general counsel is offline Registered User

antonio bryant released

bengals released antonio bryant, who is still recovering from a knee injury and never played a game for them. They remain on the hook for the 8 million guaranteed money.

Anyone interested? I am not sure if he actually helps, especially with the knee situation as i dont think of him as a stretch the field guy, but i would LOVE to hear what the clan thinks.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: antonio bryant released

I'm not too sure we go after him. I mean he was good when he was healthy, but the guy was released for a reason and I do not think we should sign him.

Maybe we should if we checkout and his knee looks fine....but clearly it isn't right now.

wryangst is offline Registered User

I'm still hoping for Vincent Jackson to somehow wind up here. It's easier when it's someone else's checkbook, but hope Kroenke uses those deep pockets to get Sam some help Sooner than later!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

We still have enough bodies at wr - Bryant can't help right away due to knee issues, so if we've got to wait for that, my inclination is to say no. I'd rather wait on Denario's knee. If DeSpags really want a veteran receiver to mentor our young guys, Laveranues Coles is available, although a bit long in the tooth, at least he's healthy .. (I think) ...

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    We still have enough bodies at wr - Bryant can't help right away due to knee issues, so if we've got to wait for that, my inclination is to say no. I'd rather wait on Denario's knee. If DeSpags really want a veteran receiver to mentor our young guys, Laveranues Coles is available, although a bit long in the tooth, at least he's healthy .. (I think) ...
    Well L. Coles won't be available until after week 4, he's on the Jets roster, and looks to be insurance until Santonio Holmes comes back from suspension. Not sure we will want to pick him up almost half way thru the seaon.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Well L. Coles won't be available until after week 4, he's on the Jets roster, and looks to be insurance until Santonio Holmes comes back from suspension. Not sure we will want to pick him up almost half way thru the seaon.
    Laverneus was released today.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Coles is 32. I cant see how he is going to help replace our deep threat/speed guy, but it is correct to say that he was released today.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Laverneus was released today.
    Sup sosa, when I checked today he was still on the team, they released him after I posted earlier, but "sexy rexy" states that the team wants to resign him after week 1 (the team will save alot of money by not having him on the opening day roster), but Coles has already stated that he does not want to be a "journeyman" and seems to be leaning towards retirement.

But I am not sure he fits the #1 reciever we want/need, unless we are just looking for a "body" to fill Donnie's shoes.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Health information regarding Antonio Bryant from Peter King...

One NFL medical person -- don't want to be too specific -- told me Sunday that the injury that is apparently plaguing fired Cincinnati wideout Antonio Bryant could be Chondral Defect of the knee. "If you're not looking for it, you won't find it,'' this official said. "It's a long-term knee problem that won't go away.'' The ailment refers to a complicated cartilage injury to the knee. Whether that's the exact injury plaguing Bryant or not, it's incredible that a team investigating a free-agent wide receiver who missed most of 2009 with a knee problem would have passed him on the physical this year, handed him a four-year, $28 million contract, and then watched as he practiced one time all summer in training camp before cutting him Sunday.

I'm stunned the Bengals passed Bryant on his physical, then handed him $7.85 million in guarantees. Stunned. Whether the Bengals have good players in reserve at wide receiver -- they do -- is not the point. Wasting millions on a player clearly not ready to play is.

In the past two years, the Bengals have signed two veteran receivers to deals averaging $7 million a year. Laveranues Coles gave them a year. Antonio Bryant didn't make it out of his first August with the team. Good thing they've got the draft, because Jermaine Gresham (first round) should be an impact tight end for them and Jordan Shipley (third round) is set to be a solid slot guy. And they got Terrell Owens cheap. He'll probably start alongside Chad Ochocinco. I just can't figure out why they blew it two years in a row on receivers no other teams were very interested in.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

shower beers is offline Registered User

1,000 times no! I knew this thread was going to pop up...