Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: From all indications.....

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    So if he is that good, then it's a lock the Tuna will take him .. Right??
    Is anything a lock with the Tuna?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Is anything a lock with the Tuna?
    Of course not, however, as I keep saying, the Dolphins have not made any big moves on the offensive line except for Smiley from the whiners, who's a guard, not a tackle. They're down one starting tackle because they released their RT, and as it was pointed out, their starting LT is a RT in sheep's clothing. I think it's very possible that they'll grab Jake at #1, as he is the safest pick, according to some anyway.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Of course not, however, as I keep saying, the Dolphins have not made any big moves on the offensive line except for Smiley from the whiners, who's a guard, not a tackle. They're down one starting tackle because they released their RT, and as it was pointed out, their starting LT is a RT in sheep's clothing. I think it's very possible that they'll grab Jake at #1, as he is the safest pick, according to some anyway.
    That would leave us with Chris Long and leave me a happy fan.

viper is offline Registered User

Man, my head is spinning from all of the great debate about which player or position we should take with the 2nd pick. I can honestly say that I want them all and won't be disappointed no matter who it is as long as it is one of the following:

C. Long, J. Long, Dorsey, Gholston or Ellis

No matter which one of those guys we get I am going to be excited. That's a good thing because I change my mind almost once a week these days. What a great problem to have!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I don't disagree in the least. I'm not sure why so many mocks out there are locked into either Chris Long or Matt Ryan for the Dolphins. They need Jake Long as much or more than the other two.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Do the names Anthony Bell and Clyde Duncan ring a bell (no pun intended) with you? Gosh, it must have been murder to be a Cards fan back then. And I didn't even mention Steve Pisarkewicz (sp?). Oops, I just did!!

WHAT SAY YE?
    Kelly Stouffer also comes to mind, unfortunately.

Rams fans who don't like Jay Zygmunt would be well advised to acquaint themselves with the administrative stylings of George Boone. Zygmunt is a genius compared to that clown.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

The guys on the board seem to me enamored with Gholston, but I just don't see us reaching for him when there is a blue chip tackle prospect in the front of us. If we draft Long one of our weakest units could rival the Seashawks for the top in our devision and near the top in the NFC.

LT Pace
    LG Bell
    C Cogs
    RG Long
    RT Barron

and in the future...

LT Long
    LG Bell
    C Cogs
    RG Setterstrom
    RT Barron

I know 2 people who won't be complaining Marc Bulger and Steven Jackson. As a matter of fact the whole offense would love it. This is cleche, (terrible French) but you build in the trenches

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Kelly Stouffer also comes to mind, unfortunately.

Rams fans who don't like Jay Zygmunt would be well advised to acquaint themselves with the administrative stylings of George Boone. Zygmunt is a genius compared to that clown.
    I didn't include Stouffer in my list 'cuz iirc most pundits had him rated as a top QB prospect for that year. I.E. it wasn't really outlandish for the Cards to select him where he was picked. OTOH there is absolutely no excuse for some of the other horrendous picks like some of the ones I've mentioned. I guess all I can say is Stouffers-a decent beef stew, but certainly not a NFL grade QB.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    So if he is that good, then it's a lock the Tuna will take him .. Right??
    Nothing is a lock when it comes to what Miami is going to do with the first pick, nor when it comes to anything in the draft. Was Joe Thomas any less of a prospect because Oakland and Detroit didn't take him? He was a Pro Bowl player as a rookie, so I'm going to say "no."

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    When asked, at the combine, about Long's potential at LT, Herm Edwards said this.... Writing for ESPN, Pat Yasinskas wrote this about Long & the Dolphins need at LT

Next question.
    "....very GOOD LT or a GREAT RT..." "...PRETTY athletic, PRETTY good feet..."

I dunno HUb, with quotes like these I think you make a decent case, but far from compelling. I'll grant you that Yasinkas and Mayock seem sold on him, but there still seems to be a lot of nagging doubt about just where will be this guy's best position. And I can't see the Rams using the 2nd overall pick in the draft for a player that might be or maybe a decent LT. Recall that last year none of these questions existed regarding Joe Thomas. If he's rated somewhere between Thomas and Levi Brown then that tells me that if we want him then we should trade down from the #2 spot. However, if we hold pat at No. 2 then we go in a different direction.

WHAT SAY YE?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I dunno HUb, with quotes like these I think you make a decent case, but far from compelling. I'll grant you that Yasinkas and Mayock seem sold on him, but there still seems to be a lot of nagging doubt about just where will be this guy's best position. And I can't see the Rams using the 2nd overall pick in the draft for a player that might be or maybe a decent LT. Recall that last year none of these questions existed regarding Joe Thomas. If he's rated somewhere between Thomas and Levi Brown then that tells me that if we want him then we should trade down from the #2 spot. However, if we hold pat at No. 2 then we go in a different direction.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I say potentially great at both. You never know what you are getting in the draft their is no such thing a sure thing. Remember he will be mentored by a guy who arguably has had some the best feat in NFL history for a OT in Orlando PAce.

Rambos is online now Registered User

When I say Safe, I'm not saying itís a lock. If C. Long does what he Patrick Kerney did in his first two years, most the people on this board would be calling him a bust! Kerney had 2.5 sacks in each of his first two years. As for Long being a leader sure in about four years, heís not coming in as a rookie and becoming the man in the locker room. I think in time C. Long will be a great pro, just not going to happen as a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I say potentially great at both. You never know what you are getting in the draft their is no such thing a sure thing. Remember he will be mentored by a guy who arguably has had some the best feat in NFL history for a OT in Orlando PAce.
    I understand what you're saying as far as the mentoring aspect goes; but with regards to "great feet" either you have them or you don't. And this is what concerns me about Jake Long. I.E. Orlando can only teach J. Long technique and some OL tricks of the trade, but that's about it. Also, I'm not asking for a "sure thing" as that really doesn't exist. I'm just wanting to reduce the risk as much as possible.

WHAT SAY YE?

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    When I say Safe, I'm not saying itís a lock. If C. Long does what he Patrick Kerney did in his first two years, most the people on this board would be calling him a bust! Kerney had 2.5 sacks in each of his first two years. As for Long being a leader sure in about four years, heís not coming in as a rookie and becoming the man in the locker room. I think in time C. Long will be a great pro, just not going to happen as a rookie.
    I agree with that. I think C. Long will have a great career, but I think as a rookie, Gholston may actually have a better chance of making an impact. I'd still take Long over Gholston though.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Ramarkable, you're looking for an expert to say Long WILL be a great LT. That expert doesn't exist. Just like no true expert is going to say that Chris Long WILL be a great DE or OLB. Or that Glenn Dorsey WILL be a great DT. Or that Darren McFadden WILL be a great RB.

The quotes I gave are about as definitive as it gets with these prospects. As a LT at Michigan, he gave up 1 sack, and committed 1 penalty. That's over a two year span. And when you're looking at the draft, college performance and the opinion of the "experts" is all we have to go on. Both aspects point to Jake Long being the best OT, nee best LT in the draft.

Am I sure about that? Only as sure as I am about Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, and every other blue chip prospect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12