Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Another twisted Draft scenario

Here is my twist to the Draft. We have a decent OL right now with Pace, Barron, Incognito, Bell, Romberg, Setterstrom, and Fry. If we would wait to add any more depth to the OL until after the 4th round we could fill many of the holes on the team. We need one DE to go with Ryan, Carriker, and Little and make a good DL. We need a CB with decent size and speed to help push for a starting job CB position. We need a safety that can push for a starting position this year and possibly replace Chavous next year. We also need a speedy WR to push for a starting spot and be a good #3 WR who can stretch the field.

Here is how I would fill the voids.

Round 1: DE - Chris Long 6'4 284

Round 2: Exchange our 2nd for a little lower 2nd and Exchange our 4th for for a low 3rd giving us two picks in the third.

Round 2: Take best available safety S - Josh Barrett 6'3 231, Tyrell Johnson 6'1 197, or Dajuan Morgan 6'1 200

Round 3 (pick1): WR - Andre Caldwell 6'1 198 4.37 speed

Round 3 (pick2): CB - Justin King 6'0 186 4.31 speed

This would help address our biggest needs IMO and in rounds 5-7 we could add a depth player or two for the OL. Next year would be the year I would draft a higher round OT. we have bigger needs this year IMO.

Offense
    OL - Pace, Bell, Romberg or Setterstrom, Incognito, Barron
    WR - Holt, Bennett, Andre Caldwell
    QB - Bulger
    RB - Jackson
    FB - Leonard
    TE - McMichael, Becht

Defense
    DL - Little, Ryan, Carriker, Chris Long
    LB - Draft, Witherspoon, Pisa
    CB - Brown, Hill, Justin King
    FS - Atogwe
    SS - Chavous, Josh Barrett

keith m. klink Guest

Re: Another twisted Draft scenario

Switch the BARRETT AND KING picks to 3rd rd and 2nd rd respectively and i see that as an A+ first 3 rd's . Kinda a dream draft . I have no problem with that at all and also think that we can find great value on all O-LINE positions from the 4th to 7th rd's .

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Josh Barrett, I really hope he's in the Rams uniform. He's a Sun Devil and I happen to be from Arizona. It'd be nice to see this happen.

You have noticed too that we have a pretty solid OL. My main concern, as everybody else's is if Pace goes down. And Pace is up there in age, I think this year is the year we find his replacement. Who knows, after this season, he may not come back.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

We still have no proven backup tackle. We have a host of backups with starting experience, but none would appear to make a transiton without a significant drop in play. If we're going to have a player come in and do that, I sure hope he's being groomed as a future starter.

I don't think secondary is a day one need. To double dip is blasphemous...even McShay

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

There are questions about Barron - and Pace has had season ending
    injuries how many times now?

Some would say OT is a priority. I have a feeling the team's offensive
    coaches would be among them.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

This safety class sucks, and I find it hard to believe that any of them will be value picks because they will be reached for before they get that far. Chavous hurts my brain with how bad he is at times, but we'll have to deal for one more year with him. next year's safety class should be good as juniors will look at this year's class and declare early. I say we grab one next year.

As for corner, we have our first four set. We don't need a day one or even a 3rd or 4th round pick on a corner. A late one with lots of upside maybe, but we have many other needs before we go after a corner.

I do like the trade down in the second, however, and think that if we're going to try it, that's where we should, as there should be a QB or two there who we can dangle to the highest bidder.

In order our worse starters are of the positions we are discussing are:
    SS - Chavous
    WR -Bennett/Looker
    CB - Hill/Brown
    RT - Barron
    LT - Pace

Not planned but, it just so happens my draft picks came up the same way as well SS, WR, CB.

I am concerned about Pace coming back healthy. Barron even with all his false starts has been adequate. If Pace or Barron went down we still have Incognito or Bell who could shift out to RT IMO and Setterstrom could replace them at guard. I know Steussie has yet to be resigned but he would be a good depth signing. IMO we can wait oen more year to address the rest of the OL. Setterstrom, Romberg, Incognito, and Barron all performed well two seasons ago and gave all of us hope for the OL entering last season before all the injuries hit them. This year if they all return healthy along with Pace and the big free agent signing of Bell then we should have a good OL. We can't prepare for disaster to hit our OL two years in a row while ignoring other areas of need. If we do we might wind up a mediocre team if we take a chance that our starters will return and fill other holes on team we have a higher ceiling IMO.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

We should definitely wait for next year and take a safety in round 1.

WalterFootball.com: 2009 Safety Rankings

Rambos is online now Registered User

Incognito or Bell who could shift out to RT IMO
    Not a chance that either one could play RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Actually, Jacob Bell started about a third of his games quite successfully in Tennessee as a right tackle before finging a home inside at guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos

uhm maybe you want to read up on a few Ram players before responding especially Bell and Incognito.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Actually, Jacob Bell started about a third of his games quite successfully in Tennessee as a right tackle before finging a home inside at guard.

Exactly you said what I was going to about Bell.

And as for Incognito he played LT a lot in college.
    This is all from Incognito’s College days where he spent the majority of his time at LT and earned all types of recognition. IMO he could switch to RT if injuries hit us and probably do quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska Football

Recognition at LT:
    • 2003 First-Team All-Big 12 (AP, Dallas Morning News)
    • 2003 Second-Team All-Big 12 (Coaches, FWST)
    • 2003 Outland Trophy Watch List
    • 2003 Lombardi Award Watch List
    • 2002 First-Team Freshman All-American (FWAA, The Sporting News, Rivals.com)
    • 2002 First-Team All-Big 12 (The Sporting News)
    • 2002 First-Team Freshman All-Big 12 (The Sporting News)
    • 2002 Second-Team All-Big 12 (Dallas Morning News)
    • 2002 Honorable-Mention All-Big 12 (AP, Coaches)
    2004 Outlook
    Richie Incognito enters his junior season with two outstanding years behind him and remains on track to add to Nebraska's tradition of award-winning offensive linemen. Incognito started his first two seasons at left tackle, but is expected to anchor the Husker offensive line at center in 2004. Incognito has great strength, mobility and footwork which has allowed him to be a standout at left tackle, both as a run blocker and in pass protection.
    Last season Incognito started all 13 games at left tackle and spearheaded an offensive line that powered the Huskers to a top-10 national rushing attack. Nebraska finished the season averaging 235.6 yards per game on the ground to rank seventh nationally.

2003 (Sophmore)
    Incognito provided a consistent force in an offensive line riddled with injuries throughout the year. The Glendale, Ariz., native was honored for his outstanding work with numerous postseason awards. He was a first-team All-Big 12 selection by the Associated Press and the Dallas Morning News and was a second-team all-league pick by the conference coaches and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

In 2002, Incognito got his Husker career off to a strong start. He was the first Husker freshman offensive lineman in school history to start in the season opener, and just the third rookie lineman to earn any start in his first year of competition, joining Rob Zatechka (1991) and Dominic Raiola (1998). He earned honorable-mention All-Big 12 accolades and was a first-team freshman All-American by the Football Writers, The Sporting News and Rivals.com.

He started all 13 games at the position and handled long snapping duties during the first part of 2003.
    Nebraska ranked second in the Big 12 Conference and seventh nationally in rushing offense at 235.6 yards per game. The Huskers rushed for more than 250 yards seven times in 2003, led by a season-high 337 yards on the ground in an 18-10 victory over Penn State.
    Incognito and his running mates on the Husker offensive line allowed Nebraska to control the time of possession battle throughout the year. The Huskers averaged nearly 32 minutes in time of possession behind their power running attack. Nebraska did not track pancakes during the 2003 season, but Incognito was regularly credited by Husker coaches who said his play was at a higher level than in 2002 when Incognito posted the second-highest pancake total in school history.

Nebraska controlled the ball for an average of more than 38 minutes in the first three games of the season behind a dominant rushing attack. In wins over Oklahoma State, Utah State and Penn State, the Huskers averaged 292.7 yards on the ground. Against the Nittany Lions, Nebraska had the ball for 39:45 and held its largest time of possession advantage in five seasons.

The Husker ground game picked up steam in a three-game mid-season stretch against Missouri, Texas A&M and Iowa State. Nebraska averaged nearly 290 yards rushing in those contests, led by 333 yards in a 48-12 victory over Texas A&M.

Nebraska powered its way to 290 yards rushing at Kansas. The Huskers wore down the Jayhawks in the second half, rushing for 173 yards after halftime. The Husker ground attack also controlled the game in a 31-22 win at Colorado. Nebraska controlled the football in a 17-3 win over Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl. The Huskers rushed for 229 yards in the game, including 138 by I-back Cory Ross on a school-record 37 carries.

2002 (Redshirt Freshman)
    Incognito played in all 14 games as Nebraska's top left tackle and started every game except Iowa State, when he sat out the first half. He was only the third Husker freshman offensive lineman to earn a start in their rookie season and the first to start a season opener.

Incognito finished his redshirt freshman campaign as Nebraska’s pancake leader with 171 knock-down blocks in the regular season, which was the second-highest total at Nebraska since the statistic has been tracked (1995). All-America guard Toniu Fonoti’s total of 201 pancakes in 2001 is the only season total to rank ahead of Incognito’s 2002 effort.

Incognito had nine double-figure pancake games, including three consecutive games with 20 or more. He posted 28 pancakes at Texas A&M, the second-most ever by a Husker, as the line set a school single-game record with 110 knockdowns. The unit paved the way for 381 rushing yards in Nebraska’s 38-31comeback victory. Incognito also topped 20 pancakes against Oklahoma State (21) and Texas (22).
    Incognito recorded double-figure pancake totals in each of Nebraska’s final six games and led the Huskers in pancakes eight times during the season. Nebraska finished the season fourth in rushing offense, averaging 268.7 yards per game. The Huskers topped 300 rushing yards five times in 2002, all in a six-game mid-season stretch (McNeese State to Kansas) when the NU offense averaged 346.8 yards on the ground.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I object to the premise here -- I don't think that we really know what we have on the offensive line outside of Pace (if healthy) and Barron, neither of whom blow anyone away. We've had less than one whole season of a healthy Setterstrom to evaluate, less than 1.5 seasons of a healthy Incognito, and not that much of a healthy Romberg. Sure, they all played great at the end of the season, two seasons ago. But, the schedule was weak and there is no reason to take those five games as sure-fire evidence of what we have going. Past that we clearly have need for a young tackle. By my count that leaves us with a lot of uncertainty at starting tackle, center, left guard, and first-tackle off the bench.

I also don't think I'd rank our "worst starters" the same way you would. I do something like this on defense:

RE
    SS
    SLB
    LCB

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I object to the premise here -- I don't think that we really know what we have on the offensive line outside of Pace (if healthy) and Barron, neither of whom blow anyone away. We've had less than one whole season of a healthy Setterstrom to evaluate, less than 1.5 seasons of a healthy Incognito, and not that much of a healthy Romberg. Sure, they all played great at the end of the season, two seasons ago. But, the schedule was weak and there is no reason to take those five games as sure-fire evidence of what we have going. Past that we clearly have need for a young tackle. By my count that leaves us with a lot of uncertainty at starting tackle, center, left guard, and first-tackle off the bench.

I also don't think I'd rank our "worst starters" the same way you would. I do something like this on defense:

RE
    SS
    SLB
    LCB
    If you look at how my defensive ranking would compare to yours for worst starters its almost identical. I left RE out because no one was disagreeing with me selecting Chris Long. What was debateable was the other positons.
    My defensive worst starters are:
    RE
    SS
    CB

That is almost identical to yours with the exception of SLB which I think would be after CB because Draft has always proven to be a good LB with consistently high tackle rates when given the opertunity. Is he the long term answer no but he provides more stability there then we have at CB IMO.

I believe Incognito has proven when healthy he can hold down a guard spot. I can't imagine anyone in the second round and beyond that you could honestly say would be better then Incognito at guard. Bell at the other guard spot has proven to be a good starter and we signed him to a big contract. Some people may get frustrated with some of Barrons penaltys but he don't get beat to often. If you remember what life was like before Barron at RT. At Center Romberg has played well there in nearly every game we have seen him in. We also have Setterstrom and Fry who we recently drafted pushing for the starting position. Again I can't imagine to many Centers you would draft in round 2 our later that would upgrade our Center position that much. We cant count Pace out before the season starts he should be healthy and if so no one we draft in rounds 2 and beyond will replace a healthy Pace. If Pace and Barron are healthy all year and we draft a OT we will have a guy who sets and watches the games all year behind them. If Pace or Barron where to go down we could move Bell to RT and put Setterstrom or Steussie (if resigned) at LG. I would rather resign Steussie as a depth guy and fill bigger needs. If all goes well he won't even play.

Next year I would consider drafting as many as two OL in the first four rounds with us having filled several of our other holes this year. Or we might decide to pick up another through Free Agency next year. The only aging OL we have is Pace. I would look for a younger OT next year and if we felt another position needed upgrade I would do it then.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-19-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    If you look at how my defensive ranking would compare to yours for worst starters its almost identical. I left RE out because no one was disagreeing with me selecting Chris Long. What was debateable was the other positons.
    My defensive worst starters are:
    RE
    SS
    CB
    Firstly, I get the feeling that Devaney and co. really like Culberson, and that he's, at the moment, the player we'll probably take a gamble on next season as a starter. If not, we always have Chris Draft.

Also- you mention the "worst" starters. And I have to wonder, is the play of the corners and safeties conducive to the play of the defensive line? Consider this. With no pressure on the QB, the QB has all day to pick targets. When the QB is rushed, the corners don't have to cover for as long, reducing the chance that a reciever becomes free. I think as far as corners go, you could be killing two birds with one stone by selecting a great pass rusher at the top of the draft.

Safety, sure, is a concern with the play of Chavous, but I think it's an issue you can wait until next year to attempt to resolve, unless Kenny Phillips so happens to fall into round two.

Next year I would consider drafting as many as two OL in the first four rounds with us having filled several of our other holes this year. Or we might decide to pick up another through Free Agency next year. The only aging OL we have is Pace. I would look for a younger OT next year and if we felt another position needed upgrade I would do it then.
    Here I don't particularly agree. I think it makes more sense to grab a lineman this year. I can't see how not having depth at that position is a good thing. Last season proved that. I think if Jake Long does not go first overall, he'll be suiting up in blue and gold next season.

However, I do agree with the concept that we will need to draft a lineman early next year, too. I mean, there's the obvious issue of Pace's pending retirement, but unless Barron absolutely tears it up, I can't say he's a certainty to stick around when his contract expires, either. So theoretically, we could be looking for two new starters within the next two to three years. If we don't find a capable replacement for Pac this offseason, that will remain a giant priority next season, and unless Barron suddenly realises that there actually aren't anny hidden catches when his coaches ask him to count to three and then smack the guy in front of him, it could be a 2010 priority aswell.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    I believe Incognito has proven when healthy he can hold down a guard spot. I can't imagine anyone in the second round and beyond that you could honestly say would be better then Incognito at guard.
    The key words here, from my perspective , is that you "believe" and "can't imagine." In other words, we don't know what we have in Incognito. At a minimum, I'm not sure you can count on the guy to be on the field...he's been hurt more than he's been healthy since being drafted.

If you remember what life was like before Barron at RT.
    I remember some guy named Tucker playing OK there. And I disagree with your assessment of Alex too. Yeah, he doesn't get killed in the passing game but he doesn't dominate in the run game and his penalties are more often than not drive killers. Is he passable? Yes. But, passable isn't enough in my book unless you're sure of what you have elsewhere on the line. I, for one, am not.

At Center Romberg has played well there in nearly every game we have seen him in. We also have Setterstrom and Fry who we recently drafted pushing for the starting position. Again I can't imagine to many Centers you would draft in round 2 our later that would upgrade our Center position that much.
    Again, we haven't seen enough of Romberg to really evaluate him. We know he bounced around the league for a few years as not good enough to nail down a spot and that he played well in a handful of games two seasons ago. He was OK this last year until he got hurt. Setterstrom may be fine, but he's never played center and Fry could barely get playing time last year when our line was beat up. None of this adds up to "solid" and "without question" to me.

We cant count Pace out before the season starts he should be healthy and if so no one we draft in rounds 2 and beyond will replace a healthy Pace.
    We also can't count him in given the last two years. Again, there is lots of uncertainty here. Plus, we need competition for Barron to see if we can get more out of him AND we wouldn't be drafting just for this one season. If we get someone who is great out of the box, then great...but we've neglected the OL for too many years and you build it by constantly grabbing talent and creating competition, in my opinion.

Just my $.02.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast