Herron63 is offline Registered User

Another way to go (Just a thought)

Anyone considered trading down in the first round and get more picks in the second or third round. I know its kinda early to be thinking about draft trades, but one thing I keep reading on here is that we have several needs still left to fill with free agency and the draft. My thought would be to pick up a proven veteran receiver in free agency, trade down in the first round and pick up a guy like pouncey from florida to fill the guard hole. Then with maybe two picks in the second fill needs at safety and maybe dt. Just a thought. Wondering what you guys think. I like Green, Jones, and Blackmon (especially Jones because of his physical presence as a blocker seems like a good fit) but we have a lot of young receivers already that need to learn from a veteran presence. What do you think?

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Another way to go (Just a thought)

I'm sure the Rams will explore that option on trade day, but at #14 it is hard to find someone willing to move up until, well, about the 14th pick, as they aren't going to risk trading picks to get a guy who is then gone before they pick.

It's a sound strategy, it's just one that is hard to flesh out until draft day actually arrives. At 14, maybe there is no one on the board that any team feels strongly enough about to move up, maybe there is, who knows.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Trading down is always a preferential option. I think that would be a fine route to take if all of the premium receivers are gone. The problem, as far as the Rams are concerned, would be finding somebody who wanted to trade UP. Admittedly, it's much more likely to happen this year than it was in the last three drafts, but we're still going to need to find a team who has fallen in love with a player available at pick fourteen. I doubt that that materialises until draft day, but please don't hold your breath until April.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Berg makes a good point that untill the 12th-ish pick no one will really be interested in the 14th pick.

That said, I would certainly be in favor of trading down.
    We are not going to get sidney rice, v-jax etc.

But:
    Lets say we trade 14th to around 25th and gain a 3rd.

rd 1- Pouncey (stud RG)
    rd 2 - Outside LB
    rd 3 - Saftey
    rd 3- Backup RB

WR Corps Next Year:

Clayton
    Avery
    Alexander
    Amendola
    Gibson

+ Huge increase in our inside run game with pouncey (who paired with saffold, and smith, will be 3 stud starters for bradford for next 10 years)

+can use rd 2 and rd 3 to draft for defense
    + would still allow us to get a young backup for Sjax.

Heck the more I think about it, the more i love the idea.
    We dont add a big impact WR, however getting back Clayton and D.AV will do us wonders IMO, along with Alexander now in his 2nd year.

Effectivly, Amendola would go from our #1 to our #4 without us using a draft pick.

LARAM is offline Registered User

If we picked up another 2nd or 3rd round pick....I like Robert Sands S from West Virginia. 6'5 220lbs solid tackler....Jeez I really like this guy
    Last edited by LARAM; -01-09-2011 at 06:41 AM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Only way I trade down is if it is a great deal and the Big 3 are gone. Honestly, people are too caught up with silliness. Alec for example, what makes you think getting Avery back will do wonders? Don't get me wrong, i'd love to have him, but what has he seriously shown you that he will randomly go all out next season. Clayton was good, but he will never be a #1. I can't believe the fact that people want to shy away from our biggest need and probably the reason we lost 3-4 games that we had JUST BECAUSE OF A 3rd ROUND PICK? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Sit at 14 Devaney, take Jones. Thats that.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

A trade down to the mid 20's would be more worth their 2nd round pick, not their 3rd round pick, just fyi.

More than that though, you can't start now and say that our strategy is to trade down. It takes two to tango, and you need to show interest in people at your slot so that you can get the most value for your pick when you trade it. You need to do your scouting and planning and actually have someone you want to draft at that position.

This isn't Madden, and you can't just make trades whenever you want with whomever you want. And so, yes, we absolutely want to consider trading our 1st round pick, because it'll give us more picks, or a player and a pick, or whatever, however, we need to determine who we are going to target at 14.
    I believe!

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Alec22 View Post
    WR Corps Next Year:

Clayton
    Avery
    Alexander
    Amendola
    Gibson

I can't stomach thinking of that as our WR corps next year. We need a true number 1, I see a lot of 2's and 3's on that list.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

It comes down to would you rather have:

Julio Jones

or

M. Pouncey
    and
    2nd Saftey

(just one example obv.)

I think i would rather have #2, but it is close.

Donnie Avery showed me in weeks 5 and 6 vs wash and Dallas that he can be an NFL starter.

Mark Clayton showed me in weeks 1-4 that he can be a starter for us.

DX showed me that in another year he could develop into a very good WR

DA showed me as our #1 this year that he certainly could be our #4 next year

I want a stud WR just like everyone else, but we're not going to sign a sidney rice, or v-jax. Aj green is not coming to us.

Maybe? blackmon can fall to us, in which case I think it becomes a much closer call.

Julio is good, but I would rather have scenario #2 if he is the only WR left.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Are the Rams going to select a lineman in round 1 2 out of 3 years with one of the years selecting a lineman in round 2? I don't think so. Unless we cut Bell and even then I dont see the Rams drafting another lineman so early. Trade down and maybe there is a good LB still available, Kyle Rudolph, or d-lineman