Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Alabama OT Andre Smith has been suspended

If its only an agent. I'm not too upset about it.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Wouldn'r be too worried about it. A lapse in judegement? - sure. A character flaw? - hardly. I'd wait until the combine and combine to finalize any kind of decision on this guy.. however I was looking forward to watching him play in the bowl.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    But he did get suspended.
    That's about the only way you get out of risking injury in a meaningless collegiate exhibition game. It's not like he's forfeiting pay because of this. (presumably...or else the infractocrats are going to be a-knockin' in Tuscaloosa again.)

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    How is it poor judgement? He escapes injury in what amounts to a meaningless exhibition game (he's a lock for going in the top 5), and presumably has secured effective representation. Kind of smart if you ask me.
    I agree it is better for him and the rams he is likely to be the # 2 pick, but I think it is selfish for him to let his team down mabe they don't care about that game but I have to believe someone on that team do and for him to make that choise, he put himself over the team. Could that happen in the pros?
    :ramlogo:

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I don't know how this is a good thing at all. The kid got suspended, he broke the rules. It shows the same idiocy as a positive drug test, a bad choice. It's not something to be swept under the rug, and it's not a good thing for anyone. He avoids injury in a meaningless game? It's the biggest game of his career so far, and pending his performance could influence where he goes. He's no lock for the #2 pick, not with everything that can happen between now and the draft. What happens if Oher impresses everyone from here on out? You jump on Barron for his mental mistakes but let this one go and praise it? That's messed up.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Alabama All-America left tackle Andre Smith has been suspended from the Sugar Bowl for violating team rules, possibly signaling an end to the Outland Trophy winner's college career.
    "The University of Alabama, the team and the football program are more important than any individual player," Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban said in a statement Monday. "Every one on our team depends on each other to be responsible, to make good choices and decisions relative to their actions."

Saban did not specify Smith's violation leading up to Friday night's game against No. 7 Utah.

The junior is expected to be one of the top players selected in the NFL draft if he opts to skip his final season at Alabama. Smith has been noncommittal about his future plans, but Saban offered a hint in his statement that the player wouldn't be back.

"Andre Smith has done an outstanding job in our program as a person, student and a player and we will do all we can as an institution to support him in all future endeavors," Saban said.

"Our priority and focus as a team is to play the best football game of the season in this Sugar Bowl, and to support our players to overcome any adversity this unfortunate situation has created."

An instant starter with the Tide, Smith has allowed only one sack this season and seven during his 38-game career.

He won the Southeastern Conference's Jacobs Blocking Trophy as a sophomore and was a finalist for the Lombardi Award this season.

Earlier this month, he said he submitted his name to the NFL draft advisory board for feedback on his draft status.

"I'm not worried about it at all," Smith said at the time, adding that his focus was on the Sugar Bowl.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Again, I think it's all going to boil down to the interviews. If Smith acknowledges that, even if it was a minor offense, it was stupid and he regrets it and regrets hurting his team by being suspended, it may not be a big deal for teams. If he tries to brush it off and doesn't acknowledge that he made a mistake regardless of the severity, it could be viewed as a red flag. Concerns about his commitment and self-discipline are going to creep back up IMO - at least in fan discussions - until this is more adequately addressed.

jdh008 is offline Registered User

I don't really think that it's anything that should make any team shy away from him, but it's certainly something you wish he hadn't done. I'm surprised things like this don't come out in the public more often because I'm sure while it may not be the norm, it probably happens quite a bit.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Maybe this shows he had good character. I am positive that agents try to do all they can to talk to players before they are allowed to. Sometimes they can be tricky about the way they communicate with a player, by confusing them into talking with them. Maybe he realized he did something wrong, or felt like something was wrong, and came clean. I don't think this punishment is fair though, because I am sure that he didn't get on the phone to call up potential agents or initiate any conversation. He is simply a high profile athlete who people want to get in touch with, and being a high profile athlete, it is hard to avoid sometimes.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Nick Saban is now saying that it's an in house matter and that it has little to nothing to do with the NCAA, which would rule out talks with an agent. Obviously this is something that needs more information. If it's not contact with an agent it could be a little more to worry about than you all think.

Alabama handling investigation of Smith's suspension
    Alabama coach Nick Saban said Wednesday the suspension of Outland Trophy winner Andre Smith from Friday's Allstate Sugar Bowl was an institutional matter and not an NCAA matter.

The junior offensive tackle's suspension was related to improper dealings with an agent, but Saban would not address whether it was Smith or somebody else on his behalf that had improper dealings.

"This is an institutional matter. It's not an NCAA matter, which has been verified by the NCAA," Saban told reporters in his first comments on the suspension. "So anybody that's out there worried about that doesn't need to really think too much about it."

Smith, who was sent home from New Orleans where the Crimson Tide will play the Utah Utes Jan. 2, declined to comment about the specifics of the matter, which is being investigated by Alabama officials.

The state of Alabama has stringent laws regarding agents and anybody posing as an agent, including runners. Alabama attorney general Troy King released a statement Wednesday vowing to get to the bottom of everything.

"The university has already begun its own internal investigation. I have been promised and am now awaiting the results of that investigation," King said in the statement. "As soon as I receive them, we will move swiftly to determine whether any violations have occurred and, if so, to hold those responsible accountable."

The NCAA said in a statement that it has been in contact with Alabama and that the "institution is handling the matter."

Saban said it wasn't his place to provide further details when pressed by reporters.

"This is a family issue. It's something that happened internally with a player on our team," Saban said. "I know there's interest out there, but I don't feel like it's my place to give out that information about our players & and I'm not going to."

Saban praised Smith as a fine young man who had represented Alabama well and stressed that his legacy shouldn't be tarnished by this incident. Saban also said that no decision has been made as to whether Smith will return to Alabama for his senior season or turn pro.

Smith is rated by ESPN's Todd McShay as the No. 2 prospect in the NFL draft if he decides to come out, which most observers feel he will.

"It's very disappointing and unfortunate that not good judgment was used in a circumstance that has created consequences for him in terms of him being able to participate in this game," Saban said. "It's unfortunate. But hopefully it's something we can all learn from and other players on our team will learn from as well in terms of when you do things right, things usually work out the right way. And if you don't, they don't.

"And sometimes, when you don't, your actions create consequences and that can go in a positive way or it can go in a negative way. And this one didn't work out that good."

Saban confirmed that Mike Johnson would shift from left guard to left tackle against Utah, with sophomore David Ross moving into the starting lineup at left guard.

Chris Low covers the SEC for ESPN.com

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    That's about the only way you get out of risking injury in a meaningless collegiate exhibition game. It's not like he's forfeiting pay because of this. (presumably...or else the infractocrats are going to be a-knockin' in Tuscaloosa again.)
    This is true, but I can't see how it works out in his favour. I mean, if he gets hurt, which, let's face it, has happened probably once in the last 5 years to top prospects (Willis McGahee in 03), then he has the option to return to school and solidify his status as an equal to any OT who's come out in recent memory.

This really doesn't attest to his character as a 'team' player, suggesting he's more concerned with himself than with the team he still plays for. Personally, I'm not sure I trust him on that basis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12