View Poll Results: Is Amobi Okoye still an option for the Rams if he's there at the 13th overall pick?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • SIDE A: Yes, the Rams should still consider Okoye as an option.

14 66.67%
  • SIDE B: No, the Rams should no longer consider Okoye and option.

7 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amobi Okoye

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Amobi Okoye

Alright, let's put this up to a poll.

A 287-lbs weigh in at the Senior Bowl has changed the outlook of many who thought Okoye had the potential to be a nose tackle in the NFL, myself included. At this point, he looks much more like a Warren Sapp 3-technique under tackle. At only 19 years old, Okoye could certainly get bigger. But he's on record himself as saying his target weight is around 295 which is where he played at this season. ASSUME FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS POLL THAT OKOYE, EVEN IF HE GAINS WEIGHT, WILL BE AN UNDER TACKLE IN THE PROS AND NOT A NOSE.

So with all that being said, if Amobi Okoye is on the board @ the 13th overall pick, do you still consider him an option for the Rams?

Here are the two sides of this debate, as I see them...

SIDE A: Yes, Okoye is most certainly still an option for the Rams at 13th overall. When your defensive line is as disappointing as ours was in 2006, you don't have the luxury of nitpicking what kind of player you get to add. When you see talent, you have to grab it! Looking back at this season, the only starter on the defensive line whose job should be secure is Leonard Little. Furthermore, let's examine the Rams' personnel at the under tackle position. La'Roi Glover was sporadic in terms of pressuring the quarterback. He's aging and is only signed for two more seasons. Claude Wroten rarely saw the field, and when he did, some of that field time was at defensive end. Word has it his work ethic is questionable, and he hasn't shown enough to be considered the future at this point. Drafting Okoye gives us an impressive young talent to groom as a future stand out on our defensive line, even if it's not at the position we originally thought it would be.

SIDE B: Of course we don't consider Amobi Okoye at 13! One of the biggest problems for this defense in 2006 was the defensive lines' inability to stop the run by clogging running lanes as well as their inability to occupy blockers and keep them off of a smaller linebacker group. The Rams are in desperate need of a big bodied nose tackle who is going to take on the double team and allow Will Witherspoon to roam in the middle and make plays. Drafting a tackle who currently weighs in at 287 doesn't bring us anywhere closer to accomplishing that. Furthermore, even though he was the target of occasional criticism, La'Roi Glover finished the year with five and a half sacks. Behind him is a young talented under tackle in Claude Wroten who fell in last year's draft only because of character concerns. And there's talk of possibly moving Jimmy Kennedy back to the 3-technique since he hasn't worked out on the nose. That's three UTs on the Rams' roster for 2007. Where does Okoye fit in? Thanks but no thanks!
    Alright, where do you weigh in?
    Last edited by Nick; -01-29-2007 at 02:49 PM.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Amobi Okoye

He is only 19 now. Is he a junior? That is young.

For the moment I would have to fall on side B. I think you should always be very careful and conservative with your first round pick. There is plenty of room for nitpicking.

So what is the average weight for a nose tackle and does weight really tie into performance for that position?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Weight comes into play in a big way because of the laws of inertia. An object with bigger mass moving at the same speed is harder to stop. Likewise a bigger object is harder to move and/or get around. The nose tackle is almost always going to be the biggest player on the field because it makes him hard to move out of a running lane and hard to stop when he tries to collapse the pocket (that's why a good NT still draws double-teams even though the faster guys are usually better pass rushers).

That said, I'd definitely consider him an option at #13. He's so young, his body may actually still be growing. I think the average male doesn't reach their full adult size until around 21. I'd be more concerned about how much we might be gambling on upside here than size or weight concerns, but it sounds like he's a smart player with a good work ethic and good enough to earn playing time at the college level when he was a 15 year old freshman.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Side C - Depends whethere he can gain some pounds and bulk up to 315 and play NT or not and help stop the run.

But he does have plenty of talent so Side C, -Balanced
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Side C - Depends whethere he can gain some pounds and bulk up to 315 and play NT or not and help stop the run.
    I was trying to rule that scenario out with the first paragraph of my post. He's 287 now, and while he can still grow, I'm not sure I see him adding 30 pounds especially when he says his ideal weight is around 295.

The premise of the poll is whether or not Okoye is still an option if he's not a nose tackle. Thus you can't exactly create an option to vote for that suggests he still could be. Kind of defeats the purpose...

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Well, I suppose if he had good burst and can drive the guy across from him back that'd be a scenerio then of him just driving his blocker back into the backfield and disrupting the run rather than just filling up gaps.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Well, I suppose if he had good burst and can drive the guy across from him back that'd be a scenerio then of him just driving his blocker back into the backfield and disrupting the run rather than just filling up gaps.
    ...so that means you're choosing A or B?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I chose A.

He's only 19 with unlimited potential. I feel he will gain the weight as he matures.

I edited in a line into the original post to try and clarify the poll's point about whether or not Okoye as an under tackle is still an option for the Rams.

viper is offline Registered User

I picked "A". I don't think Glover is the answer at UT. If we draft Okoye we still get a playmaker into the rotation. Plus, assuming Glover is here next year he could be teaching Okoye the ins and outs of the position in the NFL. We can still find a good NT thru FA or the draft.

Jimmyrid is offline Registered User

Ok guys, this is my tuppence worth. I say we go option A. Draft Okoye in the first and play him at the UT position instead of the NT position. Then in FA we try and pick up a true NT like Terdell Sands, the guy from New Orleans that's been mentioned before or someone else and then we would have a strong pairing in the middle. You also then have Wroten, Glover and Kennedy (if we keep them all!!) as back ups and yes I know none of them are true NT's. I think Kennedy would be the best option as a back up for the NT position as he has been trying to play this position the past season. This is the way I would like to see it go, however there is still loads of time to ponder and rethink this whole situation and a completely different scenario could and probably will happen. Whatever happens we need to get this sorted out sooner rather than later. JMO.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I voted "no." While he may be a very good player, I think the Rams would be better served to focus on the DE crop, which is deeper and could produce an immediate starter at a need position. Hopefully, the need for a bigger DT can be filled either through FA or in the 2nd or 3rd round.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Would Okoye be useable at DE?

Also, we will definitely look at Okoye, but if whether we draft him surely is determined by how FA goes. For example, if we sign Terdell Sands, Lance Briggs and Charles Grant, then we have the luxury of drafting Okoye. Thats not likely to happen, but its just an example.

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

I don't watch college football, so I'm not sure which players rank where. If Okoye is the best player available, the Rams need to take him. If there's a better player at #13, then the Rams should grab him. I don't feel the Rams are good enough yet that they can target a specific area. The only position I think they can rule out in the first round is quarterback and running back.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

Country is offline Registered User
    Okoye would be a great pick because he can penetrate to stop the run like Tommie Harris does in Chicago.

for me it is a toss up between Willis and Okoye.

Okoye won't be undersized for very long. Remember last year when D'Brickshaw went to the senior bowl at 295lbs. then came ot the combine at 315lbs.

I expect Okoye to ber about 305lbs. by the time the combine rolls around.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-30-2007 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast