Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Any ideas on finding a free agent running back to assume the #2 spot behind Jackson?

Seems as if there are alot of ifs about a legit #2 running back to take over should Jackson get dinged .. Does anyone know the status of Deuce McCallister? Last I heard, he was going to work out for several teams prior to the draft .. Haven't heard if that workout ever took place or not. Deuce had surgery on both knees, and supposedly he wants to play this year. There are no doubt some other FA running backs worthy of consideration. Anyone have a candidate in mind? Thoughts??

Jim Thomas gave his opinion on the Rams backup rb situation in his latest chat:

Rich: Good morning Jim,

Overall the Rams did an excellent job filling a number of holes in the roster this past weekend including OT, MLB, and DT.

However, one area that in my opinion is still a large hole is back up RB. I am not convinced Pittman is that guy given his injury history.

Do you see the Rams potentially pursuing a veteran RB?

Thanks for these chats.
    Jim Thomas: I agree with you that the No. 2 RB position still looks questionable.
    Right now, the candidates are Brian Leonard (shoulder issues past 2 years); Pittman (plays with lots of heart, but not very good on blitz pickup or pass catching, and gets nicked up); Samkon Gado (cup of coffee with the team last year); Kenneth Darby (ideal No. 3, willing blocker, good pass catcher, but not an ideal No. 2 because he doesn't have that extra gear of speed that you'd like for someone his size); and the rookie from Texas, Chris Ogbonnayo

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Any ideas on finding a free agent running back to assume the #2 spot behind Jacks

Chris O is a typical third down back. So is Darby and Pittman. The Rams don't have a #2 back on the roster right now. Edgerrin James would be a good #2 but I'm not sure what he would want in compensation.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Re: Any ideas on finding a free agent running back to assume the #2 spot behind Jacks

Maybe selvin young?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

It's going to be Brian Leonard. In 2007 he did a decent job behind an absolutely horrible offensive line. The Rams will give him another shot.

The Rams don't have cap space to sign a significant player at this point because they have other pressing issues.

dvbear55 is offline Registered User

I really think we will be fine without a veteran runningback behind Jackson. On the other hand, and veteran wide receiver would fit nicely on the rams roster.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Selvin Young has been released by the Broncos... Seems they can't stop making bad decisions.

This is the first back mentioned this offseason that I'd actually want to make a play for.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dvbear55 View Post
    I really think we will be fine without a veteran runningback behind Jackson. On the other hand, and veteran wide receiver would fit nicely on the rams roster.
    The Rams have clearly made a decision to be a run-first team. As a result, they really need to have better depth at the RB position than they currently have on the roster. Plus, a veteran wide receiver is going to cost more and touch the ball about as much as a back-up running back in a run-first offense anyway (OK, that's an exaggeration). Finally, if Jackson gets hurt we currently have no offense. I read this all as...we need a better back-up.

Bring on Selvin Young. He can be had relatively cheap, is better than anyone currently only the roster, and is still pretty young.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    It's going to be Brian Leonard. In 2007 he did a decent job behind an absolutely horrible offensive line. The Rams will give him another shot.

The Rams don't have cap space to sign a significant player at this point because they have other pressing issues.
    I don't doubt Brian will be given a chance to contribute this year, but the possibility exists that our current coaching staff may not view him as a bonafide #2 back, particularly given his history of shoulder injuries. Were Steven to go down for a significant period of time, one wonders if Brian could take the pounding. I like Leonard and hope he finally has a good year .. However, I have a hard time envisioning him as a guy who can handle 25 to 30 carries a game for a long stretch of consecutive games. We'll see what happens down the road. At this point I have hard time imagining that Spags is content to stand pat with the backup rbs currently on our roster. It's a bummer that Shonn Greene got snatched just before our turn as I believe we would have selected him .. I won't go so far as to say Greene will be the next Emmit Smith, but there are similarities ...

jmk321 is offline Registered User

If the o-line plays well thats a good backup RB in itself. Deuce McCallister is a shell of his former self and I don't think Edgerrin James would like to be a backup RB on a team that was 2-14 last year. Darby looked really good in the last couple of games last year and could be a decent # 2 back but I don't think any of the RB's on the roster could take the starting role if Jackson gets injured again.

A-Web is offline Registered User

I honestly, unlike everyone else apparantly, believe that Antonio Pittman will provide some more quality at the RB than you anticipate.

This is his approaching contract year, and he is hitting the market next season. As a running back, that means it's showtime. He will actually probably ask for more carries, because he doesn't want to be jobless in 2010. I expect him to have been putting in alot of work this offseason, and to be running with a purpose in 2009.

He was a decent workhorse at OSU, and was the running back that went to the National Championship and won it with them. I think that he is all we could need, as long as he shows up with motivation and purpose.

And I'm 95% sure that's going to happen.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post
    I honestly, unlike everyone else apparantly, believe that Antonio Pittman will provide some more quality at the RB than you anticipate.

This is his approaching contract year, and he is hitting the market next season. As a running back, that means it's showtime. He will actually probably ask for more carries, because he doesn't want to be jobless in 2010. I expect him to have been putting in alot of work this offseason, and to be running with a purpose in 2009.

He was a decent workhorse at OSU, and was the running back that went to the National Championship and won it with them. I think that he is all we could need, as long as he shows up with motivation and purpose.

And I'm 95% sure that's going to happen.

That sounds like a very possible outcome.. And I say Awesome if he does, but I don't know if he was already considered as a high heart character if being more focused will help.. He sounded pretty focused already, but I think if he can stay healthy yur 95% sounds sound

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    The Rams have clearly made a decision to be a run-first team. As a result, they really need to have better depth at the RB position than they currently have on the roster. Plus, a veteran wide receiver is going to cost more and touch the ball about as much as a back-up running back in a run-first offense anyway (OK, that's an exaggeration). Finally, if Jackson gets hurt we currently have no offense. I read this all as...we need a better back-up.

Bring on Selvin Young. He can be had relatively cheap, is better than anyone currently only the roster, and is still pretty young.
    Agreed if SJ gets hurt we are done no offense it's look like a # 2 back should have been high on the list.
    :ramlogo:

One thing to bear in mind, is that Billy D and Spags no doubt have their fingers on the pulses of the other 31 teams in the league with an eye toward who will become available on cut down dates. We will likely sign a veteran rb as the regular season approaches. It would be interesting to know which type of back Spags would prefer to back up SJ though. A change of pace speedy guy, or a downhill smasher? .. I guess we'll have to wait a bit to find out ...

Looks like Selvin is out of the picture .....

Selvin Young-RB- Broncos May. 5 - 1:32 pm et

Free agent Selvin Young recently opted against back surgery (herniated disc) that might have made him available to teams by June.

Young is out until September and will need time after that to get in football shape. Don't expect to see him resurface until during the season, at best.
    Source: Denver Post

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

It's one thing to have a back-up that can fill in here and there. Basically give Jackson a short rest. It's another to have a guy that can start if Jackson misses a game or two. I thought Brian Leonard filled that role but as we all know he's gone to the Bengals.

Unfortunately history shows that Jackson has a tough time staying healthy for all 16 games. We need a #2 RB, the sooner the better.

GO RAMS!!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'd keep an eye on the Raiders. They have three quality running backs on their roster (Darren McFadden, Justin Fargas, Michael Bush). Perhaps one of them might become available (obviously, it would be Fargas or Bush, not McFadden). I'd give up a 4th round choice for one of those two guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast