Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country is offline Registered User

Alan Branch Interview

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Alan Branch Interview

Quotes to note...

Bensinger: Would you like teams to give you more consideration as a defensive end?

Branch: Shoot, they can put me anywhere on the line and I'll be happy to play! I just want to get in there and show what I got.
    Bensinger: I heard you had a fun Pro Day. Chiefs' defensive line coach Tim Krumrie worked you out. What do you think of him?

Branch: (laughs) He's a funny, cool guy, but I didn't know what I was getting into (laughs). He knows what he's doing. He knows how to wear guys out. My whole thing was trying not to show that I was tired, even though everybody knew that I was. But I didn't hunch over once. I didn't bend at the waist or put my hands to my knees. I was trying to show that no matter how tired I am, you aren't going to get me to quit.
    Bensinger: Some people afterwards said that you appeared out of shape. What do you say to that?

Branch: I laugh at them and tell them to try doing that with Krumrie! It's impossible to do that drill with somebody and not get tired. They can say I got tired fast, but doing that strenuous activity with someone that strong -- you're going to get tired. If I had known what we were going to do, I would have been able to do a little better.
    Bensinger: What question that you have been asked has most surprised you?

Branch: The question that made me laugh the most is when they ask if you like football! (laughs) I think that's an obvious answer ... Why would you be playing if you don't like football?!
    Very strong interview from Branch.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

draft him, now!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

None of the really tough questions about his work ethic or intensity, but Branch represented himself very well in this interview.

keith m. klink Guest

it sounded good, but they hire profesional people to coach these guy's on what to say , to make sure everything they say will be interpreted as a good and safe answer. that is one of the first things that their agents make them do. so i take it all with a grane of salt. you won't know what he is until he is on the field. period.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk247 View Post
    Draft him, now!
    That would be great, 247! That we could... :\

I sure would like to see Branch wearing a Rams helmet, learning to become a pro with us. I enjoyed this interview, thanks Country.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    draft him, now!
    Right now!
    I want this man to anchor our defense.

who cares where we draft! when Oakland are stuttering around deciding which poor soul will be dragged into the Black Hole i say we turn our Alan Branch card in then.

hopefully an administrative error means we get to keep him

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Branch
    doing that strenuous activity with someone that strong -- you're going to get tired.
    Kind of like on Sunday afternoons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Branch
    If I had known what we were going to do, I would have been able to do a little better.
    So you didn't properly prepare yourself? Millions of dollars on the line and you DIDN'T prepare yourself?

I don't know, guys. Maybe he's gonna be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'm just not convinced yet. Fortunately for him, I'm not the one that has to be convinced.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Kind of like on Sunday afternoons?
    Probably. Are guys not allowed to get tired playing football nowadays?

So you didn't properly prepare yourself? Millions of dollars on the line and you DIDN'T prepare yourself?
    That's the whole point of the pro day workout, HUb. At the combine they know exactly the kind of drills they're going to be run through and there's no room for deviation. At pro days and private workouts, guys can put you through whatever they want, stuff you haven't seen before. How can he realistically prepare for that?

Probably. Are guys not allowed to get tired playing football nowadays?
    I'd rather they not, if I had my preference. The 4th quarter is a pretty important 15 minutes; and a NT that disappears from fatigue may not be in our best interest.

Is Branch out of shape? And if so, is that an indicator of his work ethic? I don't know, but it is and should be something to think about.
    How can he realistically prepare for that?
    By being in shape! He didn't look "sluggish" and "out-of-shape" because he didn't know what drills were coming. He looked "sluggish" and "out-of-shape", because he is probably......well, sluggish and out-of-shape.

And, I know, I know....show me a 320 lb. man who ISN'T out of shape. But it is a warning. Maybe he's "Shaun Rogers" out of shape, fine, I can live with that. But maybe he's "Jimmy Kennedy" out of shape.

Again, I'm not against getting him at 13. However, a lot of fans (present company excluded) are slobbering on him as if he's the answer. That is to say, give up as much as it takes, and move up as far as it takes to grab Branch. Just too much of a risk to do that, IMHO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Dominator is offline Registered User

I'd rather they not, if I had my preference. The 4th quarter is a pretty important 15 minutes; and a NT that disappears from fatigue may not be in our best interest.

Is Branch out of shape? And if so, is that an indicator of his work ethic? I don't know, but it is and should be something to think about. By being in shape! He didn't look "sluggish" and "out-of-shape" because he didn't know what drills were coming. He looked "sluggish" and "out-of-shape", because he is probably......well, sluggish and out-of-shape.

And, I know, I know....show me a 320 lb. man who ISN'T out of shape. But it is a warning. Maybe he's "Shaun Rogers" out of shape, fine, I can live with that. But maybe he's "Jimmy Kennedy" out of shape.

Again, I'm not against getting him at 13. However, a lot of fans (present company excluded) are slobbering on him as if he's the answer. That is to say, give up as much as it takes, and move up as far as it takes to grab Branch. Just too much of a risk to do that, IMHO.
    I think it's best to have a rotation at DT. I know it's very difficult for a 3-4 NT to stay on the field for the entire game. In a 4-3 there is a little less 2-gapping, but your NT is probably going to still need a blow now and then. The nature of the position is one man against two. Two 300 lb men.

As far as Branch's interviews go, I wouldn't get too excited reading transcripts. What I heard was that he was a bit meek and some scouts/coaches didn't think he was forceful enough. Something to consider. Still think he'd be great to get at 13.

And, I know, I know....show me a 320 lb. man who ISN'T out of shape.
    Okay... so can you? Because if not, then would that possibly be a sign that the standard should at least partially be reconsidered, especially for a man of his size at his position? Again, let's consider there are very successful big guys in the league who share these traits as well (Shaun Rogers, John Henderson, etc).

I mean, we're talking about a guy whose job it is to be the immovable force, to clog that inside lane and not give up ground, someone who every single play is fighting in a battle of strength against one if not two other 300 pound guys.

To me, that sounds like a job that's going to by its very nature cause a guy to wear down if he has to spend a lot of time doing it without a break. That's why preventing the opponent from maintaining drives while converting your own on offense is so important.

I mean, we're talking about a guy whose job it is to be the immovable force, to clog that inside lane and not give up ground, someone who every single play is fighting in a battle of strength against one if not two other 300 pound guys.
    Exactly. We're asking a guy to take on two 300-lb. men.......wouldn't you want him to at least be able to run through some drills without the world knowing how tired and sluggish he was? What concerns me is the defining characteristic (as noted by many scouts)for his off-season workouts has been just that......"sluggish" and "out of shape". That's a concern.

ive seen too many conflicting reports to get a good picture of Branch. however what i do know is that he is a big man and that if he is there at 13 i either run up and turn the crad in with his name on it right away or spend the first 14 minutes of our selection time jumping up and down in celebration

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast