Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    itsguud is offline Registered User

Anybody Else Worried?

Basically, I'm just wondering if anybody else on here is as worried as me that the Rams are going to make sub-par pick-ups, after everyone good is picked over? I am extremely frustrated this week, as I just had to watch my leafs (for the 2nd year in a row) give up on the season by not picking anybody up. (Although hopefully this will ensure that John Fergusson Jr. is isn't brought back next season, the son of a ... oops off topic). If any of you follow hockey you will know that like the Rams the Leafs have always held an explosive offense with little D-fense. D in most any sport is usually the harder point of the game to establish. I don't see that as an excuse to give up however.

So as it is right now I am absolutely pissed with the Leafs, and our Rams are slowly but surely travelling down the exact same road as the leafs. I don't know if you guys can see it, but for me, having watched it happen 2 years in a row with the leafs I see the Rams doing the exact same thing. I noticed the Rams haven't been big players in FA visits yet and this scares me even more/ PISSES me off. Anybody else feel this way? (although I have noticed you all seem a little, X that-a lot more, optimistic then me.):waiting:

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Anybody Else Worried?

dont be worried, just because you havent heard about FA visits doesnt mean they arent happening

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Remember, the free agency game is more than just a matter of who signs the biggest name players. In fact, this is my order of preference for the Rams:

1. Sign young, up and coming, players for reasonable prices.
    2. Don't sign anyone.
    3. Overpay for a big name on the downside of his career.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Basically, I'm just wondering if anybody else on here is as worried as me that the Rams are going to make sub-par pick-ups, after everyone good is picked over?
    How can you say the Rams are going to make sub-par pick ups,when we haven't signed anybody yet?Are you some kind of psychic? lol.Of course we have signed some poor players in recent years through FA(Claiborne,Sehorn,ETC) but you can't compare yesteryears mistake's to the present time until we actually do sign a poor player.As for all the good players being signed,there aren't many big name guy's around but there certainly are players who could certainly contribute and up-grade our team effectively..:l

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

It might not pay dividence as much this year but, in years to come if we keep the new huge ca controlled this could mean a chance to sign monsters when other teams are out of money, I want us to win the superbowl every year, but thinking for just the next season with a franchise is foolish and has cost teams in long run much more than the bandaid fix of a a two year athlete that draws more money than an up and comer who will perform for 5 or 6

Country is offline Registered User

I am worried that they might over pay than make bad pick ups. The market is shaping up to be ridiclously expensive.

1. Stay Young
    2. Adress major needs.

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiger737 View Post
    It might not pay dividence as much this year but, in years to come if we keep the new huge ca controlled this could mean a chance to sign monsters when other teams are out of money, I want us to win the superbowl every year, but thinking for just the next season with a franchise is foolish and has cost teams in long run much more than the bandaid fix of a a two year athlete that draws more money than an up and comer who will perform for 5 or 6
    Tiger, you make an interesting point, be thrifty this year, go for the home run next year when everybody else is pushing the cap max. However i'm sure many other teams will look at the situation the same way.

Anybody know some of the possibilities for the 2008 FA season?
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Wow, normally our first "worried about the Rams" post comes right before pre-season.

This has to be some kind of record.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Wow, normally our first "worried about the Rams" post comes right before pre-season.

This has to be some kind of record.

You guys have to understand, I'm not having much luck with the pro tems I cheer for. They are all in a downward spiral, and all have been for a couple of years. I just want one of my teams to start showing an upside for once.

keith m. klink Guest

i just mentioned on another thread that 2 years ago our pass defense was one of the worst if not the worst in the league and now we are at #8 or something like that. if you remember linehan expressing that he will build this team with young talent and the best players available through the DRAFT, and add veterans of high quality through FA for (have to have positions ). i for one am not scared about the team or direction. last year i thought we had a great draft, and i was very pleased with it. as the season went on we found we needed better run support, this year we will get it, just as last year we needed to fix our defensive backfield , and we did. i wouldn't worry to much about spending big money on nobodies, espn reported that all the big names are going to denver , seatle, cleveland, and S.F. , and i say good , let them payout all their cash, we will get someone to help our team, not a savior. because we don't need one, we will get our new talent from the draft and use FA to do what it is meant to do , fill a gap. so don't sweat it .

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Do we really need to rush out and spend, spend, spend? There are a few "name' players out there who probably could help us but not at the prices they will be asking. It is a players market right now -- not a buyers. I like Av's three rules which basically add up to one thing: use common sense!
    Just because we have ample wriggle room under the cap, we don't need to rush out and sign name players that in a year or two or three will no longer be on the team and therefore become dead money. If the Rams braintrust feel that obtaining a certain player is imperative -- why not trade? A trade would allow us to target a proven younger player worthy of his salary and the draft pick necessary to land him. I personally am not greatly enamored of any of the defensive players who are currently free agents. That's not saying they stink, but it is likely they will be way overpaid, and I am hoping it won't be the Rams doing it.

This is the time of year that newly acquired Tony Softli should be earning his money. The draft appears deep at what I consider our two biggest needs, DE and DT. There is great focus on whom teams select in Rd #1, but often the most productive selections come in later rounds. This year should be one of our better drafts and I believe it will. So no ..... I am not worried ...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Honestly, I'm not really that worried that we'll make bad choices. If anything, I'm a little concerned that what we need simply isn't available in the free agent pool right now. In which case, if we don't do much, that might be the correct course.

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Anybody Else Worried?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Honestly, I'm not really that worried that we'll make bad choices. If anything, I'm a little concerned that what we need simply isn't available in the free agent pool right now. In which case, if we don't do much, that might be the correct course.
    Wow! Goldenfleece your point is one of the most valid I have read concerning FA's. I agree with you 100%-all the players available are part time/role players NOT starters. They can improve Special Teams and provide depth to our team,but we need to look at the draft as our main option to improve our Defense. That way we save our money for real "star" players that deserve BIG paydays!:l

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    You guys have to understand, I'm not having much luck with the pro tems I cheer for. They are all in a downward spiral, and all have been for a couple of years. I just want one of my teams to start showing an upside for once.
    May I suggest the purchase of an Matt Hasslebeck jersey?

No seriously, I know what you mean. In just the past few years, I've carried water for some guys who haven't exactly panned out (Kennedy, Claiborne, Turley, Manu), I feel your pain.

However, can anyone name me a Super Bowl champion who was led there by a big splash in the previous off-season? I can name a few who had a solid veteran corp and rising rookies, but I can't think of any who did it through big name FAs.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

j-train39 is offline Registered User

First of all, you are comparing hockey to football. That is your #1 mistake and has no relevance with the subject of Rams FA moves. Secondly, the Leafs suck. The Rams have every reason to shop cautiously. It's all about getting the best bang for your buck and that's what you will see happen, the Rams organization investing in young up and coming players.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast