general counsel is offline Registered User

aj hawk and ramsfan16. question

Ramsfan16, i believe in a prior thread you posted that you "smell bust" in AJ Hawk. Could you please lay out for the rest of us why you feel that way and why you believe that greenway is worthy of the 11th pick in the draft while hawk has a smell of bust to him.

I completely respect your opinion, notwithstanding the fact that you are the only person on this board, or any other place that i have read for that matter, that seems to believe that greenway is a better pro prospect than aj hawk.

If i misread your prior post, i apologize in advance for asking the question.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Tony Soprano Guest

Re: aj hawk and ramsfan16. question

Just a Note on Hawk:

Around the Combine, ESPN Radio had like a 3 hour show on the NFL draft (with a heavy dose of Kiper).

Well, they kept bringing in coaches and GMs and asking them who really impresses you in this draft class and other things specific to the needs on their team.

At least 3 Head Coaches and 1 GM, when asked to name a special player in this draft - named Hawk.

Denny Green and Jack Del-Rio were two of 'em. They were really going on about the guy.

harrydog is offline Registered User

I don't want to speak for Ramsfan16, but I assume it's just a "gut feeling" he has. I can understand that. Sometimes you just have a feeling about a player and can't really say why.

One thing I like about Hawk is that (as far as I know) he's proven to be very durable. Many of the other potential picks out there (Greenway, Ngata, Bunkley) have had major knee injuries, which is always a concern.

ramstiles is online now Registered User

16 just prefers Greenway for obvious reasons from what I've seen and red Hawk is a cant miss let alone a bust

RamsFan16 Guest

No I don't prefer Greenway over him. I'd take Hawk over him although harrydog was right I just have this feeling. He kinda reminds me of a Chris Claiborne.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    No I don't prefer Greenway over him. I'd take Hawk over him although harrydog was right I just have this feeling. He kinda reminds me of a Chris Claiborne.
    I can respect the "Gut Feel" thing. However, Hawk has a better work ethic than Claiborne ever had. I think Hawk will be a major player for some lucky team.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    He kinda reminds me of a Chris Claiborne.
    Eh, I don't really think that's a great comparison. I think the only part that holds a lot of water is that they're both athletic linebackers that could play multiple positions.

However, Hawk projects to a different pro position than Claiborne did. Also, Claiborne came out early after his junior year, whereas Hawk stayed through his senior year and has that extra level of experience and maturity. Hawk's college production is better as well, as he was able to make far more plays in the opponent's backfield than Claiborne did, while having just as many turnovers with bigger big play potential, IMO.

Furthermore, Hawk's combine measurables also dwarf Claiborne's - faster straight line speed combined with much better agility and change of direction numbers. Claiborne, the MLB prospect, also put up fewer reps on the bench (16, incidentally), which is rather odd since MLBs are traditionally stronger.

I don't know. I view Hawk as a relatively safe prospect in this draft. I would be surprised if he completely busted out.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

If you want to say that you dont think hawk will live up to expectations, that it one type of argument. Suggesting that you have a gut feel that he will be a bust while at the same time suggesting that you still take him ahead of greenway, a guy you have extolled the virtues of over and over, doesnt seem consistent.

Time will tell on hawk of course like it will on all these guys. I will say this. If hawk does turn out to be a bust, i will write a letter to espn demanding that ramsfan16 be given equal air time with kipper for all forthcoming drafts

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Suggesting that you have a gut feel that he will be a bust while at the same time suggesting that you still take him ahead of greenway, a guy you have extolled the virtues of over and over, doesnt seem consistent.
    Agreed. If you think he's going to be a bust, why take him?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!