joe Klopfenstein or Anthony Fasano later in Day One.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Why's that? Clearly the Lions and Cardinals have an interest in bringing in quality players at TE in their offenses, hence their signing Pollard and Teyo Johnson respectively. But neither worked out like they thought. I could see Martz really going for a guy like Davis to have another target in his offense since Detroit's WRs are a mixed bag.
    I erase the Lions because of their defensive minded HC. He wants to improve that defense desperately. He's not going to go TE in the first round.

The Cardinals are much the same, except that they have offensive line, defensive line, secondary, and LB issues. I really expect Huff to land here.

If the Rams need a TE as a red zone target and for blocking, is Davis really the number one guy for that role? His speed and athleticism allow him to stretch the field and go vertical. That's really his biggest asset. But a lack of ideal height (6'3") and only average skills as a blocker seem to suggest to me he doesn't fit the description you laid out of what we need.
    I agree with you here. In fact, I had Pope rated as the #1 TE for a long time. I then saw Davis play. I read more about Linehan's offense and his success with H-Backs. Davis is the perfect fit for that. I just get the feeling that Linehan will fall in love with Davis' speed and his mean streak when it comes to blocking. I really dont see how the Rams can go wrong with whoever they select here.

1.)Davis-Although many people might not like this pick, he's a great player who will improve the offense tremendously.

2.)Huff-He will improve the secondary with his ball hawk safety play

3.)Greenway-Tough player who will instantly improve the LB corps and improve the run support

4.)Ryans-A very smart LB who wont make the dumb mistakes that a lot of rookies make. He will improve the run support and be a leader in the locker room failry quickly.

If one of those four guys is selected in the first round by the Rams, I wont complain at all.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I could see him going to San Fran, but not Detroit or Arizona. I see Huff landing in Ariozna or Baltimore. I see a defensive player landing in Detroit, also possibly Huff. When the Rams make their selection, it will most likely be either Davis or Greenway. As deep as this LB class is (DeMeco Ryans possibly falling to the second round because it is so deep) we could find a great LB in the second round. Guys like Davis dont come around very often, and this is a position of need for the Rams.

Exactly why I'd want Davis on our team, for red zone especially, but we can use him all over the field, even on special teams we can use this guy, he's perfect for us, in the red zone have you seen what a MONSTER this guy is when he gets the ball??? he's a friggen beast, he'd be an exceptional addition for the rams, we need this guy badly

I erase the Lions because of their defensive minded HC. He wants to improve that defense desperately. He's not going to go TE in the first round.

The Cardinals are much the same, except that they have offensive line, defensive line, secondary, and LB issues. I really expect Huff to land here.
    At this point, I expect Detroit to go OT, maybe DE. Jeff Backus is an UFA and even if they resign him they'll need someone to play RT, which was a weak point all season. Winston Justice would be a nice fit there due to his experience at RT at USC protecting the left handed Leinart. But I really have Davis pegged in Arizona at this point. I expect the best OT and DT to be off the board, and I'm not sure there's a LB worth taking at that point. Certainly no guard or center. The Cardinals defense ranked 8th in 2005. If you think Brandon Manumaleuna isn't an ideal option for us at TE, how do you think the Cardinals feel with Eric Edwards and Adam Bergen?

I agree with you here. In fact, I had Pope rated as the #1 TE for a long time. I then saw Davis play. I read more about Linehan's offense and his success with H-Backs. Davis is the perfect fit for that. I just get the feeling that Linehan will fall in love with Davis' speed and his mean streak when it comes to blocking.
    I'm not trying to make the case that Pope is the top TE prospect. But getting Davis is like buying a Porsche when you really just need a Civic.

You said it yourself - the Rams need a guy who will make an excellent red zone target and a guy who can hold their own as a blocker. We can get an efficient player later in the draft to fill that role, and spend our first round pick addressing areas of bigger need by drafting a defensive player of good value at 11th overall.

Let me put it this way. The Rams' offense, even in a down year, ranked 9th in yardage and 11th in scoring. We have Bulger, Jackson, Faulk (assumption), Holt, Bruce, Curtis. Do we really need another playmaker on a good offensive unit, or do we need a playmaker on a defensive unit that ranked second to last in scoring? Davis would be a great addition, but no matter what kind of player he becomes, it'd be hard for me to not think we missed a good opportunity to improve the real area of our team that's keeping us from another title.

general counsel is offline Registered User

For those of you that make the point that "we have a tight end that has done nothing" how many times exactly has the ball been thrown to manu? The tight end has not been part of our offense. Thus, the tight end hasnt been a weapon and has not been a safety valve check off, thus, manu has done basically nothing.

I am concerned with turning our overall team performance around, not upgrading at any one specific position. I dont see how people can conclude that adding an all pro at the tight end position really upgrades the rams that much on offense. There is only one ball guys. You can only throw it one place at a time. Holt, bruce, curtis, jackson and hopefully faulk give us plenty of weapons. We have what we need to score points if we commit to the running game and have better blocking from the offensive line. The offensive line is a lot more critical in terms of our red zone performance than a tight end.

This is a question of balance. I just dont believe that any tight end is going to move the needle materially for the rams offense. If bulger has more time to throw, we will score plenty of points. Since when has there been an issue with the rams having open receivers down the field, including in the red zone. a big part of the problem is the time bulger has to throw and the lack of a running game. You want a better blocking tight end, fine, i dont disagree, but you dont need to use the #11 pick to accomplish that. Holt, bruce, curtis are open down the field on play after play if bulger has time to get them the ball.

I just find it interesting that people think a tight end is going to have the overall impact on the team that a comparable defensive player will have. Our defense was about the worst in the entire league last year and we are talking about drafting a tight end in round one!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Nick when I said we could'nt afford him, I ment we have too much money on offence already and that with a weak recieving class this year and only an average FA class his value could be greatly inflated. As for replacing him, a solid tight end and Shaun McDonald could do that IMO.
    Back to V. Davis. I agree with him going possibly a little before us. He is expected to have an outstanding combine. Like I said before, the only thing I can see making him avalible at 11 is if he is shorter than advertised. And for everyone talking about how deep this draft is in OLBs, it is just as deep in TEs. We could get the Norte Dame TE or possibly Lewis, Pope, or Byrd slip to us. I would prefer Lewis over all of them followed by Pope, the Norte Dame kid, and then Byrd

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

One other thing, I just loked at Scott's passt no. 3 recievers, and he hasnn't had a big impact from the position in the pros. He uses his tight end as his third reciever.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I think our D just needs to grow, and be in the right direction from our coaches. Obviously that didn't happen. So, I think now with the new coaches we'd be good, and that's why I'd say just get Vernon Davis, for protection and what not, he's got incredible strength to break away tackles, obviously he could hold one up, and let steven jackson work his magic. It's just one of those things where your that much more of an elite offense (when all healthy and with a good o-line) I think our D just needs to step up, and get a good start heading into the right direction.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambos is offline Registered User

From everything I expect to occur, Vernon Davis will be the best player on the board when the Rams select. He has WR speed in a TEs body. He is a playmaker who's stock will skyrocket after the combine. He has great hands, is a great blocker, and is a significant upgrade over any of our TEs.

The Rams will select the best player on the board. Huff should be selected earlier and I fully expect to see Vernon Davis as the Rams first round selection.
    If he is the best player on the board we will take him!

I would be shocked if Huff is on the board and we take Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I just find it interesting that people think a tight end is going to have the overall impact on the team that a comparable defensive player will have. Our defense was about the worst in the entire league last year and we are talking about drafting a tight end in round one!
    I'm surprised as well, GC. All this season we talked about two things - poor defensive coaching and poor defensive execution. And now, when we have the chance to add a talented young defensive talent to shore up one position of weakness, we're supposed to draft a tight end? I just don't agree with the logic in regards to a tight end.

Rambos is offline Registered User

You don’t have to make your first pick in the draft a defensive player to upgrade your defense. Rams in second round (43rd overall) of 2003 NFL Draft. Tinoisamoa, you just have to find the right guy. D Lewis looked like the right guy, but we have yet to see it. If we could get a couple of FA on the defensive side of the ball and add an all-pro TE in the draft, we would surely be a better team overall.

general counsel is offline Registered User

It is certainly a fair point to say that we should reevaluate what we are going to do in the draft once we see the results of free agency, including the results of what we do with our own guys. This includes ascertaining our cap situation once we see what happens with pickett, bruce and faulk and also coakley and claiborne.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast