RedArcher7 Guest

Another one bites the dust (and a bunch more)

That defensive end I was talking about, Chris Kelsay got resigned by the Bills.

Bills sign rising defensive end Kelsay just in time

Feb. 26, 2007
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills signed defensive end Chris Kelsay on Monday, four days before he was to become an unrestricted free agent.

A second-round draft pick in 2003 out of Nebraska, Kelsay emerged as one of the Bills' top defensive linemen last season. Starting all 16 games for the second straight year, he had career highs in tackles (88) and sacks (5.5), finishing third on the team in sacks and sixth in tackles.

He made a sack in each of the Bills' first three games in 2006, and had a season-high six tackles against Chicago on Oct. 8, and matched that total the following week against Detroit.

The 27-year-old Kelsay has started 41 of his 64 career games, finishing with 177 tackles and 12.5 sacks. He also has two interceptions and four fumble recoveries during his four years with Buffalo.

That leaves our free agent defensive line options to, Kearny.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -02-26-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Another one bites the dust...

We have more options than Kerney. We just likely have to resolve ourselves to the fact that whomever we bring in is going to be part of a rotation rather than a full time starter.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Another one bites the dust...

Yep - Hollis Thomas and Cullen Jenkins too...

Saints | H. Thomas signs four-year extension
    Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:31:13 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the New Orleans Saints have signed DT Hollis Thomas to a four-year contract extension. The deal totals $12 million with Thomas earning $6 million in 2007.

Packers | Jenkins signs four-year extension
    Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:08:21 -0800

ESPNews reports the Green Bay Packers have signed DL Cullen Jenkins to a four-year contract extension. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Bills | Team re-signs Kelsay
    Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:03:09 -0800

ESPNews reports the Buffalo Bills have re-signed DE Chris Kelsay. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

RedArcher7 Guest

Re: Another one bites the dust (and a bunch more)

Well yea, but it's probably better to look to the draft. Anthony Spencer, Jarvis Moss....The free agent pool at end is, lacking. You're right in that, if we sign someone off the street he's part of a rotation. I'd rather take a guy in the draft early, at least 1st or second round being such a good class for ends. But, we gotta do what we gotta do...

I apologize for spelling Patrick Kerney's name wrong every time I've used it.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If you ask me, our interior DL can be patched from FA for a lot less money that it will cost to fill in our DE from FA. If we find an Ian Scott or Robaire Smith type in FA, then manage a starting DE in the draft, our money may go a little further than if we did it the other way around.

Though passing on Okoye (if there) will be haaaaaaaard to do.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Country Guest

The draft is becoming very important.

Free Agents Left;

DE Pat Kerney
    DE James Hall

DT Ian Scott

LB Nap Harris
    LB Adalius Thomas [apparently going to the **ers]

keith m. klink Guest

this is not the end of the line yet guy's , don't throw in the towel. as seen with coakley and timmerman, there should be some cap casualtirs on march 2nd, and we might get a gem dropped on us, we can only wish that someone on the lower end of the cap has too many needs and drops one of there de's or dt's that we can scoop up, it happens every year, and we can wish can't we ?

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    Free Agents Left;

DE Pat Kerney
    DE James Hall
    James Hall isn't a free agent. He's still a Lion, but he's being shopped.

BIG GAME 81 Guest

The Carolina Panthers need to get under the Cap by March 2nd. DE Mike Rucker has a cap figure of around 6.9 million I've heard on the radio, so he could be cut if they don't do some restructuring. That would be a great pickup, if he does get released.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GAME 81 View Post
    The Carolina Panthers need to get under the Cap by March 2nd. DE Mike Rucker has a cap figure of around 6.9 million I've heard on the radio, so he could be cut if they don't do some restructuring. That would be a great pickup, if he does get released.
    Panthers | Rucker in teamís future plans
    Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:13:46 -0800

Scott Fowler, of the Charlotte Observer, reports Carolina Panthers DE Mike Rucker (knee) will likely remain with the club next season despite a serious knee injury and a $6.9 million salary cap figure for 2007. "We're hoping Mike Rucker can come back full strength next season," Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said, "and he's definitely in our plans. Mike Rucker typifies what we want in both a player and a person." The 32-year old Rucker tore his ACL in his left knee in 2006, but is looking forward to next year. "There's still a lot of tread left on my tires," Rucker said. "I plan to be fully ready for 2007." The club could negotiate a contract extension with Rucker to reduce the cap hit this year.