Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By xkidflowx
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By ManofGod

Thread: Ahh yes... God may help us again.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Ahh yes... God may help us again.

Raiders released CB Stanford Routt.

Routt had restructured his contract last August to five years and $54.5 million, an exorbitant number even for the team's top cover corner. Routt's contract was said to contain $20 million in guarantees over the first two years, but the new regime decided he was no longer worth the money after struggling down the stretch last season. Adam Caplan of TheSidelineView.com reports Routt's $5 million base salary would guarantee if he was still on the roster by Friday. The Raiders entire secondary must be rebuilt this offseason. Routt will draw plenty of interest, and can sign immediately because he was cut.

The Raiders have just cut their #1 CB Stanford Routt. This guy was solid last year and was even better with Asomugha around. I think we should heavily look into the idea of signing him. He can play great football, and pairing him with our CB's would be excellent. Plus he wouldn't break the bank like Finnegan.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Ahh yes... God may help us again.

Routt was the most penalized corner in the NFL last year, and allowed a league-worst nine touchdown receptions in 2011. He finished the year as Pro Football Focus' 89th ranked corner.

The fact that he's been cut and is now free to sign with anyone now works against the Rams, as they have no GM at the moment. I think that makes them pretty unlikely to pull the trigger on Routt.

Fisher's familiarity with Finnegan (PFF's #3 ranked CB last year) makes him a more likely target if the Rams believe CB is a priority, though you could be right in that he'll be more expensive. The health of the Rams' two starters will play a big role in how they approach the position.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Even if the Rams don't sign him I think it works in their favor. Theoretically if there were 6 teams that really need a top corner, when one of them signs Routt there will now be 5 and that'll be one less team chasing Finnegan or whoever else the Rams go after at CB. Even if they don't need him it still deepens the market.

xkidflowx is online now Registered User

guys, i just read on ESPN rumors that the titans are alreadying eyeying him so thats makes the dream for finnegan more realistic!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Routt was the most penalized corner in the NFL last year, and allowed a league-worst nine touchdown receptions in 2011. He finished the year as Pro Football Focus' 89th ranked corner.

The fact that he's been cut and is now free to sign with anyone now works against the Rams, as they have no GM at the moment. I think that makes them pretty unlikely to pull the trigger on Routt.

Fisher's familiarity with Finnegan (PFF's #3 ranked CB last year) makes him a more likely target if the Rams believe CB is a priority, though you could be right in that he'll be more expensive. The health of the Rams' two starters will play a big role in how they approach the position.
    Yeah Routt struggled last year. Though the year before he allowed a league best 39% of passes completed his way.

"
    Routt got the big contract after grading out as one of the league's top cover cornerbacks in 2010. The opposition's 39.4 percent completion rate when throwing at him was the lowest of any player targeted at least 60 times that season, according to STATS LLC. "

I really like Routt. I think he can be had for $4 million compared to Finnegan's $7 million. Routt to me as a #2, is one of the best in the NFL. The #1, not so much. Plus he adds a dimension we dont have.. Killer speed.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Looking at an article by Football Outsiders looking at numbers through week 13, Standford Routt was doing just fine in terms of coverage, easily in the top 10 corners, ranking 6th in both success rate and in yards per pass. More importantly, he had a higher success rate than Mr. Finnegan, and was giving up only 0.8 yards more per pass than Cortland (4.0 to 4.8ypp) despite being 150% further downfield than our supposed savior on the average pass (7.2 vs 10.9 yards from LOS).

Put me on the Routt to sign Stanford.

Obviously, he blew up at the end of the season I guess, and I saw some big time Raider fan hate towards him following his release, but considering that he was a solid corner when all the passes were going his way(since no one threw at Asomugha) and then held his own through most of this year now covering the top guy, I'll take a few weeks of bad with a history of very good.

Also please note that this was Cortland's best year by far. He has been strikingly average/below average for most of recent memory in terms of success rate and yards per pass.
    Last edited by TekeRam; -02-10-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Looking at an article by Football Outsiders looking at numbers through week 13, Standford Routt was doing just fine in terms of coverage, easily in the top 10 corners, ranking 6th in both success rate and in yards per pass. More importantly, he had a higher success rate than Mr. Finnegan, and was giving up only 0.8 yards more per pass than Cortland (4.0 to 4.8ypp) despite being 150% further downfield than our supposed savior on the average pass (7.2 vs 10.9 yards from LOS).

Put me on the Routt to sign Stanford.

Obviously, he blew up at the end of the season I guess, and I saw some big time Raider fan hate towards him following his release, but considering that he was a solid corner when all the passes were going his way(since no one threw at Asomugha) and then held his own through most of this year now covering the top guy, I'll take a few weeks of bad with a history of very good.

Also please note that this was Cortland's best year by far. He has been strikingly average/below average for most of recent memory in terms of success rate and yards per pass.
    Exactly, and nice last statement . Routt is very underrated, like our very own Bartell.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I think he would be great pick up. If we Bartell steps up, or we can get another CB of his caliber or better; I wouldn't mind picking him up for 4 mill.

Have a 1a 1b cornerback situation, that would be great. Iam loving the Finnegan, Routt combo possibly you allude here!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The big concern with Routt for me is the utter lack of discipline. His coverage numbers may be admirable, but he's been flagged by officials nearly forty times in the last three seasons according to PFF's tally, including 17 last year. Doesn't matter how good you're covering a guy if you end up giving the offense a first down on a stupid penalty.
    HUbison likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

he's been flagged by officials nearly forty times in the last three seasons according to PFF's tally, including 17 last year.
    Dang. That's a lot of free yardage the defense would have to make up.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Well Fisher preaches discipline, so maybe that can change him. However, no question that worries me too!

ManofGod is offline Registered User

He was horrible last year....and I mean HORRIBLE!!! He was the classic example of a guy getting a fat contract and then tanking it, he was exposed a great deal since being the #1 CB.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.