Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Richbert88

Thread: Another Mock.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Another Mock.

I can't remember ever doing one of these, and I am very bored with this drawn out schedule, so please forgive
    Here is a breakdown of a mock I pondered for about a week. It also means absolutely nothing of course.

1-10 Ha-Ha Clinton Dix S (Atlanta 2 <MacK>: Rams 6, 37, 2015 2 - then Detroit 6 <Evans>, 188: Rams 10, 44, 111, 2015 2)
    6-1, 210. Plug and play FS. Sorely needed in the Rams backfield. Would allow more press from the CBs, instead of allowing such a large cushion at the LOS.

1-16 Zack Martin OT/OG (Dallas 13 <Jernigan>, 241: Rams 16, 78)
    6-4, 310. Can play inside or outside if needed. Technically sound solid and tough long term versatile lineman.

2-37 Kyle Van Noy OLB
    6-3, 245. SLB, nice size, does little things well, twitchy and fluid with decent coverage skills. Instinctive and recognizes well. Will kill on STs. Whose behind Dunbar? RayRay?

2-44 Stan Jean-Baptiste CB
    6-2, 215. Huge corner with decent instincts and battles for the ball. Will be coached into being more physical. Much needed big corner who can be had with a better CFer covering over the top. Probably quite a bit early for him.

2-45 Deonne Bucannon S
    6-1, 200. Nice size, delivers hits, fierce. Needs coaching up. STs contributor too. Whats the depth at S like? McCleod?

3-66 Billy Turner OG/OT (Washington 75, 78, 110, 153: Rams 66, 102, 142)
    6-5, 315. Big, MEAN, versatile. Can play inside or out (theme). Could push Barksdale as a rookie. Rams lost three OL, Jones in year two and getting two others helps.

4-102 Dakota Dozier OT/OG
    6-4, 310. Versatile convert to OG. Very good body control and balance, very effective second level blocker. Nice size small school stud. NFCW requires quality depth at OL and Stacy will love him.

4-111 David Failes QB
    6-1, 220. Decent size, moves while maintaining look down field, can feel the pocket. Bearing. Coachable with strong work ethic. Who really trusts Hill? And Hill isn't a long term backup.

5-142 Rajion Neal RB
    5-11, 210. Will hold up pass blocking. Capable reciever. Similar IMO to Stacy (read this somewhere else too).

6-214 Ryan Carrethers DT
    6-1, 330. Big man with awareness and is quick reading plays.

7-226 Kevin Norwood WR
    Body 6-2, 198. control galore. Hands catcher. Clutch. Reliable.

7-249 L'Damian Washington WR
    Size, 6-4, 205. Size. Speed to take the top off. Occasionally nasty at blocking. PS potential as developmental.

7-250 Ben Gardner DE
    6-4, 275. Edge lineman in college. Decent size. High motor effort type. Out works and out efforts his shortcomings.

Closing the depth gap and fixing some holes should/will be the focus of this draft. This strengthen the secondary, safety starter and depth. This gives a huge infusion of talent to the OL, which has and continues to be an issue for the division the Rams play, and it really is a lot of talent (who really wanted to see Williams start and Smith be a key backup). This addresses LB a bit and improves depth again. Lots of developmental talent too and Neal could really be a find.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -05-04-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    clarasDK likes this.

Semper Fi!

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Re: Another Mock.

I like this alot the only change I would make is the very first one. Instead of Ha-Ha I would go with Aaron Donald. Especially given that Bucannon is a pick as well. Outside of that, happy happy.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Rich nice try. Please understand one thing about this years draft. We have a top 5 selection and should get a future pro bowl selection. By going down to #10 we pretty much give that away. I for one am tired of adding draft picks. Give me a quality guy at #2... Don't really care about picks 10, 16, 37 or 44....

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Rich nice try. Please understand one thing about this years draft. We have a top 5 selection and should get a future pro bowl selection. By going down to #10 we pretty much give that away. I for one am tired of adding draft picks. Give me a quality guy at #2... Don't really care about picks 10, 16, 37 or 44....
    Too kind Jersey. My thoughts go here though because you can't have Williams level talent starting on the OL and still succeed in the NFCW. Average won't cut it and one of those top five is still just one. My thinking is that the gap in talent is exaggerated.

Just this morning I read in part of a story from Wagoner (who may be bored at this point as well) summarizing Kiper and Maylok I think.

Arguments can certainly be made for other picks, such as top offensive tackle Greg Robinson of Auburn, but many scouts believe the drop off from Robinson to Martin isn't as big as the one that the Rams would have if they wanted to take a wideout at 13 (assuming Watkins and Texas A&M's Mike Evans are gone as expected). Martin would be an outstanding complement to Rodger Saffold as starting guards while also providing Saffold-like versatility to play tackle as well.

The Rams need many early picks in this draft and they need to hit on almost all.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -05-05-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by turbofargo View Post
    I like this alot the only change I would make is the very first one. Instead of Ha-Ha I would go with Aaron Donald. Especially given that Bucannon is a pick as well. Outside of that, happy happy.
    I just don't see the talent beyond McDonald. McCleod doesn't blow the skirt up at all. Without depth to cover injuries (McDonald will get hurt again, he's a hitter) I just don't see the long pass plays ending or the CBs playing without such a large cushion. Both those Safeties are versatile enough they could cover in the slot and play the run also.
    Semper Fi!

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    A question (more meant in general and not only pointing against your statement)... Of all the top 5 that have been picked let’s say the last 20 years, how many have been pro bowl players? I understand where you are coming from, but when thing we have to remember in all this draft hype is that, there is no sure thing in the draft, not even in the top 5.

I Would do this double trade down in a heartbeat, with the depth of this draft there is (in my opnion) a much greater chance of finding a pro bowl player by having more picks than putting all the money on one pick, even if it is the nr 2 overall!

All of the top 5 candidates have potential issues:

Clowney = Not a hard worker
    Mack = small school prospect (Curry version 2.0?)
    Watkins = not large enough? Is he actually the type of WR we need?
    Robinson = Can he become a good pass protector or will he always just be a guard? Is he worth drafting only to play guard?
    Matthews = has he hit his selling already?

Offcourse there is a chance that having the pick of the litter should ensure a better chance of a stud, but time and time again it does not work out like that.
    Last edited by clarasDK; -05-05-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK View Post
    A question (more meant in general and not only pointing against your statement)... Of all the top 5 that have been picked let’s say the last 20 years, how many have been pro bowl players? I understand where you are coming from, but when thing we have to remember in all this draft hype is that, there is no sure thing in the draft, not even in the top 5.

I Would do this double trade down in a heartbeat, with the depth of this draft there is (in my opnion) a much greater chance of finding a pro bowl player by having more picks than putting all the money on one pick, even if it is the nr 2 overall!

All of the top 5 candidates have potential issues:

Clowney = Not a hard worker
    Mack = small school prospect (Curry version 2.0?)
    Watkins = not large enough? Is he actually the type of WR we need?
    Robinson = Can he become a good pass protector or will he always just be a guard? Is he worth drafting only to play guard?
    Matthews = has he hit his selling already?

Offcourse the chance that having the pick of the litter should ensure a better chance of a stud, but time and time again it does not work out like that.
    Robert Quinn wasn't a top ten pick. Brockers IMO, who also wasn't a top ten pick, has Pro Bowl potential.
    Semper Fi!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK
    Of all the top 5 that have been picked let’s say the last 20 years, how many have been pro bowl players?
    Not counting last year (with only a single season sample size), over the past 20 seasons, the top 5 draft picks generate, on average, 2.85 pro bowlers.

Trivia: Of those 20 seasons, only the 2009 draft has failed to generate a pro bowler in the top 5. In fact, that draft has had only 6 pro bowlers in the entire 1st round.

Trivia: While 5 drafts (2010, 2004, 2001, 1997, & 1996) have generated 4 pro bowlers from their top 5, the only draft to put all 5 of its top 5 picks in a pro bowl is the 2011 draft (Cam Newton, Von Miller, Marcel Dareus, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson). Additionally, only 4 (Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, & Nick Fairley) of the first 16 picks in this draft have not been to a pro bowl.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams are going to give up a chance at the top 7 prospects (Clowney, Robinson, Mack, Matthews, Watkins, Evans, Lewan), this would certainly be a good way to go.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Having 8 picks in the top 111 in this draft class would be amazing. Like what you did with them as well but like the idea to keep adding talent through the draft. Nice mock!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not looking for quantity I want quality...

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    You don't think you get both with this?

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I don't think the drop in quality is all the great. There are concerns with the top five, even if those concerns are less than others later. There is always concerns. But the quality difference is just not as great as to pass on a possible load of talent that I think could be had.

The Rams are not two or three players away. They serious need some serious depth too.

This idea will fix that OL and will make Bradford, Stacy and all the receivers better. The DBs and SLB and late round potential for rotational depth makes the defense better. Watkins and a 2nd and 3rd rounder aren't going to accomplish that.
    Semper Fi!