Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Annual: "Why do I have a feeling that"

Always, every year, we as fans get one of those "why do I have a feeling that" pops up in our head about rookies or free agent signings. Mine goes all the way back to Jamie Duncan, I always felt like that was such a big mistake to lose London Fletcher for him.

Anyway, last year I didn't have one. Two years ago, mine was Cromartie over Hill. Guess I should bury that one.

This year, I have this feeling that if we pass up on Dorsey it's going to be a bad vibe. I don't have 40 times, or anything else scientific to back up my thought. I just watched this kid play alot and think that it would be a mistake only because we have a "potential" in Ryan. He did do well last year, but Dorsey seems to be a different type of breed. One of those you would walk into battle behind him and feel comfortable. We haven't had one of those in quite awhile on this team.

Not saying whoever we draft is going to be a bust, it's going to be hard to screw up this #2 pick in the draft because of the talent there. It's just that Dorsey brings that junkyard dog that the others don't that maybe warms me up to drafting him.

Just a thought. That and 3.50 gets you a gallon of gas in most parts.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: Annual: "Why do I have a feeling that"

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Two years ago, mine was Cromartie over Hill. Guess I should bury that one.

This year, I have this feeling that if we pass up on Dorsey it's going to be a bad vibe. I don't have 40 times, or anything else scientific to back up my thought. I just watched this kid play alot and think that it would be a mistake only because we have a "potential" in Ryan. He did do well last year, but Dorsey seems to be a different type of breed. One of those you would walk into battle behind him and feel comfortable. We haven't had one of those in quite awhile on this team.
    Wow, we have alot more in common than I thought. I was also one who thought Cromartie would be the better pick and player for our team, but we went the safe route and took Hill. The only good that comes out of that is that Hill has flashed brilliance when heatlhy, he just needs to be able to do that for a full season. And if that 'safe' strategy lives up once again this season as it did with the past two, then there is a good chance you and I will get our wish and Dorsey will be taken.

I also agree with your feeling this year as well, and although I don't think whoever we take instead of him will bust, I just feel we will pass on a true gamechanger on and off the field. Many people looked silly passing on Adrian Peterson last year, and we would look dumb passing on Dorsey.

Great point about Ryan. You do not pass on a superstar just because someone else has shown flashes of potential. Would you pass on Ray Lewis because a player like say Omar Gaither (coincidentally he was a fifth round pick like Ryan) has shown for two seasons he can get the job done and keep improving? Of course not. You take Ray Lewis and plug him in right away to help the team. Dorsey has everything you basically listed above, he can carry the team on his back and has the passion that everyone rallies around to perform at their highest level. This is a great quote I found from him:

"There's nothing wrong with my knee, man," Dorsey told the Sentinel on Wednesday. "It's like people are just throwing stuff out there to try and create a buzz. It seems funny where they get this stuff." "I will make an impact right away," Dorsey vowed. "I will give my heart and soul to the team that takes me."
    In my eyes, the only thing that can prevent Dorsey from having an amazing career is injuries. I hope he checks out healthy before the draft, and even if we don't take him, I wish him a great and healthy career in the NFL.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

you make a great case for drafting him but I don't think a defensive tackle can carry a team on his back,he can make the defense better and I am sure he would,can't complain if he is the pick.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I still have him number four on my board for the Rams. I would have him one if we did not take AC last year and Ryan looked like a keeper as well.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-26-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It's funny, I'm having the exact opposite feeling.

I don't buy into Dorsey; certainly's he's a great player, and a proven player in college.

But is he that much better than Chris or Jake Long?

I'm concerned about his shin splints, leg injuries, whatever you'll call them. How are they going to affect his play in the Pros? Moreover, there are concerns as to how he'd fit into our system, with the players we presently have? Do we put him at UT, and if so, what do we do with Carriker? Do we put him at Nose, where he may not be suited, and we already have a young, improving starter?

I get a bad vibe from Dorsey, not the other way around. Gholston scares me, too. He reminds me of TE Vernon Davis in a lot of ways. Considered a first rounder most of the season, great play vaults him into top 10 projections, great workouts vaults him into top 5 talks. But do you select a pure edge rusher with the second overall pick? The Bears and Colts have shown you can have success with this in later rounds with Robert Mathis and Mark Anderson. What about Adewale Ogunlye? Osi Umenuora? (sp). He seems to have that one dimension that teams love; but was it due to his sheer physical ability in College? I mean, he's a beast! Great 40 time, the most reps of anyone at the combine. Will his skills as a pass rusher translate to the next level, where he'll be facing superior and more experienced atheltes to those he played in college?

Dorsey I don't like as prospect for the Rams. He worries me.
    Gholston I like more as a prospect for the Rams, but IMO, he's at the top of my list of "boom or bust" candidates for the 08 draft, sheerly because he has such physical potential, and had success with that potential in College.

In other words..."The draft is a crap shoot".

eric2810 is offline Registered User

^^nice I see where ur getting at. so basically in your opinion either long would be the safest pick?

rammiser is offline Registered User

Great thread, I had a feeling about taking Eric Wright in the second round last year instead of Leonard. Wright turned out to be a pretty good corner his rookie year. I'm with you TX this draft scares the hell out of me and it seems the only guy with star power aside from Mcfadden is Dorsey. Both Long's scare me to a degree. Like you said I have no proof of why, it's a gut feeling and probably the reason I'm not and NFL scout. I do not have a good feeling about any player at the top of the draft. Gholston scares me because he is a linebacker not really a DE. I'm sure he could play DE but he was inconsistant in college but great at the combine. Combine workouts sometimes just fool teams into falling in love with a player and drafting them and realizing they were just great at the combine. Maybe just take Dorsey or try to trade with Dallas for both their picks. I hate picking late in the first but I'm not sure the talent at the top of this draft is that much better than the talent at the bottom of the first round. This draft terrifies me not only because the Rams could royally screw it up but just not sure we get that blue chip starter at the #2 pick.
    Just Fix It

Rammed is online now Registered User

Nice thread,

Dorsey scares me even more because I have the gut feeling that Ellis will be a better player on a Pro Level. I rate him higher than I do Dorsey on my "gut o meter"

I just feel that J. Long is the safe pick. I feel good with that rather not have the "boom or bust" chance at #2 then again and it's said before it's a crap shoot.

Gut O Meter
    1. J. Long
    2 S. Ellis
    3 C. long
    4 D. McFadden
    5 G. Dorsey
    6 M. Ryan
    7 V. Gholston

ram1906 is offline Registered User

The Rams cannot screw this pick up....let break Down top prospect:
    1) Chris Long- Great motor you know what you are going to get with him....Patrick Kerney /Grant Winstrom prototype. Effort on every play (
    2) Jake Long- Outstanding pass Blocker... Not as Athletic as top tackle last year (J. Thomas) but great college pedigree
    3) Glen Dorsey- Outstanding Motor with injury concerns. Did not display same interior force after 08 knee injury...see decline in pressures and sacks
    4) Vernon Gohlston- Work out beast....4.5 40, 37 reps, 42 inch vertical....force on d line with lb size ( can you say L. Little)

So who do we pick???... Well not C. Long- obviously the safest pick if he fell, but safe has got the rams at 3-13
    Well not Jake Long- he would be the best fit and obvious choice except for one thing. We have Barron and Pace and retooling him to play an unnatural position guard is not worthy of someone you spending the second choice on
    Well not Dorsey- too many injury concerns...compared to Warren Sapp....but other than a little puff puff pass concern...you knew what Warren was bringing...Dorsey , with the tapering off of his production after injury, cant be the pick
    Gholston---the biggest upside of the four. Brings a greater explosion than Long. Could easily be converted into 3-4 ( See hasletts 3-4 packages last year) and is a beast on the field. He reminds me of Julius Peppers, and I dont think Carolina thinks they made a ,istake using number 2 on him....just my thoughts

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i think people are getting confused. Dorsey is going to be better as a UT, not an NT. So Ryan's development doesnt really mean anything, as Dorsey would play where Carriker does. Which is why its a bit of a waste to draft Dorsey.

Now i know we shouldnt draft for need or what we have on the team already, but there is a massive massive gap at Defensive End that we need to fill. So someone like Chris Long or Gholston makes sense. I dont like the idea of reaching for Gholston at #2 though. I wouldnt be opposed to drafting Dorsey though if Chris Long is off the board, but even then i would still prefer Jake Long.

The thing about Dorsey is that there has been too much injury talk for my liking. If there wasnt a problem, why hasnt it gone away?

ram1906 is offline Registered User

Gholston at 2 is not a stretch.....he is the best athlete...Hands down...in the draft...He was more versitale than Long....Long was the 3 tec DE for Virginia....VG dropped into coverage about 30% of the time.....He is a beast...and yes the combine numbers pushed him to a new level, but they only gave a true indicator of his athletic ability. Athletic ability does not always translate into football greatness....but in the words of one scout..." this Gholston kid is not one of the best athletes in the draft....he is one of the best athletes in the world..." definetly that is worth a strong look at number two.:r

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

This year, I have this feeling that if we pass up on Dorsey it's going to be a bad vibe. I don't have 40 times, or anything else scientific to back up my thought. I just watched this kid play alot and think that it would be a mistake only because we have a "potential" in Ryan.
    The problem with this part of you analysis is that Ryan and Dorsey don't play the same position. Ryan is a NT, while Dorsey is a UT, which puts him in competition with Carriker.

In my mind, taking Dorsey carries two big risks.

First, there are, of course, still question marks about his health.

Second, even if he is perfectly healthy, and a potential Pro Bowl player at UT, does he make the defense better if he forces Carriker to play at a position that does not maximize his potential?

I still think the Rams need to take Chris Long or Vernon Gholston and leave Carriker at UT.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Well atleast we will find out some stuff today regarding Dorseys health and measurables. LSU's pro day is today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Guys this isn't an analysis on anything except my gut that is right now also filled with three chorizo egg and cheese tacos from this morning's breakfast.

jquarando is offline Registered User

Guys this isn't an analysis on anything except my gut that is right now also filled with three chorizo egg and cheese tacos from this morning's breakfast.
    Cheese tacos? That sounds like a waste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast