Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: For All the WR Lovers

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

For All the WR Lovers

Here is some info for you who like to take a receiver in round one.

Since 2005, here how many times are that teams took them in round one

Vikings -3
    Rams - 2
    Jaguars - 2
    Tennessee -2
    KC -2
    Niners -2
    Falcons -2
    Lions -2

Houston -1
    Arizona -1
    Oakland -1
    Miami -1
    Cleveland -1
    San Diego -1
    Dallas -1
    Philadelphia -1
    NY Giants -1
    Indy -1
    Baltimore -1
    Denver -1
    Cincinnati -1
    New Orleans -1
    Steelers -1

Not exactly a list of powerhouse offesnes eh?

Where is Green Bay, where is New England ? Chicago ? hree of the best passing offenses

And the ones taken by the good offenses here, like Meacham in N.O. , wre not a big part of their passing offense.

The Niners got nothing from one of theirs.

Atlanta did the best, but what have they won?

Denver had a sorry offense even with D. Thomas, till Manning came over.

The Saints top receivers were drafted in round five and seven, and their TE was a 3rd
    The Patriots receivers were a second rounder , a seventh rounder and a free agent originally undrafted.
    The Packers receivers are two second rounders and a third rounder
    The Broncos have one #1 but also a free agent drafted late, and a 3rd rounder, and their TE was a 4th rounder

Just look at the list of even top 10 receivers who busted JUST since 2005;
    Braylon Edwards
    Troy Williamson
    Mike Williams'
    Matt Jones
    Mark Clayton
    Santonio Holmes
    Ted Ginn
    Robert Meacham
    Craig Davis
    Anthony Gonzales
    Darius Heyward Bey
    Jon Baldwin
    AJ Jenkins
    Justin Blackmon

I'm sure many of these guys were YOUR guy for a top pick spent on a WR.

As this PROVES, drafting receivers high up not only doesn't help in the win column, either immediately or long term, and in fact the worst teams have taken the most WR early.

It also proves that the best offenses in the NFL now are there WITHOUT spending a bunch of high picks on WRs.

I challenge those who disagree to show their own proof. Not just some opinion that "this year is different' .

Sorry, but I'm a guy that's mostly about FACTS, so sue me.

Barry Waller

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: For All the WR Lovers

You also have to consider the WR that have played well.

Calvin Johnson
    Percy Harvin
    Michael Crabtree
    Dez Bryant
    Roddy White
    A. J. Green
    Julio Jones

I think it fair to say you don't have to draft a WR in round one to find a good one. The fact is there are plenty of WR worthy of a first round pick, it's up to the team drafting to make sure they take the right one in round one. Should a team pass on a Jerry Rice because teams have missed on WR that have not produced? Should the Rams have past on Holt?

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    What wrs have the rams taken in round 1 since 05 other than Tavon Austin?

I agree with your assessment that wr is a boom or bust position though sir.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

The Rams took Torry Holt in round 1 and it got them a Superbowl... This kind of talk is non-sense. Every position has busts and boomers no matter where you look in the draft, no different on the WR front.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Barry, I don't see any reason or need for anyone to try and prove to you that there are situations/scenarios where a first round receiver makes sense, as you've essentially acknowledged it's a worthy possibility by saying in another thread that you'd be tempted to take Mike Evans in the 15-20 range.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Oh hey look Tom Brady was a 6th round pick no team should take a QB till the 6th.

Look 32 WR's have been drafted in the 1st since 2005 and half of those at least have been busts.

You know there are so many 1st round DE's that turn out to be utter garbage nobody should draft one in the 1st wait to pick one up as an UDFA.

Some of the best RB's in football this year are late round draft picks so you'd have to be a fool to take one in the first.

We could go over every position on the roster and find reasons not to draft one in the first round. How about we draft the best player who can help our roster the most and let draft history remain history. This is actually a worse argument than the one about not drafting a position this year cause next years draft is stronger at that position.

As for us drafting a WR this year there are a couple I'd love to see in horns.

Mike Evans
    Jordan Matthews

Both of those are mid-late 1st rounders

Odell Beckham
    Kelvin Benjamin (if he declares)

Other than that I'm happy to let Sam work with the guys he's got and hope it all clicks for Quick next year.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I'm not completely sold on Mike Evans; sure he's tall and physical, but he's not that fast and his route running leaves a little something to be desired. I'd like to see how he does at the combine, maybe he runs a better than expected time. Also, in the couple of games I've seen him play in he seems to get called a lot for offensive pass interference. In the red zone he'll be great, but I just don't see him being able to create separation against some of the better corners in the league.
    lostsoul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I'm not completely sold on Mike Evans; sure he's tall and physical, but he's not that fast and his route running leaves a little something to be desired. I'd like to see how he does at the combine, maybe he runs a better than expected time. Also, in the couple of games I've seen him play in he seems to get called a lot for offensive pass interference. In the red zone he'll be great, but I just don't see him being able to create separation against some of the better corners in the league.
    I seem to remember reading those exact things about Alshon Jeffery last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I seem to remember reading those exact things about Alshon Jeffery last year.
    Yup, those same things were said about Jeffery but then he was able to quiet the critics when he ran a 4.48 at the combine and a 4.47 at his pro day. Just as I said in my comment, we'll have to wait and see how he performs at the combine. If he does well I would have no problem drafting him with one of our 1st round picks

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Yup, those same things were said about Jeffery but then he was able to quiet the critics when he ran a 4.48 at the combine and a 4.47 at his pro day. Just as I said in my comment, we'll have to wait and see how he performs at the combine. If he does well I would have no problem drafting him with one of our 1st round picks
    I'm not worried about what he runs. Even when he's covered he's not. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, is one of the best safeties but he's no match for his strength and size.

For All the WR Lovers-evansrebound1_crop_exact.jpg

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    There are first round "busts" at every position. Does the WR position have a higher "bust rate" then other positions? That would be a factual analysis (though the term "bust" would have to be defined) worth considering.

Merely listing WRs that you consider to be "busts" (your list includes a Super Bowl MVP, by the way), tells us nothing.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I'm not worried about what he runs. Even when he's covered he's not. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, is one of the best safeties but he's no match for his strength and size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EvansRebound1_crop_exact.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	4218
    as long as he proves manziel's running around didn't hide his ability to be able to use his size within a few seconds after the snap rather than 30 seconds then yes....i'm in lol

edit: i mean he seems fast enough since he's able to run away from CBs and safeties for TDs so....mm
    Last edited by citr92; -12-15-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EvansRebound1_crop_exact.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	4218
    Facing off against college safeties is one thing (no matter how good Clinton-Dix may be), but facing off against Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson are a different thing altogether. We can't just throw balls up in the air and expect him to go up and catch it because he's tall, that stuff typically doesn't work in the NFL. I'm not saying he has to have Megatron-type speed, he just have to be quick enough to keep opposing CB's honest and from playing him too close to the line

richtree is offline Registered User

yeah, but not too many free agent WRs lining up to move to St. Louis, thats the big difference...

There are so many things wrong with this post.....

You picked and choose your data -- The rams are close to having a really good team and they need WRs ...bottom line...

PLUS THE NFL HAS CHANGED IN LAST 3 YEARS,,,,FIRST YEAR PLAYERS ARE STARS..

SEE CAM NEWTON, KEENAN ALLEN, JULIO JONES, ON AND ON.....

Blackmon, Holmes, Edwards, Ginn, Meachem, and m.williiams are all good players....

not everyone is Jerry Rice...

And LAST POINT -- NOT EVERY TEAM HAS A RODGERS, BREES, OR BRADY...SO YOU NEED BETTER SKILL POSITONS PLAYERS TO WIN....

I CAN'T EVEN TAKE THIS THREAD SERIOUS BECAUSE OF THE POINTS....SOMEONE ELSE COULD MAKE A VALID ARGUMENT...THIS GUY CAN'T...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast