Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kman
  • 2 Post By Fortuninerhater

Thread: All signs point to Rams drafting QB ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

All signs point to Rams drafting QB ..

BY JIM THOMAS
    4/20/2014

With less than three weeks remaining before the draft, the Rams are strongly considering taking a quarterback, and in doing so are casting a wide net at the position.
    Tom Savage of the University of Pittsburgh has made a “top 30 visit” to Rams Park. The team has spent a lot of time with Connor Shaw of South Carolina, you know, the guy who prevented Missouri from having a perfect regular season.

On Wednesday, the Rams dispatched quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti and director of player personnel Taylor Morton to Athens, Ga., where Aaron Murray took part in Georgia’s pro day.

Earlier in the pre-draft period, the Rams dispatched a scout to SMU’s pro day to watch Garrett Gilbert. There have also been reports that they either met with or worked out Derek Carr of Fresno State.

And don’t forget Clemson QB Tajh Boyd. The Rams got a look at him Friday when they held a private workout for wide receiver Sammy Watkins. (Boyd did the throwing.)

And that’s just a sampling. San Jose State’s David Fales, Eastern Illinois’ Jimmy Garoppolo, Alabama’s A.J. McCarron, and Louisiana State’s Zach Mettenberger could all be in play for the Rams as well.

“I think they all have merit,” said Rick Venturi, the former Rams assistant coach who is now an NFL radio analyst in Indianapolis.

In a draft where it has been difficult to pin down the value of top quarterback prospects Brian Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel, some of the mid-round QBs may end up outperforming the “big three” when all is said and done.

New Houston Texans coach Bill O’Brien, who’s grappling with the franchise-shaping decision of whether to take a QB at No. 1 overall, doesn’t see much separation between the top three and everyone else.

“Somebody else might have a different opinion,” O’Brien said. “Just my opinion is that I see strengths and weaknesses with every one of these guys. I don’t see where there are one or two guys, or three guys, that are just light-years ahead of the rest of them.”

The consistent signal from Rams Park is that the team wants to take a quarterback in the mid-rounds, someone who isn’t a project and could compete for a starting job in a year or two.

“I don’t think there’s any question the Rams are taking a quarterback,” said Gil Brandt, the longtime NFL draft guru. “(General manager) Les Snead has been around looking at those guys.”

If that’s indeed the case, that would leave the Rams with Sam Bradford as the starter, veteran Shaun Hill as the backup, plus a rookie-in-training in 2014. Austin Davis also is on the Rams’ offseason roster.

Bradford has two years left on his contract; Hill signed a one-year deal in free agency, coming to St. Louis from Detroit after Kellen Clemens left for San Diego.

As O’Brien mentioned, there are pluses and minuses in just about every quarterback in this year’s class, whether it be the top tier of signal callers — or the second and third tiers.

“Carr is probably the best behind the top three,” Venturi said. “The guy that’s really rising and I do like him — but he can’t move — is the kid at LSU (Mettenberger). I think the kid at Alabama (McCarron) is solid, but I don’t think he’s great. I think he’s played with a lot of great players.

“Garoppolo, I really like a lot things about him. But I think he’s one of those kids that’s good at everything and great at nothing. I like Fales from San Jose quite a bit. And the guy who’s having the big offseason is Savage. ... He’s a workout phenom. Connor Shaw, he’s a competitor. He’s not a great talent.”

In the unusual case of Savage, there isn’t a ton of film to go on. He started out at Rutgers, then transferred to Arizona, and then transferred again to Pitt.

“You see someone transfer twice, your immediate thought is probably a red flag — there is something wrong,” Savage said. “Obviously, my journey has been a little different. It’s helped me mature as a person, and I wouldn’t want to do it any other way.”

Savage, 6-4, 228, was named offensive MVP at Rutgers as a true freshman in 2009, throwing for 2,211 yards and 14 TDs. But he lost his starting job to Chas Dodd in an injury-plagued sophomore season and didn’t take it well.

“The kid (Dodd) went in there and played great for the team,” Savage said. “Coach (Greg Schiano) went with the hot hand. I was a 20-year-old kid, bitter and ticked off. I thought I had all the answers and decided to leave.”

He transferred to Arizona, sitting out the 2011 season under college transfer rules. But decided to leave Arizona a year later without having thrown a pass in game action.

The native of Springfield, Pa., wanted to be closer to home. In addition, new (at the time) Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez employed a no-huddle spread offense, not exactly a fit for Savage, who’s a pro-style pocket passer.

After the NCAA denied Savage’s initial request to return to Rutgers without having to sit out another year under transfer rules, he ended up at Pittsburgh. Savage was so frustrated at the prospect of sitting out another year he thought about quitting football.

“Real close,” he said. “I walked on to Pittsburgh in camp. I was ineligible, doing the scout team for the second year in a row, paying my way to do scout team. I was kind of like, ‘I don’t think I can do this anymore.’ “

But he stuck it out, and for the first time since 2010 finally saw the playing field again in 2013.

“Before this season it was 1,000 days since I played an actual game,” he said.

Savage put up good but not great numbers in 2013, completing 61.2 percent of his passes for 2,958 yards, 21 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

He was much more accurate than his two seasons at Rutgers, where he completed 52.2 percent of his passes in 18 games. Some still question his accuracy. But at Pitt, he displayed a knack for hitting receivers in stride as well as very good arm strength and toughness in the pocket.

While Savage is light on experience, other quarterback prospects have plenty. Some are tall; some (like Shaw) are short. Some come from schools in power conferences, others (Garoppolo) don’t. The diverse QB Class of 2014 offers a little bit of everything.

“There are a lot of guys that have won championships, that have won a lot of games in tough conferences, that have brought their teams back with under two minutes to go,” O’Brien said.

“A lot of guys that have been through tough times, you know, have had to win the position, lost the position. Maybe some tough times off the field they’ve overcome. So yeah, as far as that position goes, it’s a very intriguing position.”

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: All signs point to Rams drafting QB ..

It's interesting that Frank Cignetti has been a coach at two of the universities Tom Savage has been enrolled in, albeit at different times than when Savage was there. Still, I'm sure he has connections he could call and get some additional insight about the team. Might be something worth watching.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's interesting that Frank Cignetti has been a coach at two of the universities Tom Savage has been enrolled in, albeit at different times than when Savage was there. Still, I'm sure he has connections he could call and get some additional insight about the team. Might be something worth watching.
    The silver lining for both Savage and the Rams would be the opportunity for Tom to learn the position without being thrown into the fire straightaway. He'd have time to learn and refine his skills.

Scout: Pitt's Tom Savage has strongest arm in 2014 NFL Draft

By Mike Huguenin

The buzz around Pittsburgh quarterback Tom Savage continues to grow, with one scout telling NFL.com that he might have the strongest arm in the draft.

Savage is not a first-round pick -- not close, in fact -- but he is seen as an intriguing developmental candidate. "He's got a really strong arm, but erratic," a scout told NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport. "Maybe late-round type. But interesting."

Savage measured 6-foot-4 and 228 pounds at last month's NFL Scouting Combine, and the buzz has continued to grow since that event and since Pitt's March 3 pro day. NFL Media senior draft analyst Gil Brandt had a feeling in October that Savage could become a hot commodity.

While he was a fifth-year senior in 2013, Savage remains relatively inexperienced. He was a consensus national top-15 quarterback prospect in the 2009 recruiting class out of Springfield (Pa.) Cardinal O'Hara High, behind players such as Matt Barkley, Tajh Boyd, AJ McCarron, Zach Mettenberger and Garrett Gilbert. Savage signed with Rutgers and was seen as a recruiting coup for then-Scarlet Knights coach Greg Schiano.

Savage started 10 games in 2009 as a true freshman; he threw for 2,211 yards, 14 touchdowns and seven interceptions but completed only 52.3 percent of his passes that fall. Savage began the 2010 season as the starter but was hurt and eventually lost his starting job to lightly regarded true freshman Chas Dodd. Savage finished with 521 passing yards and transferred to Arizona after the season.

Savage sat out the 2011 season under NCAA rules, then hit the road again after Rich Rodriguez took over as Arizona's coach following that fall because he was ill-suited for Rodriguez's spread offense. Savage transferred to Pitt and again sat out as a transfer in 2012.

Savage threw for 2,958 yards, 21 TDs and nine interceptions, completing 61.9 percent of his passes, in 2013. Six of his TD passes came in one game, a wild 59-56 victory over Duke, and six of his picks came in the first four games of the season. Savage played well in an upset of Notre Dame, throwing for 243 yards, two TDs and no interceptions.

A bruised kidney caused Savage to miss the second half of his final college game and to turn down an invitation to the East-West Shrine Game.

Savage's lack of experience before the 2013 season led to him having no draft grade, according to BLESTO and other national scouting services, which is extremely rare for a senior who is a projected starter at a major college.

While Savage has a strong arm, decision-making and accuracy have been issues. He also lacks mobility and that issue was exacerbated in 2013 because Pitt had a young offensive live. He was sacked eight times in a loss to Virginia Tech and seven times in a win over Virginia. When he faces pressure and is forced to move around in the pocket, his mechanics frequently go awry and he makes bad decisions.

In February, Savage said he had learned that a quarterback needs much more than a strong arm.
    "A lot of guys in the NFL can throw the ball 70 yards," he told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "The tough thing is doing it with people in your face".

kman is offline Registered User

it just better not be in rounds 1 or 2...or 3 for that matter..
    lostsoul likes this.

Im sure many will disagree but I don't know if I would even draft a qb this year..Bradford still has 2 years left and we just got a really solid backup..this kid wouldn't even have a chanve to play this year or push Bradford..we still have davis too..if Bradford either sucks or gets hurt this year, then next draft I would draft a qb ans Bradford would have a 1 year "prove it" left..we have too many needs to use a 3rd or 4th round pick this year on a guy thata has no chance of playing this year..that could be a quality starter pick if used right..draft a qb next year..or maybe a 6th rounder, one of those provisional picks

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    it just better not be in rounds 1 or 2...or 3 for that matter..
    Agreed, more spots to fill with those high picks. If he is there at 4 fine, but no sooner.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I've heard on quite a few ESPN and NFL related podcasts that the buzz on Savage is justified. Many project him as someone who could come off the board as early on as day two. I'd love to see what he's got, assuming we have a chance at him.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    Im sure many will disagree but I don't know if I would even draft a qb this year..Bradford still has 2 years left and we just got a really solid backup..this kid wouldn't even have a chanve to play this year or push Bradford..we still have davis too..if Bradford either sucks or gets hurt this year, then next draft I would draft a qb ans Bradford would have a 1 year "prove it" left..we have too many needs to use a 3rd or 4th round pick this year on a guy thata has no chance of playing this year..that could be a quality starter pick if used right..draft a qb next year..or maybe a 6th rounder, one of those provisional picks
    I'm with you. I don't see what drafting a QB this year does. This would be a clipboard year for him, which is fine, but most likely so would next year. After that, he comes on the scene only if A) Bradford is gone, and B) we don't pick up a better prospect in 2015 or 2016.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think it depends on how quickly the QBs come off the board.

I would not even consider a QB in Round 1.

In Round 2, if the Rams acquire an extra pick, I might consider Jimmy Garoppolo or, if they drop, Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater.

In Round 3, guys like A.J. McCarron, Tom Savage and Aaron Murray may be in play, though I'd much prefer one of those guys in Round 4.

On Day 3, some guys who might be worth a shot are David Fales, Conner Shaw and Jeff Matthews.

Another consideration is whether the Rams make a trade that yields an extra first round pick in 2015. If they do, it might be better to wait until then to consider taking a young QB.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I agree with not drafting a QB this year. The crop is very unremarkable. If I had my choice, I'd wait until next year and try to secure Sean Manion out of Oregon State. He could sit for a year or two with the clipboard and learn the system. I do think he'll probably be too highly rated for us as I hope our 1st round pick next year will be in the 20's or later.

As for Savage, if he's not a good decision maker at the line I hope he'll learn should we draft him. Otherwise, pass. I would still lobby for Bryn Renner out of North Carolina, but I don't think he's on our radar.

Go Rams!

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Charles Davis of NFLN believes the Rams could take a chance on Johnny Manziel at #13 if he appears to fall down the draft.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    Charles Davis of NFLN believes the Rams could take a chance on Johnny Manziel at #13 if he appears to fall down the draft.
    I'm willing to bet that won't happen.

richtree is offline Registered User

Especially when next year's draft will have a ton of QB talent...nothing in top 3 picks

as a Rutgers alum, I watched Savage when he played there..he was ok, nothing special..they say hes got a strong arm and good pocket prescence..uummm, how many times have we heard in the past a guy has a strong arm?? and they amount to nothing..wasn't it kyle boller who could throw 70 yards on his knees?theres a reason why just a month or so ago he wasn't even going to get drafted..hesgot a strong arm in a weak qb class, big whoop...I wouldn't have minded taking a chance on him in the 6th round, where he probably should go, but he is getting way too much hype to warrant where some team will take him..no thanks.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

From my vantage point, there's absolutely no reason why the Rams wouldn't draft Sam Bradford's, backup/competition/eventual replacement (how ever you want to look at it), this year.

Armed with a league tying 12 picks in the current draft that could expand to 13 or 14 by the end of day one, the Rams would be foolish not to come away with a young QB who at the very least, could push a spoonfed Sam Bradford to earn an extension.

I totally disagree with those who think it's better to prolong the inevitable.

This is no doubt Sam's make or break year. He will either prove he's the franchise QB going forward or he will prove that he's not.

Either way, there are obvious advantages a player drafted this year would have over one drafted next year.

For one, he'd have a year's worth of development in the Rams system, even if he never sees the field.

IMO, that experience gained would be invaluable, in the event we were to move on from Bradford next year.

Furthermore, even if Bradford plays at a level we all expected when he was made the 1st pick in the draft, it'd be good for him to look over to the sidelines and see a "possible replacement caliber QB", versus what he's looked over and seen his entire Ram career.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-22-2014 at 08:36 PM.
    MauiRam and Randart like this.