Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Irishrover40 is offline Registered User

Angry Another "red flag" for Andre Smith

Qopute from Rotoworld.com :

"Alabama OL Andre Smith was "visibly overweight" at his Pro Day Wednesday, according to Profootballtalk.com.

Terms like "not overly impressive," "rough," and "he bombed" are being used to describe Smith's performance. Teams will go back to the tape to evaluate Smith's junior-year performance before risking a high pick on him.
    Source: Profootballtalk.com "

Well, he screwed up again, besides the Combine. This is their chance at making impressions, & securing a future & getting big money . What in God's name are these guys thinking?????????????????????

MarshallMarshall Guest

Re: Another "red flag" for Andre Smith

WHATEVER.......... HE'll STILL BE A TOP 10 PICK, IMO.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Man he's doing everything he can to make sure he continues to slide, isn't he? He's working his way into mid- to late- 1st round status pretty quickly.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Man. He might be available when we pick in round three at this rate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

If he can't get motivated and execute on two of the most important job interviews in his life... how is he ever going to be motivated once a team signs him to a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract. Sorry but I wouldn't even waste our second round pick on this guy.

ecuram18 is offline Registered User

I think something fishy is going on. Like him and his agent are such big jerks that they'd rather him get drafted later in the 1st round in order to get on a better team. Maybe he would rather be on a better team that is gonna go to the playoffs next year than get a hefty paycheck. Possible not plausible. Overall, he is a dumbass. Please keep him away from St. Louis.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-12-2009 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Editing out inappropriate language

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMarshall View Post
    WHATEVER.......... HE'll STILL BE A TOP 10 PICK, IMO.
    I doubt it, if we took Curry #1 and had the choice between Beatty, Loadholt, A. Smith I would probably have to take the other two first at this point. He is starting to get a reputation as lazy and out of shape.

MarshallMarshall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ramssb99 View Post
    i doubt it, if we took curry #1 and had the choice between beatty, loadholt, a. Smith i would probably have to take the other two first at this point. He is starting to get a reputation as lazy and out of shape.
    ya, well he won't be there so it doesn't matter. I'm starting to rethink my top 10 comment but, i still don't think he drops farther then 15. I definitly wouldn't want him but someone will, tackles are the most sought after besides qb's. Someone will pick him up probably al davis @ #7.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't think there's anything fishy going on here. When a guy tips the scales at 330+, he's probably going to be a bit round-bodied. From what I understand, the workout was poor, but his positional drills were better. The bigger surprise to me is benching only 19 reps, especially for a guy who is supposed to be a road grader.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

Maybe he should go back to Alabama, and play 1 more year. He's definiteley not taking this opportunity very serious. Keep him away from my RAMS please.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Andre Smith is like that stuck up girl who never gave you the chance in High School..Now she's available and its more of a "Hi, gotta go" type thing lol..

rams#1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    Andre Smith is like that stuck up girl who never gave you the chance in High School..Now she's available and its more of a "Hi, gotta go" type thing lol..
    I had alot of those types at my old high school.......well college too actually. lol

shower beers is offline Registered User

Yikes...this is getting out of hand. No thanks, Mr. Smith.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMarshall View Post
    ya, well he won't be there so it doesn't matter. I'm starting to rethink my top 10 comment but, i still don't think he drops farther then 15. I definitly wouldn't want him but someone will, tackles are the most sought after besides qb's. Someone will pick him up probably al davis @ #7.
    But Tackles who consistently underproduce? Who show up overweight, who don't work out at the combine, who get suspended and then suspiciously disappear?

He reminds me a lot of Michigan DT Alan Branch, who was a projected top five pick but then fell to the top of round two. Arizona selected him and he hasn't been able to beat out Gabe Watson or Darnell Dockett for time in the rotation.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Alabama’s Smith not necessarily doomed by poor times
    Gil Brandt
    NFL.com

While Andre Smith may not have put forth sensational workout drill numbers, word out of Tuscaloosa is that he looked far better in his positional drills. The workout drills may not be totally indicative of Smith’s ability.

Weight issues and workout times are not always the best barometer of a prospect’s skill level. I’m reminded of former Pro Bowl lineman Nate Newton.

I signed Newton when I was with the Cowboys, the afternoon after the USFL went under and he weighed 295 pounds at the time (heavy for that day and age). Some of our coaches wondered how he would be able to perform at his size, but he wound up being one of the best players in the league at his position.

Not to say Smith will be the next Nate Newton, but he should not automatically be dismissed because of his weight or disappointing workout drill times — especially given his impressive college tape and solid performance in the positional drills.

That said, the initial impressions from Smith’s workout were not overly impressive. He came into his pro day hoping to post solid numbers and prove to scouts that he was in shape after showing up to the combine overweight and leaving Indianapolis unannounced without doing the drills.

He told Steve Wyche heading into the pro day, “There’s so much I’m putting into March 11. They say don’t put all your eggs in one basket but I’m doing that on this occasion because I feel like I need to give the best showing I can.”

Well, his workout times were unspectacular. He came in at 6-foot-4 ¼, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds. He did the short shuttle in 4.93 seconds.

To put Smith’s workout drills in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.
    I doubt he falls out of the top twenty, really. Someone will be too intrigued by his physical skill and game tape, and will have confidence (rightly or wrongly) in their ability to steer him on the right path.

IMO, he could be an option for the Whiners, Bills, Redskins, Bears, and Lions, all in the 10-20 range.

Imagine three months ago that someone would have told you Detroit could come out of this draft with Stafford and Andre Smith.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast