http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3189580

sign him and convert him to an OLB?

He would make for an awesome addition IMO

ENN107 is offline Registered User

Re: Al Wilson

Why at OLB?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I wouldnt mind seeing him on our squad. However he's up there in age. BUT...seeming how things are going to change in a few years anyways...it wouldnt be a bad idea to sign him...

however we have priorities...like...Steven Jackson. we need to sign him

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

We would play him at OLB because Will Witherspoon is are ILB and we run a 4-3.

i like how you see he would be a good addition...

however, we are pretty low on money. he'll probably ask for mega bucks, and we have priorities as i mentioned above.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

a guy who came back from a major injury like that wont command big bucks more like Takeo Spikes kinda money after he came back from his achiles injury

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Or the other question is....

Jonathan Vilma will be avaliable most likely after him not fitting into Mangiinis 3-4 scheme. Do we deal for Vilma one of the best LB in the NFL IMO? Brandon Chiller and Pisa clearly arent cutting it. I would love to pick up Al Wilson or deal for Vilma and convert one of them to OLB.

ENN107 is offline Registered User

The John Clayton article states, "Wilson is considered an ideal middle linebacker in a 4-3 scheme because of his leadership and ability to line up teammates before plays." Our middle linebacker is one by name only he is better on the weak side making plays not at stuffing the run like wilson can

hmmm. you guys dont think pisa and chillar are cutting it?

would releasing those two and signing on two more to work with Witherspoon be a good idea?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Or the other question is....

Jonathan Vilma will be avaliable most likely after him not fitting into Mangiinis 3-4 scheme. Do we deal for Vilma one of the best LB in the NFL IMO? Brandon Chiller and Pisa clearly arent cutting it. I would love to pick up Al Wilson or deal for Vilma and convert one of them to OLB.
    Chillar not cutting it i think not when Pisa is healthy he is great. Spoon is our best defensive player period. We dont need to go after Vilma or Wilson we could use a mid- late round draft pick or a low priced FA just for depth since we already have Culberson and Draft. We dont need a big time backer thats just a waste of cash when we have so many more holes

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I would love to have Wilson. I know he wasn't the only loss the Broncos suffered on d but they were very good last year and horrible this year. This would be a great pickup for the Rams. I don't know how Spoon would take moving to the outside but this would make our defense clearly better. If we got Wilson, Long and a good ss I think we would have a much improved d.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

He's a middle linebacker, outisde backers are different positions. We already have a MAK.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ENN107 View Post
    Our middle linebacker is one by name only
    110 tackles, seven sacks, and two forced fumbles means he's proved it on the field as well, not just by name only.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Nick, he did have a good year however he was more like a monster back than he was a middle linebacker. I thought he came off the edges quite a bit with Little hurt.

If the Rams would happen to lose Chillar, and Wilson would be an economical replacement which would allow the Rams to move Spoon back to his original outside position, I think that would be a problem solved.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Nick, he did have a good year however he was more like a monster back than he was a middle linebacker. I thought he came off the edges quite a bit with Little hurt.

If the Rams would happen to lose Chillar, and Wilson would be an economical replacement which would allow the Rams to move Spoon back to his original outside position, I think that would be a problem solved.
    I simply don't see this team looking for a MLB to replace Witherspoon after the year he's had and the commitment they've shown in sticking with him in that position over the last two seasons. It's fun for the fans to talk about, but from day one of his time here, we heard how Spoon's a middle linebacker in Haslett's defense. Unless Haslett goes somewhere else, I don't think that changes regardless of who you could potentially get and at how cheap a price.

I dunno, people keep talking about how acquiring so-and-so would allow the Rams to move Witherspoon back outside, as if the Rams are forced to play him inside for some reason. But I think the current coaching staff likes him there, so I don't think they'll spend much time looking for a way to move him somewhere else. I think they believe that playing him in the middle of their alignment means he'll be in a better position to make plays on either side of the field, whereas moving him outside increases the distance he'd have to travel to make a play on the opposite side of the field.

Ultimately the addition of Wilson inside and a shift of Witherspoon outside may improve the overall talent of the unit, but I simply haven't' seen any indication from the organization that this is a move they'll give serious consideration to. Especially not with so many other glaring areas to address.

Also, I think there's a valid argument to be made that instead of moving a guy from a position where he's working, the team should focus on improving personnel at positions that need improvement. By that I mean that if you lose a SAM linebacker, go out and find someone else to replace him. If you think you can improve upon Pisa as a WILL linebacker, go find someone else to do it or have Chris Draft compete for time. It's the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" argument, and I don't think this team feels the MLB is broke at this point.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-14-2008 at 04:49 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast