Rambos is online now Registered User

Another Trade Lands Schuening

Another Trade Lands Schuening
    Sunday, April 27, 2008

By Brett Grassmuck

Staff Writer

The Rams moved up into the fifth round to select Oregon State guard Roy Schuening, a player recommended by Oregon State alum Steven Jackson.

“Steven did give a pretty good endorsement for the kid as far as the guy,” Linehan said. “Steven knows what we’re looking for. It’s an organizational goal to get those kinds of guys in this program.”

Rams coach Scott Linehan also got a recommendation from his nephew, Josh Linehan, who is one of Schuening’s closest friends and a nephew of the Rams coach.

“I know a little bit about him, my nephew played with him through his career,” Linehan said. “That didn’t play into it at all. (Schuening) did it on his own, he played great football there.”

Schuening was originally projected as a second or third round pick, which is why Rams personnel man Billy Devaney said he was “sticking out like a sore thumb” on their draft board in round five.

“That’s why we thought ‘we better go get him, rather than stand pat and wait for the sixth round,’” Devaney said. “Once he went, then we’d really be throwing darts. He was the one guy that we thought was really a legitimate prospect at this point.”

He is a tough, physical blocker who played both guard and tackle in college and will add depth to the Rams offensive line. Linehan compared him to a couple former Rams that were mainstays on the offensive line.

“Adam Timmerman got here a different way,” Linehan said. “He made it via free agency, so you see what kind of a player he was. He just had the right stuff. Andy McCollum is another guy. By the time he got his chance, he took advantage of it and played in a couple Super Bowls and played very good football.”

Schuening started a school record 50 consecutive games for the Oregon State Beavers, registering 185 knockdowns and 18 touchdown-resulting blocks in his final two seasons. He was named an All-American as a senior and earned Academic All Pac-10 honors his final two years.

There’s something about the makeup of an offensive lineman that can play through whatever and start 50 starts in college and not miss a game,” Linehan said. “That’s hard to do, and he still has an excellent grade as far as physical. It’s not like he’s beat up. He’s in really good shape, and he’s coming out of a great program.”

Falconator Guest

Re: Another Trade Lands Schuening

Schuening was a GREAT pick for you guys......I loved him and wanted the Falcons to take him in the 4th round.....

Schuening will start in by 2nd year....if not this year.

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

Well I guess we don't need to pay scouts we have the Linehans nephew. Oh, but that didn't factor into it. And with the last pick is a f*#%** Vandal. Linehans alum.
    What a homer. While praying for a great season I hope this is Linehans last. Oh bye the way I'm a BSU alum. GO BRONCOS Maybe a little bit of a homer myself.

shower beers is offline Registered User

50 straight games...exactly what we need at the position right now.

happy about this pick.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I really hope that Devaney is making the draft picks. Linehan scares me with his comments. At least Steven Jackson backed this guy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

general counsel is offline Registered User

Does anyone honestly believe that linehan is going to advocate picking a guy just because his nephew likes him or because he went to the same school as linehan? This is just nuts. Linehan has more to lose than anyone if the picks dont work out, its his job.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Does anyone honestly believe that linehan is going to advocate picking a guy just because his nephew likes him or because he went to the same school as linehan? This is just nuts. Linehan has more to lose than anyone if the picks dont work out, its his job.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    well put GC, he has to much to lose if these picks don't work.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Yep Linehan has a lot to lose, but that does not make him more intelligent or even make his opinions more valuable when they are considering who to pick in the draft or even in free agency.

Do we know for certain, who is in charge of personnel decisions?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

This says he was ORIGINALLY projected as a 2-3rd rounder. Did he fall or did something happen to change that original projection? If the Rams got 2-3rd round talent in the 5th, I don't care how's nephews friend it is, thats a good pick!

keith m. klink Guest

I thought it was a fantastic pick , i don't think anyone will piss or moan about a draft day steal .
    And as for the 2 7th rounders , even if one of them came from LINNY's old school , they are both thought of as good prospects to make the team and contribute . Both are high carracter guy's with alot of on field productivity , so that whole ( drafting friends of friends or family members , a kid from yer' ole alma mater , or even your cousin vinnie who just got peroled for stealing hubcaps ) this is the coaches last chance , so he is either a total moron and has no concept of time and space or they are legitimate prospects . I go with prospects .

The Special One is offline Registered User

I love this pick more and more by the day.

I still don't quite get the Greco pick.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Great pick. Excellent depth.

Couldn't resist.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LeBulger View Post
    I still don't quite get the Greco pick.
    What don't you get? Greco is slated to eventually become our starting RT. If Barron somehow hangs on to his job, then Greco will start at one of the guard spots. He has played both the left and right sides of the line and he has the ability to play either as a RT or a OG. This kind of versatility and talent is just what the doctor ordered for the Rams. Do you have any other questions?

WHAT SAY YE?