The Rammer is offline Registered User

Aldon Smith as an OLB in the 4-3?

Aldon Smith's going to the draft after two years of absolute beastliness at Missouri. He's huge, fast, and is one of the most athletic players in this year's draft. A lot of mock drafts have him anywhere from 13-2nd round. He's a DE in some, an OLB in others. He played DE in college. Would he be a good fit to play OLB in the Rams scheme? If yes, should we draft him with our first round pick. If he'd be better as a DE, do we draft him in the 2nd round if he's still available?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Aldon Smith as an OLB in the 4-3?

If I were the Rams, I think he'd be in consideration at the 14th pick. And it would be at defensive end rather than linebacker.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If I were the Rams, I think he'd be in consideration at the 14th pick. And it would be at defensive end rather than linebacker.
    Nick,

No doubt Smith would be a force as a pass rusher at DE but how do you think he would fare against the run?

Seems to me he might be too light in the pants to anchor against the run game.

WHAT SAY YE?

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Nick,

No doubt Smith would be a force as a pass rusher at DE but how do you think he would fare against the run?

WHAT SAY YE?
    I agree with you im not sure how he would fare against the rush as well but i still think he is a good look with our first pick.That is if my BABY(Deon Sanders Voice) AJ Green isnt there

RockinRam is offline Registered User

He would most likely be playing DE for us, since we do not run a 3-4. He's a little on the light side for now, but remember that Leonarwd Little was a little small coming out of college, but he bulked up, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith do the same. He's like a better, more athletic and more talented version of Selvie.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Nick,

WHAT SAY YE?
    Indications are he projects as a DE. There is a lot more to being an OLB than rushing the passer. We need more than a situational OLB with the 14th, it would depend on how he projects at coverage etc.

Nick,

WHAT SAY YE?
    He does need to improve as a run defender, but he has the frame to add some strength and bulk and get better in this area. It's a lot easier asking a guy with great quickness to get stronger than it is to ask a guy with great strength to get quicker.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Agreed. At his age and height, there's little doubt that he could bulk up a bit and play in the 275-280 lb. range.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I hate that he's leaving 'zou, but he will be an outstanding DE and would make a nice bookend opposite Long.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

richtree is offline Registered User

We just need athletes and athletes everywhere. It's time to realize that we don't 'HAVE' to take a WR in round 1. Especially if there is a legit defensive player in Round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    We just need athletes and athletes everywhere. It's time to realize that we don't 'HAVE' to take a WR in round 1. Especially if there is a legit defensive player in Round 1.
    If the value at WR isn't there but is for another position of need, I absolutely agree. You can't reach just because it's a position of need, especially if there are other prospects of good value there for the taking.

Of course, if the Rams go out in free agency and put the full court press on a top veteran talent, it would give them even more freedom. Either way, free agency or draft, I want to see the Rams come out of this offseason with a legitimate #1 receiver. Failing to do so will be a disappointment to me.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Agreed about not taking a WR because we "HAVE" to. If the WRs available at #14 aren't worthy for that spot, then we should not reach and grab one. I would rather draft Aldon Smith or another DE.