• 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 2 Post By THOLTFAN81
  • 1 Post By Randart
  • 1 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 1 Post By TurlockRam

Thread: AJC: Steven Jackson could be Falcons' top free agent target

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

AJC: Steven Jackson could be Falcons' top free agent target

As far as outside free agents, it appears that Steven Jackson, who reportedly will void his contract with the Rams, will be the top target in light of the release of running back Michael Turner. The reason for his release was a failed physical, according to the NFL’s transactions list.

Turner aggravated an ankle injury in the NFC Championship game. He limped off the field in the third quarter and did not return. The team did not announce any additional information about the injury or if he required offseason surgery.

Jackson could split duties with Jacquizz Rodgers, who had a strong second season. Jackson is an adept pass catcher out of the backfield and fits the scheme.
    Source: Falcons are now ready to sign their free agents | Atlanta Falcons | www.ajc.com

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: AJC: Steven Jackson could be Falcons' top free agent target

I'd be happy for SJ to land there. He'd be playing alongside the best WR duo in the league, as well as a pro bowl QB. Also, if SJ landed there, I'm sure Tony Gonzalez would return 1 more year to truly try and win it all.

If there was one team I had to choose SJ to go to, it'd be the Falcons.
    Randart likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'd be happy for SJ to land there. He'd be playing alongside the best WR duo in the league, as well as a pro bowl QB. Also, if SJ landed there, I'm sure Tony Gonzalez would return 1 more year to truly try and win it all.

If there was one team I had to choose SJ to go to, it'd be the Falcons.
    Its actually scary to think the type of production SJ could have from a fantasy football standpoint in that offense.
    sosa39rams and FestusRam like this.

Randart is offline Registered User

I agree with you sosa39 and with the op, as it just seems like a logical spot for SJax to land and excell!
    The Falcons have alot to do to improve but that would be a huge step in the right direction.
    Signing a pass rusher and or a corner, along with a good draft is imperative for them as well.
    Would be smart to resign if possiable big John Abrams as well for spot rush work as a situational guy.
    I was never a Falcons fan but like the team they have now really good chance for them if...
    sosa39rams likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I live in Atlanta. I have viewed the falcons all along as by far the #1 threat. They have some money available (although they need to resign sam baker and william moore, so their cap situation isnt quite as good as it appears, and that doesnt even account for the gonzales situation), they are very close to winning it all, they have real balance, its a great town for Jackson to live in, and they have a major need for both a power back who can catch and a veteran team leader. They also have a supportive owner willing to spend what it takes to win it all.

In fact, as i said during the season to my Falcons friends in Atlanta, if i was a Falcons fan i would have been screaming bloody murder that the Falcons didnt make an aggressive attempt to trade picks for SJ at this years trade deadline. Helen Keller could have seen that Turner was a shadow of his former self and that the Falcons defense was not going to be dominant. The Falcons failure to run the ball successfully was bound to bite them in the butt, and that is exactly what happened to them in the playoffs vs sf (and in round 1 as well vs seattle). They got a nice lead, but relying almost exclusively on passing, could not run the clock with ball control, which put too much pressure on a defense that was inevitably going to wear down against quality teams. The falcons would have been well advised to offer the Rams at least a #2 for Jackson during the season, which the rams may or may not have taken.

No matter what is said publicly, i dont think signing jackson would help the falcons bring back gonzales. I actually think it may work the other way because if the big boy signs in atlanta, they are going to be super cap strapped. I see no reason to believe that gonzales is coming back to work on the cheap. The falcons would have to pay gonzales big money up front on a multi year deal and accept the reality that they will take a cap hit on the back end, which they are probably willing to do. If he does come back and they have signed sj, i am sure that factor will be stated publicly by many, but the real reason will be because he still wants to give it another shot and the money is right.

Said another way, Jackson is needed by the Falcons more than Gonzales and he is the absolute perfect guy to try and get them over the top. Their defense has plenty of holes starting with pass rush, but their best shot is to build on strength, and an ability to put teams away with a strong running game would take an awful lot of pressure off their defense.

My guess is that they go super hard after SJ, do everything they can to induce gonzales back, and sign Dwight Freeney or maybe Osi to replace Abraham, who has very little left in the tank at age 35 and was just released.

I continue to believe its 50-50 whether SJ returns, but i view the Falcons (followed by Denver) as by far the #1 threat.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I wouldn't blame Jackson at all for signing with the Falcons. Perfect situation to cap his potential HOF career with a championship. Because of that, I'm preparing myself for the depression of losing one of my all-time favorite Rams.

As for Gonzales, he left the door open to play another year, and the addition of Jax and a great chance to get the only thing his career has denied him, a championship, would open that door a lot wider IMO. I think he'd sign an agreeable contract to do it as well.
    ZiaRam likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I wouldn't blame Jackson at all for signing with the Falcons. Perfect situation to cap his potential HOF career with a championship. Because of that, I'm preparing myself for the depression of losing one of my all-time favorite Rams.

As for Gonzales, he left the door open to play another year, and the addition of Jax and a great chance to get the only thing his career has denied him, a championship, would open that door a lot wider IMO. I think he'd sign an agreeable contract to do it as well.
    The chance for a championship does funny things to a person and I'd have to agree with your assessment. If SJ does leave us I hope it's to a loaded Falcons team and he does get a ring.

p.s. it would sadden me to great end to lose SJ to another team....
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -03-03-2013 at 08:35 PM.

TurlockRam is offline Registered User

I couldn't agree more for all the love for SJ. We all love 'em but if we can't afford him, we wish him the best.
    ZiaRam likes this.