Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Am I missing something???

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    The way I hear it, Washington fans are looking for a DE. They want Adams but many think they would settle for Anderson over Okoye.
    The popular opinion seems to be Anderson, but with reports of his stock slipping, I don't see the value there. Okoye still gives them pass rush help, which is why they ultimately wanted a DE to begin with. He's a better value that still helps them with their need, IMO.

If that happens Miami may jump on Okoye instead of Hall. But I think they could very well go for Brown over both of them. With Brown off the board, I think Houston then goes for Hall or maybe Staley.
    I debated giving Brown to Miami but in the end I'm just not sold on him being a future top left tackle. I see him as a better fit on the right side, and Miami already has a right tackle in Vernon Carey. Meanwhile I'm not sure anything on Houston's line is so secure that they couldn't add help at any position. Winston slipping to them last year was fortunate but they may view him as more of a guard.

As for Staley, his stock has been rising but I'm having a hard time finding a spot to reflect that in round one. I currently have him slotted to Baltimore, though I think that's pretty low for him. He would have gone to KC had they not signed McIntosh to a big deal. In the end, Pittsburgh might be a landing destination, with Denver or New England also possibilities.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-06-2007 at 04:02 PM.

max
    max is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The popular opinion seems to be Anderson, but with reports of his stock slipping, I don't see the value there. Okoye still gives them pass rush help, which is why they ultimately wanted a DE to begin with. He's a better value that still helps them with their need, IMO.
    I'm not sure I buy all the stock slipping stuff on Anderson. But I hope you're right. I really like this kid. I think the Rams jump on him like Nero on Poppea.

I debated giving Brown to Miami but in the end I'm just not sold on him being a future top left tackle. I see him as a better fit on the right side, and Miami already has a right tackle in Vernon Carey. Meanwhile I'm not sure anything on Houston's line is so secure that they couldn't add help at any position. Winston slipping to them last year was fortunate but they may view him as more of a guard.
    Boylhart feels the same way about Brown - RT or even OG. I think Houston is desparate for OL help. They have neglected it for years. They blew the Barron pick. And they crapped out on the Pace deal. Sounds funny but they could have had both our starting OT's.

As for Staley, his stock has been rising but I'm having a hard time finding a spot to reflect that in round one. I currently have him slotted to Baltimore, though I think that's pretty low for him. He would have gone to KC had they not signed McIntosh to a big deal. In the end, Pittsburgh might be a landing destination, with Denver or New England also possibilities.
    I view Staley as a pure surprise pick at a high demand position. I think if Brown goes before Houston's pick they may reach. It's not impossible that Brown ends up in Arizona.
    Last edited by max; -04-06-2007 at 05:15 PM.

max

For what it's worth, my top 12 draft projection as it stands right now is...

1. Oakland Raiders: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
    2. Detroit Lions: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
    3. Cleveland Browns: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
    4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
    5. Arizona Cardinals: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
    6. Washington Redskins: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
    7. Minnesota Vikings: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
    8. Atlanta Falcons (f/HOU): LaRon Landry, S, LSU
    9. Miami Dolphins: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
    10. Houston Texans (f/ATL): Levi Brown, OT, Penn State
    11. San Francisco *****: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
    12. Buffalo Bills: Patrick Willis, MLB, Mississippi
    Giving this some more thought. (Assuming Washington doesn't trade down).

If Anderson gets past Atlanta at #8, I don't see the next 4 teams taking him. Miami has more pressing needs and there will be BPA's there. Houston needs an OT, SF is looking for 3-4 players, Bills want Willis, Lynch, or WR. Assuming Landry is there for Atlanta, Anderson will drop to us, IMHO.
    Last edited by max; -04-06-2007 at 06:50 PM.

Giving this some more thought. (Assuming Washington doesn't trade down).

If Anderson gets past Atlanta at #8, I don't see the next 4 teams taking him. Miami has more pressing needs and there will be BPA's there. Houston needs an OT, Anderson is looking for 3-4 players, Bills want Willis, Lynch, or WR. Assuming Landry is there for Atlanta, Anderson will drop to us, IMHO.
    The question then becomes whether or not we take him over Branch. Personally, I can only hope we face that question on draft day.

max

The question then becomes whether or not we take him over Branch. Personally, I can only hope we face that question on draft day.
    I think I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago that the Rams are high on Anderson. Came from Balzer or Thomas, if I recall correctly.

If you can believe the buzz from the beat writers, Rams love Adams, like Okoye, Anderson, Willis (but don't want a LB in the first), so-so on Carriker, less so on Branch.

So I think Linny jumps on Anderson over Branch. He has said often he wants a pass rush on 3nd down.

If you can believe the buzz from the beat writers, Rams love Adams, like Okoye, Anderson, Willis (but don't want a LB in the first), so-so on Carriker, less so on Branch.
    Last I heard, the Rams are a lot more than so-so on Carriker because they envisioned him as a potential three technique inside at tackle.

max

Last I heard, the Rams are a lot more than so-so on Carriker because they envisioned him as a potential three technique inside at tackle.
    Yes. I heard that too.

Some other stuff:
    http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=443059

Jim Thomas on the Rams:

Caught the tail end of him on the radio with Bernie and Randy K.

Says the Rams like Okoye but dont expect him to be there at #13.

He says the really like Carriker and Anderson, probably move Carriker inside to DT.

Says they are luke warm at best on Branch.

So nothing really new, still no talk about taking a LB and I have yet to hear from anyone who follows the Rams that its going to be anything other then DE or DT in the 1st.

Just thought I would pass it along.

Other quotes from Linny at the Combine:

9. On Defensive ends:“The every down end, the guy that plays the run first with decent or good pass rush skills and then there’s the third down guys that can come in and you have to put two guys on and account for,” Linehan said. “Those are two different types of players. I think there’s a good depth at both of those positions, it’s just what you are looking for. There’s some guys that we are certainly interested in being on the other side of Leonard that could help us when we get in those situations.”

So, which would the Rams prefer? Do they want a player like Adams, Florida’s Jarvis Moss and Purdue’s Anthony Spencer or would they rather have an end that can be stout against the run with a little pass rush mixed in like Nebraska’s Adam Carriker or Georgia’s Charles Johnson?

“I am going to be realistic about it,” Linehan said. “As an offensive guy, you worry more about the guy that rushes the passer. Once you get to third down, if you have to give that guy attention with two people that affects your ability offensively.”

10. Same subject continued:“I think that’s what you are looking for,” Linehan said. “I think you can get a first and second down
    player, but I think that’s what we got last year. I’d like to get that guy that you know his name. That’s how we describe it. You know the name of No. 52 because you watch that third down tape all week and he’s running around offensive tackles all the time.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12