Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    max
    max is offline Registered User

Am I missing something???

The more I look at this draft, the more convinced I am that Levi Brown and Patrick Willis are going before us.

Why? Well, I see 4 teams looking for an LT: Arizona, Houston, Atlanta, Miami. Even if Thomas slides to Arizona, I see one of the other 3 teams picking Brown. And I just don't see Willis getting by SF and Buffalo. Especially Buffalo, with Fletcher gone.

I'm also convinced that Landry will be going to Minny or Atlanta. He will be a BPA at an area of need for both of them.

Gaines Adams will surely be off the board early, as early as Detroit if they trade down a couple of spots with TB.

With those 4 gone and the 5 top tier offensive players going off the board before us, one of these players will be available to us:
    Carriker
    Branch
    Okoye
    Anderson

If Washington doesn't trade down, Anderson could go there if Adams is off the board. I think Wash goes Anderson ahead of Branch or Okoye here.

Miami is a major threat. If they don't take Brown, then Okoye or Branch are very likely to go to them.

I think the major threat to take Carriker is SF. They likely go Carriker, Willis, or Meachem.

I guess what I'm saying here is that no matter how many times I go around on this, I think if Okoye doesn't fall to us then Branch will. Actually, I'll be shocked if one of them doesn't since this is almost a worst case analysis. If a CB or WR go before us we will have a choice among those DL's.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Am I missing something???

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post

I guess what I'm saying here is that no matter how many times I go around on this, I think if Okoye doesn't fall to us then Branch will. Actually, I'll be shocked if one of them doesn't since this is almost a worst case analysis. If a CB or WR go before us we will have a choice among those DL's.
    I actually concur. Great explanation- REP+

However, the draft is no exact science. Before you know it we could have another Donte Whitner, bolt from the blue pick in late april.

max

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I actually concur. Great explanation- REP+

However, the draft is no exact science. Before you know it we could have another Donte Whitner, bolt from the blue pick in late april.
    Sure. And there are obviously lots of trade possibilities. One that could actually help would be Minny trading down. They really need a WR. But they need a partner. If Peterson is still on the board at #7, which he may well be if Cleveland doesn't grab him, Buffalo would love to trade up to get him. Minny would see more value in Meachem, Ginn, or Bowe at #12.

And even if Buffalo stays at #12 they may very well take Lynch to fill their RB void.

Sure. And there are obviously lots of trade possibilities. One that could actually help would be Minny trading down. They really need a WR. But they need a partner. If Peterson is still on the board at #7, which he may well be if Cleveland doesn't grab him, Buffalo would love to trade up to get him. Minny would see more value in Meachem, Ginn, or Bowe at #12.

And even if Buffalo stays at #12 they may very well take Lynch to fill their RB void.
    Let's not rule out Washington or Detroit either. In fact, let's not rule ANYONE out

But there is a legitimate case to be made for a Detroit-Minnesota trade if the Vikes are as interested in WR as they seem, and Detroit is as interested in moving down to take Pat Willis as they seem.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

landry will not go to minnesota they just picked up mike doss

max

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    landry will not go to minnesota they just picked up mike doss
    I originally thought that too. But not so sure about that. This from the Vikings board:

Sharper is 31, Tank is coming off a fractured kneecap, Doss an ACL. Tank and Doss are only signed for '07, so if we take Landry, by next year, Sharper will be 32 and Tank and Doss will both be FA, so there's no concern of a roster backlog.

I think Doss was signed because

A: Frazier knows and likes him
    B: Insurance in case Tank isn't healthy/blows
    t; var html = vDiv.innerHTML; html = html.replace(/&lt;/g, &quot;<&quot; html = html.replace(/&gt;/g, &quot;>&quot; html = html.replace(/&amp;/g, &quot;&&quot; vDiv.innerH

max

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Let's not rule out Washington or Detroit either. In fact, let's not rule ANYONE out

But there is a legitimate case to be made for a Detroit-Minnesota trade if the Vikes are as interested in WR as they seem, and Detroit is as interested in moving down to take Pat Willis as they seem.
    The way I hear it, Detroit is interested in Adams. A likely trade would be with TB. CJ goes #2 and Adams goes #4.

And I agree with you about Washington. They are surely a candidate to move down, either with the Chicago deal, or if Quinn and Peterson are still on the board at #6.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i keep seeing that the Redskins need a DT, but they really didnt have a pass rush last year so i see them taking a DE

max

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    i keep seeing that the Redskins need a DT, but they really didnt have a pass rush last year so i see them taking a DE
    I think you're right. They want Adams, but he may be gone. Next would be Anderson, assuming no trade down. I hope they don't take Anderson, I really like him.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm all about Patrick Willis at this point.

I think we're going to end up with an impact player from any standpoint.

I'm looking out for Okoye and Carriker primarily, then Willis a close second, Branch(Due to need) and Landry just behind. I think Okoye is talented but less of a risk than Branch, who slips to 4th due to character concerns. The other 3, IMO can make an impact with playing time, right away.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The way I hear it, Detroit is interested in Adams. A likely trade would be with TB. CJ goes #2 and Adams goes #4.

And I agree with you about Washington. They are surely a candidate to move down, either with the Chicago deal, or if Quinn and Peterson are still on the board at #6.
    First of all, very good analysis, max. I also agree that it seems more and more likely that Brown goes top 12, and I have a hard time believing Willis makes it past Buffalo at this point. Someone's going to drop, and we'll take advantage of it.

Regarding this specific response, while I think Tampa would be happy to take CJ if he falls to them, I personally don't envision them trading up for him. They could be content looking OT or DE at their pick and will likely have their pick of ends. CJ would be a luxury pick for them, one that I don't envision them giving up additional picks to make.

Washington trading down could happen and would be a good situation for them... if they valued draft picks. They really don't seem to put much emphasis on them, given who readily they trade them away. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see them trade with Atlanta so that the Falcons can make sure they get Landry, since I also feel he'll be an option for Minnesota.

max

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    First of all, very good analysis, max. I also agree that it seems more and more likely that Brown goes top 12, and I have a hard time believing Willis makes it past Buffalo at this point. Someone's going to drop, and we'll take advantage of it.

Regarding this specific response, while I think Tampa would be happy to take CJ if he falls to them, I personally don't envision them trading up for him. They could be content looking OT or DE at their pick and will likely have their pick of ends. CJ would be a luxury pick for them, one that I don't envision them giving up additional picks to make.

Washington trading down could happen and would be a good situation for them... if they valued draft picks. They really don't seem to put much emphasis on them, given who readily they trade them away. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see them trade with Atlanta so that the Falcons can make sure they get Landry, since I also feel he'll be an option for Minnesota.
    Thanks Nick.

It does seem that Brown is odds-on to go in the top 12. This from draft scout:03/22/07 - Higher than you Think: It is perhaps the oldest maxim in football: run the ball effectively, and you will win with consistency. Brown may be the draft's finest run-blocking offensive tackle, and some view him as a better overall prospect than Wisconsin's Joe Thomas, who could go as high as No. 2 overall. Barring a traumatic injury or incident, Brown won't make it out of the top 10. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=12451

I also feel there will be at least one more non-target guy going ahead of us. Someone from this group: Meachem, Hall, Revis, Ginn, Bowe, Jarrett, Nelson, Staley or a real "surprise" (Whitner) type pick would not be unexpected. Who knows what the 12 teams are really thinking? So many of the teams directly ahead of us have god-awful offenses that a WR reach is a real possiblity; and Hall is rated in the top 10 on Kipers, Mayocks, PFW, and Huddle Report big boards. I think it's a solid prediction. And I've got draft history on my side.

If Willis and Brown are gone (highly probable as explained) and I'm right about my "at least one more" prediction, we will be in Schaefer City. It just sounds too good to be true to have two of these guys availalbe at #13:
    Carriker
    Branch
    Okoye
    Anderson

I expect it though.

On the trades - I don't have a strong feeling on TB, it's a SWAG. You're probably right - likely they'll sit. Washington, who knows with those guys, they don't have any picks in the 2nd through 4th rounds. What do they do? Pick #6 and go out on the town in the Big Apple until the 5th round? Minny signed Doss, that could be camaflage to keep Atlanta guessing about Landry. A Washington Atlanta trade isn't out of the question in my mind.
    Last edited by max; -04-06-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

For what it's worth, my top 12 draft projection as it stands right now is...

1. Oakland Raiders: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
    2. Detroit Lions: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
    3. Cleveland Browns: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
    4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
    5. Arizona Cardinals: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
    6. Washington Redskins: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
    7. Minnesota Vikings: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
    8. Atlanta Falcons (f/HOU): LaRon Landry, S, LSU
    9. Miami Dolphins: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
    10. Houston Texans (f/ATL): Levi Brown, OT, Penn State
    11. San Francisco *****: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
    12. Buffalo Bills: Patrick Willis, MLB, Mississippi

This would mean both Branch and Anderson would fall to us.

I'm not sure I'd take Thomas if I'm the Lions considering there's big money invested in Backus AND they just traded for George Foster. But based on what I've read, if the Lions stay at 2 it's either for Johnson or Thomas, and I just couldn't bring myself to have them take another WR.

I think Cleveland takes Peterson because Crennel wants someone who will help him win now rather than someone to groom for the next guy to fill his position.

I think if Washington loses out on Adams, they'll still be looking to improve their pass rush and drafting Okoye would do that. They need help at DE but also need help on the interior line, and Okoye's stock is continuing to rise so much that I think he's the best D-line prospect on the table for them in terms of value. Anderson seems to be slipping so he didn't get consideration there.

I envision the Dolphins taking Hall because they need a true #1 corner and Leon's stock is back up after workouts. Another option for Miami I'm hearing a lot about is Ginn but personally I think that's too high for him until he shows he's healthy again. I've also heard rumblings that Miami may not view Brown as a legit left tackle, which personally I tend to agree with more than I disagree with.

The rest of the projection should be pretty straight forward. But again, this leaves us with our choice between Branch and Anderson, both of whom seem to have been slipping recently.

max

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    For what it's worth, my top 12 draft projection as it stands right now is...

1. Oakland Raiders: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
    2. Detroit Lions: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
    3. Cleveland Browns: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
    4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
    5. Arizona Cardinals: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
    6. Washington Redskins: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
    7. Minnesota Vikings: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
    8. Atlanta Falcons (f/HOU): LaRon Landry, S, LSU
    9. Miami Dolphins: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
    10. Houston Texans (f/ATL): Levi Brown, OT, Penn State
    11. San Francisco *****: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
    12. Buffalo Bills: Patrick Willis, MLB, Mississippi

This would mean both Branch and Anderson would fall to us.

I'm not sure I'd take Thomas if I'm the Lions considering there's big money invested in Backus AND they just traded for George Foster. But based on what I've read, if the Lions stay at 2 it's either for Johnson or Thomas, and I just couldn't bring myself to have them take another WR.

I think Cleveland takes Peterson because Crennel wants someone who will help him win now rather than someone to groom for the next guy to fill his position.

I think if Washington loses out on Adams, they'll still be looking to improve their pass rush and drafting Okoye would do that. They need help at DE but also need help on the interior line, and Okoye's stock is continuing to rise so much that I think he's the best D-line prospect on the table for them in terms of value. Anderson seems to be slipping so he didn't get consideration there.

I envision the Dolphins taking Hall because they need a true #1 corner and Leon's stock is back up after workouts. Another option for Miami I'm hearing a lot about is Ginn but personally I think that's too high for him until he shows he's healthy again. I've also heard rumblings that Miami may not view Brown as a legit left tackle, which personally I tend to agree with more than I disagree with.

The rest of the projection should be pretty straight forward. But again, this leaves us with our choice between Branch and Anderson, both of whom seem to have been slipping recently.
    A couple of things.

The way I hear it, Washington fans are looking for a DE. They want Adams but many think they would settle for Anderson over Okoye.

If that happens Miami may jump on Okoye instead of Hall. But I think they could very well go for Brown over both of them. With Brown off the board, I think Houston then goes for Hall or maybe Staley.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast