ramhard is offline Registered User

Alan Branch - remember Hali Ngata

The debate over Alan Branch reminded me of last year's view of Hali Ngata. We had a chance to get Ngata and passed on him. When I see the reports of he and Branch they are very similar - both fall into the 'small world' category as in there are only a small number of people in the world with the combination of size and athletic ability. Both had issues of consistency and motor (my sense - though I can't even imagine - is that most 6'3 and 320lbs plus people find it difficult to go hard every play) in college. Where would the Rams be if they had drafted Ngata rather than Hill at CB. I like Hill, but Ngata has done what we are all begging for from the Rams NT in Baltimore. My guess is it's easier to find good CB's than it is to find good big NT's (the small world theory).

So my vote is Branch even over Okoye.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Alan Branch - remember Hali Ngata

Ngata has done what we are all begging for from the Rams NT in Baltimore.
    We've been begging our NT to play DE in a 3-4. Well, there's our problem right there.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Hubison - vague and ...

Hubison, I'm not sure what you mean by the response. My sense is it's sarcastic and dismissive.. maybe not. Are you saying Ngata plays 3-4 DE? He plays NT in their base defense; and if you look at all the scouting reports from last year, at 6'4 and 340, he was rated the #1 running stopping DT in the draft.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think you do have somewhat of a point ramhard. It seems that every year there are 3 or 4 rookie DB's that are supposed to have loads of talent but only 1 or 2 DT's. To the Rams defense, the front office has drafted two DT's recently that were rated either 1 or 2 at draft time but they just didn't pan out.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Good argument Ramhard. A year ago I was all on high hopes that somehow, we could get a hold of Ngata for our latest and greatest addition at DT. It didn't happen of course and Hali seems to be fulfilling his expectations / duties with the Ravens. I agree that they are similar candidates in their respective time and brackets.

This time around, I still doubt we can get the Big Branch for our 1st round selection. Perhaps we'll be able to see Okoye or Carriker available at 13.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Nope, HUb was right. Kelly Gregg is Baltimore's starting NT.

Ngata was moved to DE.

Falling on Sword (sorta)

Ok, he was listed as the starting NT on the chart I saw. In many ways it doesn't matter. For the Rams he would be what he does best - an interior run stopper - no matter what label the Ravens put on him. As I said, he was the #1 rated runstopper, and if you scan back through the scouting reports - he was called the 'perfect' NT several times. Can you not tell me he wouldn't have been a drastic upgrade over Kennedy?

The point is I don't think you downgrade those types for inconsistency - it goes with the size and maturity. I think you downgrade them a bit for fire and not having that mean streak (e.g Kennedy). Branch seems to have it.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Hubison - vague and ...

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard View Post
    Hubison, I'm not sure what you mean by the response. My sense is it's sarcastic and dismissive.. maybe not. Are you saying Ngata plays 3-4 DE? He plays NT in their base defense; and if you look at all the scouting reports from last year, at 6'4 and 340, he was rated the #1 running stopping DT in the draft.
    No, I'm not being sarcastic or dismissive, at least I'm not intending to. If I sounded that way, my bad......unless of course, I'm being sarcastic. Just playin' with ya.

However, Ngata is a DE in the Ravens 3-4 defense. Kelly Gregg is the NT for the Ravens. But, to your point of, Could Branch be like Ngata? Yea, he could. Which is to say, he could be a productive rookie on the D-line. However, he still is having a poor showing this offseason.

At this point I should use this as my signature since I feel a need to say it in 90% of my posts, but......I'm not against Branch at 13. I'm just not as sold as some that he is the answer at NT. Maybe he is, but there's a lot of evidence pointing to the next generation of Jimmy Kennedy.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-27-2007 at 08:36 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BIG-BLUE is online now Registered User

I too was very high on Ngata last year & was wishing for the big NT to be in a Rams uniform. But I just can't compare Branch with Ngata. Branch reminds me more & more of Kennedy, has the size & the talent with no mean streak. Watch some of his film ( Michigan vs Ohio St.) & you see him get pushed around alot like Kennedy does now, imagine how much he will be man handled @ the next level.
    For me I'm hoping the Rams grab Carriker out of Nebraska, Has a great motor & attitude & will give you his all on every play. We just don't need anymore players that play soft.
    Last edited by BIG-BLUE; -03-28-2007 at 11:49 AM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

we could have Ngata, but it was felt last year that CB was of equal need. Now i dont think any position is required just like NT is...