Thread: Andre Smith

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Andre Smith

Grace & Peace,

In an effort to give us a reason to focus on something other than the game today, I wanted to discuss (yes you guessed it) the draft. In between studying for finals yesterday, I had to take time out for the title games in particular the SEC Championship & there were several things I saw.

Andre Smith:
    I believe everyone wants this guy as our OT of the future, I mean what's not to like, he's big, physical, and on paper looks like the protypical all-everything OT, but hold your horses. Smith struggles with fast, athletic pass rushing ends, and if you saw the game yesterday you saw exactly that. In many aspects Brandon Spikes (who actually plays MLB) lined up over him and owned him. Now sure you can say he had a bad day, but in the NFL he's going to line up agaist guys who are stronger than Spikes and just as fast, so this could be a problem area. In watching Oher this year, he's more polished, more opposing, and just doesn't get beat, in my opinion (which I know doesn't account for much) he's the better OT, but doesn't get the pup b/c of the school he attends.

Brandon Spikes:
    He's from my area, so I've been watching him terrorize guys for years, the thing with him is (other than his freakish athletics) he gives you 100% on every play, but struggles in run support, he may even be able to switch to DE (which is why I feel Florida has him playing with that position now). Point being, he'll be a solid pro.

Percy Harvin:
    Yes he did not play yesterday, but he reminds me of DeShawn Jackson from the Eagles, he's a solid player its going to be intersting to see him at the next level.

Tim Tebow:
    Now you all know I love this guy, maybe its because his family are missionaries, and he does a great deal of ministry (and I'm a minister as well), but there is something to say about a guy that will lead your team & will them to win (ex. Big Ben), you have to have a leader at the QB position, and although I admit that he needs to work on taking the snap from under center, he will be a star at the next level. He's strong, athletic, and he can make all the throws even under pressure. He doesn't make excuses for his mistakes, rather he works on getting better (sounds like Kurt Warner).

*That's just my take, now back to studying, but if you watched the game yesterday, tell me what you think especially in regards to the Smith vs. Oher debate.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: Andre Smith

I don't want Tebow- I wouldn't waste a first round pick on someone just because his parents do missionary work.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I appreciate your comments, MofG. BTW what course (or major) are you studying for?

WHAT SAY YE?

Keenum is offline Registered User

I want Smith. We gotta fix the O-line if we want to go anywhere.
    I've seen a lot of stuff where Tebow may not go until the 3rd or 4th round. I know that can change in an instant (see Vince Young in the National Championship game, his stock shot up BIG). We do need to get a QB in this draft, and early, perhaps in the 2nd round or so. I wouldn't mind us taking a chance with Tebow if he's there in the 3rd or 4th though. I know he works hard, has a great attitude, and I think he can adjust to an NFL offense with time.
    Most likely though will be us getting a QB in the 2nd round, at least that's what I hope. Andre Smith with the 1st, QB in the 2nd.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I was shocked at how Andre Smith played in the SEC game. He didn't live up to expectations. However, we cannot count him out because of one game. Florida lit up the field.

I think we still need to fix the defense...there are a few players we need to keep on that squad though.

Front four
    Bartell
    Atogwe
    Witherspoon
    Pisa

everyone else needs to be changed. and we need a true run stopping DT in there. We can keep some back ups.

But I think due to Pace's age and Barron's inconsistency, we could use a true OT. And the debate comes down to Smith and Oher.

BIG-BLUE is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Grace & Peace,

In an effort to give us a reason to focus on something other than the game today, I wanted to discuss (yes you guessed it) the draft. In between studying for finals yesterday, I had to take time out for the title games in particular the SEC Championship & there were several things I saw.

Andre Smith:
    I believe everyone wants this guy as our OT of the future, I mean what's not to like, he's big, physical, and on paper looks like the protypical all-everything OT, but hold your horses. Smith struggles with fast, athletic pass rushing ends, and if you saw the game yesterday you saw exactly that. In many aspects Brandon Spikes (who actually plays MLB) lined up over him and owned him. Now sure you can say he had a bad day, but in the NFL he's going to line up agaist guys who are stronger than Spikes and just as fast, so this could be a problem area. In watching Oher this year, he's more polished, more opposing, and just doesn't get beat, in my opinion (which I know doesn't account for much) he's the better OT, but doesn't get the pup b/c of the school he attends.

Brandon Spikes:
    He's from my area, so I've been watching him terrorize guys for years, the thing with him is (other than his freakish athletics) he gives you 100% on every play, but struggles in run support, he may even be able to switch to DE (which is why I feel Florida has him playing with that position now). Point being, he'll be a solid pro.

Percy Harvin:
    Yes he did not play yesterday, but he reminds me of DeShawn Jackson from the Eagles, he's a solid player its going to be intersting to see him at the next level.

Tim Tebow:
    Now you all know I love this guy, maybe its because his family are missionaries, and he does a great deal of ministry (and I'm a minister as well), but there is something to say about a guy that will lead your team & will them to win (ex. Big Ben), you have to have a leader at the QB position, and although I admit that he needs to work on taking the snap from under center, he will be a star at the next level. He's strong, athletic, and he can make all the throws even under pressure. He doesn't make excuses for his mistakes, rather he works on getting better (sounds like Kurt Warner).

*That's just my take, now back to studying, but if you watched the game yesterday, tell me what you think especially in regards to the Smith vs. Oher debate.

Oher & Smith will both do very well at the next level. I would give Oher the nod over Smith only due to the extra year that Oher has under him.

Agreed on Spikes. Loved his game in the SEC championship, played like a man on a mission.

Harvin would be sweet but we just have to many other holes to fill.

Tebow, I'm with you on this 100%. 1st he is a strong fiery competitive person who is also very intelligent, has the intangibles to lead a team. Some have questioned his arm strength & accuracy, but I've seen the kid make some amazing throws. The only area I see as a problem will be his ability to run, he will have to temper that back some and become more of a true NFL style QB or he could end up paying the price with the big boys knocking him around.
    Whom ever drafts this kid will have a superstar if he gets into a stable situation on a team where he will have time to adjust to the NFL.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I don't want Tebow- I wouldn't waste a first round pick on someone just because his parents do missionary work.
    Obviously you didn't read the post fam, but either way God Bless!
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I appreciate your comments, MofG. BTW what course (or major) are you studying for?

WHAT SAY YE?
    Getting my masters in Christian Counseling & marriage and family therapy
    Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    I want Smith. We gotta fix the O-line if we want to go anywhere.
    I've seen a lot of stuff where Tebow may not go until the 3rd or 4th round. I know that can change in an instant (see Vince Young in the National Championship game, his stock shot up BIG). We do need to get a QB in this draft, and early, perhaps in the 2nd round or so. I wouldn't mind us taking a chance with Tebow if he's there in the 3rd or 4th though. I know he works hard, has a great attitude, and I think he can adjust to an NFL offense with time.
    Most likely though will be us getting a QB in the 2nd round, at least that's what I hope. Andre Smith with the 1st, QB in the 2nd.
    Can't wait until the draft workouts, this is going to be interesting, this'll be the first time I followed the O-line stock more so than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I was shocked at how Andre Smith played in the SEC game. He didn't live up to expectations. However, we cannot count him out because of one game. Florida lit up the field.

I think we still need to fix the defense...there are a few players we need to keep on that squad though.

Front four
    Bartell
    Atogwe
    Witherspoon
    Pisa

everyone else needs to be changed. and we need a true run stopping DT in there. We can keep some back ups.

But I think due to Pace's age and Barron's inconsistency, we could use a true OT. And the debate comes down to Smith and Oher.
    I was shocked as well, there is one thing to have a bad game, but another to just get "beat" all day long, and he got beat! I'm thinking the defense is a HUGE problem and at this point probally a bigger need than OT (since our draft has so many OT's to take).

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post

I don't think he was saying all of these players could be our first round pick, I think he was just talking about them because it was related to the championship game.

Anyway, seeing Smith's performance was disappointing, as I enjoyed watching him destroy people throughout the year. It's too early to tell who will be the ultimate pick, but hopefully Oher plays in the senior bowl, and we can see how he stands up against top talent.

I'd have to say, though that I'm back to neutral about my preference for our choice.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I think they both will be dominat lineman, but I would rather have Oher because I think he will be a dominant LT whereas Smith will be a solid LT or dominant somewhere else on the o-line like guard or RT