Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Another "red flag" for Andre Smith

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I think it's an anomaly. I've talked to several Alabama fans, and they said he's squeaky clean. He just screwed up before the game.

Investigate it. You won't find much on him. Don't you think it would have come out way before the bowl game? Up until that time, and up until the combine, he was the #1 O lineman to be drafted.
    Well, and during the season Oher was the #1 lineman too; though he's no longer in the running for the #2 spot either. But I digress...

Tx, it's not the kids integrity or willingness to abide by the rule of law that is in question here. We're talking about his maturity and willingness to work hard enough to make it at the next level to the degree that he will be paid (ie. #2 money).

A world of talent? No doubt.
    A good kid? Probably so, I don't know.
    Mature enough to put in the work needed? The Combine and Pro Day would say otherwise.

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't...........are you willing to pass up prospects without that question mark to give him the money?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

yep, right now I am. I am willing to take a risk on someone from the SEC that was an All-American than someone from a spread offense like Justin Smith and someone from the weak ACC like Eugene Monroe.

I'll base my decision on his play on the field. He's 20, he'll grow up.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-12-2009 at 02:54 PM.

yep, right now I am. I am willing to take a risk on someone from the SEC that was an All-American than someone from a spread offense like Justin Smith and someone from the weak ACC like Eugene Monroe.

I'll base my decision on his play on the field. He's 20, he'll grow up.
    I suppose we'll see in a few years or less. But if that is where you stand on it tx, with ALL due respect, I am very thankful you are not making the choice for the Rams. Unless he convinces the Rams FO that his actions have been an anomaly; AND his game film convinces the Rams FO that he is THAT much better than the other prospects, I want no part of him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ahhh.....watch us go with Crabtree or Curry anyway and all this is moot. BTW, BAYLOR BEAT KU in the BIg 12 Basketball tourney today.

WOOHOO

Ahhh.....watch us go with Crabtree or Curry anyway and all this is moot. BTW, BAYLOR BEAT KU in the BIg 12 Basketball tourney today.

WOOHOO
    I got to see part of that game. Heck of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I suppose we'll see in a few years or less. But if that is where you stand on it tx, with ALL due respect, I am very thankful you are not making the choice for the Rams. Unless he convinces the Rams FO that his actions have been an anomaly; AND his game film convinces the Rams FO that he is THAT much better than the other prospects, I want no part of him.
    Well HUb, he will go in the top 13. He won't slip past Washington. That right there should tell you he's got lots of talent. He had no issues while at Alabama except for that problem with the agent. Now, what's happening now is something I can't really grasp but I keep going back to Pace. he really never looked in shape either. I think Loadholt is the only OT that has a longer reach than Andre, thus the number of reps he did on the bench was less than say Justin Smith. He only got beat by Florida last year, and I've seen OP get schooled too (i.e. the Falcons playoff game). It's going to be really bad if the Rams take Justin Smith, who hasn't really run blocked much, and he doesn't pan out and here is Andre Smith who has run blocked his whole career at Alabama and shines for Washington and Clinton Portis.

The more I think about it, the way the Rams are restructuring this team Andre Smith is the prototypical OT needed to make this offense work.

Well HUb, he will go in the top 13. He won't slip past Washington.
    Yea that sounds about right.
    That right there should tell you he's got lots of talent.
    No one has argued otherwise.
    He had no issues while at Alabama except for that problem with the agent.
    Other than his weight, I don't know of any either.
    He only got beat by Florida last year
    Mayock's big concern was the UT game. He feels Ayers had his way with Smith that game.
    It's going to be really bad if the Rams take Justin Smith, who hasn't really run blocked much, and he doesn't pan out and here is Andre Smith who has run blocked his whole career at Alabama and shines for Washington and Clinton Portis.
    Yea, that would suck. Not as much as if the Rams pass on Jason (not Justin) Smith who goes on to shine with some other team, while we select Andre Smith who continues to show a lack of work ethic and never amounts to anything at the NFL level.
    The more I think about it, the way the Rams are restructuring this team Andre Smith is the prototypical OT needed to make this offense work.
    I'm not sure that an OT who twice shows up unprepared for the biggest job interview of his life is what the Rams need at this point.

Ok, let me see if can put some topspin on this return......lol

I won't be surprised if all three of these OT are successful. However, it seems that there is always a Tony Mandarich in every draft so my fingers are being crossed that the Rams Front Office watches tape as thorough as you and Nick post a thread.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Andre Smith is great at accepting fault, but not very good at doing anything about it. I just don't understand how a guy with so much potential and so much at stake in his LIFE, can do things like skip out on the combine and not have himself prepared or in shape. He admitted all the things he had done wrong at the combine and then shows up at his Pro Day, only to lay another egg. Work ethic, drive, dedication, sacrifice and desire are the types of things you want to see from a top draft prospect and unfortunately, Smith hasn't really shown any of those. Too bad, because he's probably the most talented OT to come along in years.

You know, I have this sneaky feeling he's doing it on purpose. I think he may feel like he doesn't want to play for anyone in the top 5 and maybe he wants to play for Washington. That's the only explanation I can find. (Wow, as soon as I typed that I heard Karen Carpenter in my head and wanted to run for cover )

my fingers are being crossed that the Rams Front Office watches tape as thorough as you and Nick post a thread.
    I should certainly hope so.........they get paid good money; Nick and I do this for free.
    You know, I have this sneaky feeling he's doing it on purpose. I think he may feel like he doesn't want to play for anyone in the top 5 and maybe he wants to play for Washington.
    Hmm, yes. Prepare like crap, play for a lower drafting team, flush $20-30 million down the crapper. Very shrewd, indeed.

Is ti 20 or 20 million? Not sure it's that much.

Hey, I have NO IDEA what kids are thinking these days. When I was that age, I don't even think they had a combine......did they?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123