Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

From all indications.....

It looks like the Rams will either select Chris or Jake Long, with Jake being the consensus pick of what I've seen and heard. I know this isn't breaking news by any stretch but you know, selecting Jake Long wouldn't be such a bad thing. This O line could get really young quick with the FA addition (name escapes me but it is tax season), Barron, Cog, and Long. Rams then sign SJ long term and draft a WR in Round 2 and we could be back to watching exciting Rams football.

Why do I place it Rams football and not football in general? Because Rams football (of recent history) goes by the moniker "the best defense is a good offense". This Rams team has way too many holes to fill to "waste" a pick on the defensive side of the ball. Linehan has to win now. If he doesn't, he has to buy resume software and get that thing updated. Brings in Saunders who Bulger and Holt are comfortable with, keeps the D status quo, brings in what may be the best O lineman in the draft, gets a speedy WR in a very deep WR draft, and let's the defense play damage control instead of shut down mode. It's been done here before, and from all indications it looks like Rams football could be back in 08.

Then again, it is STL where the St. Louis Football Cardinals drafted a kicker once in round 1 so anything can happen.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: From all indications.....

The Cards also drafted kicker John Lee in the 2nd round.

I can play the game "Guess the worst Cards draft choice in history" for a long time. Those painful memories are seared into my brain, unfortunately.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

you forget that in 1999, when the Rams won the Superbowl, the NFL sack leader was none other than a certain Mr Kevin Carter, who the Rams picked early on in the first round of the 1995 draft

so if thats not an advocation for picking a DE high up this year, i dont know what is...

Two different scenarios....Vermeil was already established as an HC....Linehan is trying his best to become established. Linehan has to win now and knows his strength is the offense. The Rams caught lightening in a bottle with Martz and Warner. I don't see Green and Saunders providing that same spark. P.S. The Rams also drafted someone named Torry Holt in that first round that year.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-12-2008 at 11:28 AM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

It looks like the Rams will either select Chris or Jake Long, with Jake being the consensus pick of what I've seen and heard.
    If both these guys with are the board, I'm not sure who the Rams would take.

Jake brings:

Safest Pick
    Improve running game
    Improve pass protection
    Add depth at LT
    Add Pace replacement
    Become more physical in the trenches

Pace LT
    Bell LG
    Cog C
    Long RG
    Barron RT

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I have no problem taking Jake Long in the first, but a WR in the 2nd I would be unhappy.
    The defense is still a work in progress & we need to continue to build on it with a good DE if not a great one. So if we do take Jake in the 1st, I'm hoping for some defensive help in the second. Also if Jake is the pick, & we pick up a DE in the 2nd it points more to the signs of the Rams going to the ground & pound game.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Our Nick's Mock has the Rams taking Jake Long and USC Lawrence Jackson DE in the second.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    The Cards also drafted kicker John Lee in the 2nd round.

I can play the game "Guess the worst Cards draft choice in history" for a long time. Those painful memories are seared into my brain, unfortunately.
    Do the names Anthony Bell and Clyde Duncan ring a bell (no pun intended) with you? Gosh, it must have been murder to be a Cards fan back then. And I didn't even mention Steve Pisarkewicz (sp?). Oops, I just did!!

WHAT SAY YE?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

Jake brings:

Safest Pick
    Improve running game
    Improve pass protection
    Add depth at LT
    Add Pace replacement

Pace LT
    Bell LG
    Cog C
    Long RG
    Barron RT
    Um..how do we know at this point whether Jake Long can even play LT in the NFL? I'm still waiting for someone to make a definitive case that he is not just another bigboy RT who doesn't have the feet or athleticism to play the left side. Yeah, I know he played some LT at Michigan, but that is light years away from the qualifications needed to play LT in the Pros. Until this question is answered I'm not too interested in choosing J. Long with the #2 pick.

WHAT SAY YE?

Mooselini Guest

I wouldn't be upset if we took Jake Long. We can snag Groves in the second round to have that other end of the DE position filled.

However, I would rather go with DE in first, OL in second. But the other way around won't hurt...as long as both positions are addressed in the first two rounds.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Jake brings:
    Safest Pick
    Improve running game
    Improve pass protection
    Add depth at LT
    Add Pace replacement

Pace LT
    Bell LG
    Cog C
    Long RG
    Barron RT
    Well, a certain big Ten OT by the name of Gallery was once the "safe" pick too, and now he plays RG.

As for the other side of that argument, Chris brings:
    Safer pick, maybe not quite as "safe" as Jake, but is 1B to his 1A if not the other way around.
    NFL ready and polished
    Intangibles out the yin yang(attitude, drive, leadership, etc)
    Improve Run(stuffing) game
    Improve Pass(rush)ing game, in that we'd have one
    Automatic starter at his position(unlike Jake)

Just like a few of Chris' attributes, Jake's can be certainly filled much further down in the draft. The only ones specific to him are safest pick, and the degree he'll improve the line play. There will be perfectly good depth and eventual LT starters in the second and third rounds. The OT class is deep, the DE class is never deep enough.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I dunno Tx .. selecting Jake would seem to have its upside IF he proved good enough to start at RG and be an immediate upgrade. As another poster stated - can he excel as a left tackle in the NFL? I sure wouldn't be in favor of spending the #2 overall if he couldn't cut it as a LT.

I believe the Rams will take either C.Long or Gholston. We can still get O-line help in rd 2 or rd 3. If we pick up a FA center that can start, (my guess is the Rams resign Romberg or sign a guy they believe is as good or better) we will have decent depth at center and guard. Without a doubt we'll draft a tackle, but right now we have only one starting DE on the roster. I don't see us drafting Jake at #2 as either C. Long or Gholston will be available when we pick. I don't think we trade down either unless we could be assured of getting one of the aforementioned players. Dorsey could be a wildcard, but with the injury factor still unknown, it is looking as if he could fall. I think that we'll keep our pick and go D as in DE .. My two cents anyway ..

i've heard the clan speculate about Gholston but all I've heard about the Rams and VG is he's climbing up the chart but no warm fuzzy on selecting him yet. The two names that I've heard are the Long's. If Chris happens to be there at 2, he's the pick. If it's Jake, well....could be anyone's guess.

Not a bad position to be in when rebuilding the team though.....

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Um..how do we know at this point whether Jake Long can even play LT in the NFL? I'm still waiting for someone to make a definitive case that he is not just another bigboy RT who doesn't have the feet or athleticism to play the left side. Yeah, I know he played some LT at Michigan, but that is light years away from the qualifications needed to play LT in the Pros. Until this question is answered I'm not too interested in choosing J. Long with the #2 pick.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Wright
    Can be a very good left tackle or a great right tackle...probably falls somewhere in between Joe Thomas and Levi Brown as a pro prosepect
    When asked, at the combine, about Long's potential at LT, Herm Edwards said this....
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Edwards
    He's got all the tools. He's big, he's pretty athletic, pretty good feet. He's a guy if you draft, you know he's going to be a great tackle for 10 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Pesavento of football.com
    Offensive tackle Jake Long is head and shoulders the best left tackle of the draft class of 2008. His size and power make him one of the most dominant linemen to the draft has seen.
    Writing for ESPN, Pat Yasinskas wrote this about Long & the Dolphins need at LT
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Yasinskas
    Long's the kind of player the Dolphins can plug in right away and get a productive 10-year career from. He'd be their first solid left tackle since Richmond Webb, ... and he'd be a huge upgrade over last season, when Miami started Vernon Carey on the left side .... .... Carey can be serviceable on the right side, where he belongs. But that only works if the Dolphins get a franchise left tackle. New coach Tony Sparano made his name coaching offensive linemen and giving him Long would be a nice way to start his first draft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mayock
    Jake Long is the prototypical Left Tackle
    Next question.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    When asked, at the combine, about Long's potential at LT, Herm Edwards said this.... Writing for ESPN, Pat Yasinskas wrote this about Long & the Dolphins need at LT

Next question.
    So if he is that good, then it's a lock the Tuna will take him .. Right??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast