View Poll Results: Most important thing for the Rams this off-season?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Re-Sign players (Bartell, Atogwe)

18 52.94%
  • Have a splash in Free Agency

3 8.82%
  • Pick spectacular players in the draft

10 29.41%
  • Get a coaching scheme ready before traing camp

3 8.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    djdeeznutz Guest

Is anyone else confused about the Rams 2nd pick?

Before the 2008 season started i wanted Micheal Oher.

Then around December i wanted Andre Smith.

Then in early-mid January i wanted Eugene Monroe.

From Mid January to now i wanted Micheal Crabtree i was defending him every step of the way.

Now i just read Bald's mock draft and now i want Eugene Monroe again.

Is anyone else this confused on who they want the Rams to take?

Anyway what do you think is the most important thing for the Rams this off-season?

Re-sign players (Bartell, Atogwe, Adeanju (sp))

Have a Free Agency Splash

Get great players in the draft

Get our coaching schemes ready for training camp

KappaSig is offline Registered User

Re: Is anyone else confused about the Rams 2nd pick?

I voted re-sign players.
    I don't think its possible to rebuild a team if you don't keep your talented players.
    Atogwe is definitely a gamechanger and has grown a lot with our organization. I believe in all four picks, but I think according to importance it goes,
    1)Re-Sign players
    2)Get Great Players in the draft
    3)Have a free agency splash (a smart splash though, not the kind where you overpay and hurt your team for it)
    4)Get our coaching schemes ready for training camp (Im not to worried about it, I got faith in Spags getting the job done)

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post

From Mid January to now i wanted Micheal Crabtree i was defending him every step of the way.

Anyway what do you think is the most important thing for the Rams this off-season?

You cannot be serious. After all the posts you made defending Crabtree....now you're a MONROE GUY!!

And to your poll, yes, kind of.

Early in the season, I was set on Oher or Maualauga. Then it became mostly Smith and Maualauga. Then Smith and Curry. Then Curry. Then Curry and Raji. Then Raji, Smith and Oher. Then Curry and Oher. Then Curry and Monroe. And so it has stayed with Curry and Monroe so far.

It's hard to stick with one person before the combine, because the combine decides a lot of factors.

Smoothpace is offline Registered User

Crabtree all the way! I don't see any strong ot's.. if not him then Grab the MLB from USC and let weatherspoon back in his old spot..

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Keep in mind that good players are those that are good on the field and not just good at putting up good numbers at a combine event. The most important thing is how they were scouted actually playing the game against their toughest opponents. Unless we actually watched them play its tough to know just how good they really are. Thats what makes it tough to pick a mock draft, your depending on scouting reports for your information. I suppose thats why they interview players their interested in to try and get to know the man under the helmet. I think a lot of top prospects miss it at this point. Theyre athletic but maybe not that motivated or dedicated enough to excel.

KappaSig is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by diehard99 View Post
    Keep in mind that good players are those that are good on the field and not just good at putting up good numbers at a combine event. The most important thing is how they were scouted actually playing the game against their toughest opponents. Unless we actually watched them play its tough to know just how good they really are. Thats what makes it tough to pick a mock draft, your depending on scouting reports for your information. I suppose thats why they interview players their interested in to try and get to know the man under the helmet. I think a lot of top prospects miss it at this point. Theyre athletic but maybe not that motivated or dedicated enough to excel.
    I agree, every year there are some players that just fly up the draft board after combine numbers. Some turn out busts. All of these players have tremendous talent or they wouldn't be playing college football, but lets face it some are better than the others for one main reason, they want it more. There are some that show great skills and practice great, but cannot translate it on the field. For some, the big stage is just too big. I do tend to be a little bias when it comes to who I want the rams to draft because I always lean toward the guy who was the gamechanger on his team, the one that stood out on college stage. But even for some of them, the next step is too big.

MarshallMarshall Guest

Quickest flip in history. What happened to Crabtree? You almost had me sold on him. Now your selling Monroe! I'll stick with what I've always said, Pick the best Defensive player available. Adress OL in round 2 and FA if we have to. Unless we pick up a huge defensive in FA. Then we should go best OL available @ 2 overall

Chase the Eagles Fan is offline Registered User

I think you guys should go tackle...but that's just me...I don't anybody will really know until maybe a day or so before the draft...normally the first pick will have their guy signed to a contract before the draft and then the second overall pick isn't quite so secretive about who they are going to pick because it's secured...

But I think these are the things that we have to consider to kinda put it into perspective.

1. Every position is possible. Except for kicker, punter, fullback, safety and tight end...every position is a possibility here. New coaching staff, a new scheme offensively and defensively and a new culture nobody is safe. Just because offensive tackle might be you biggest need doesn't meant that's going to be the targeted position per say. A player that has played well for you guys for years just might not be in the future plans of the new staff...they're the only ones that truly know who has a future in the new schemes and who doesn't. They know it's going to be a long haul to get this roster where they want it personnel-wise, they're not going to press themselves into a huge contract with a player they're not 100% sold on just because he plays a position of need...

2. It's going to be a player that the coaching staff is in love with. On the tape and in the interview room. The guy you select will be a guy that everyone in the War Room will be excited about. Unfortunately, there is no way for the public to really know who that is because so much of this pick will be based off what's NOT on the game tape...this is a huge investment for your football team. A misfire here and it sets you back 5 years. You guys could be in DIRE need for a player at a position and if there isn't anybody that this staff likes in every way, they're not going to pull the trigger. It will be a pick that every one in that room will feel comfortable with. No doubt. A model citizen...a good kid...

3. The player selected will be the prototype for a player at his position in the scheme you guys are using. Size, speed and skill set...

Weddle is offline Registered User

I'm also shifting opinion quite a lot on what the Rams should do.

I still think OT and MLB are what we really need, and would favour a great tackle, or elite MLB over Crabtree, but after doing some research into the guy, he does sound impressive. I'm just worried that WR at 1.2 with speed issues isn't a 'safe' enough bet. I'm sure Spags & Devaney are on top of it though!!
    Last edited by Nick; -02-06-2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: no links

Weddle is offline Registered User

Doh! repeat post... erm, think of something else to write...

If Aaron Curry can play MLB then he might be the guy we should take. Someone who can patrol the middle and stop opposition RBs turning a small hole into a big gain is something we really need. I just don't know if 1.2 is a good place to take a OLB that 'projects' to be a MLB!
    Last edited by Weddle; -02-06-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: repeat post!

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Keeping Otogwe and Bartell are first and foremost on my list.

Having a great draft would be second. As far as the confusion on who or whom to draft? My ankles are killing me from jumping on and off so many individual players bandwagons. So I've come to the conclusion like I do every year. Wait for Mike Mayock...he is the man with the answers in my opinion.
    Whatever Mike says is what I'm going with. It's a lot easier that way.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

You don't end up confused if you don't try to narrow it down to one guy in January-February.

At this point in the process, there's no point in not keeping your mind open to a number of different possibilities. As the draft nears, then you can start narrowing your focus.

Until then, yes, you're going to get confused if you try to lock in your choice three months before the pick is made.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

As of this moment, clearly its signing Atogwe and Bartell. If we let these guys walk, not only will it come back to bite us, but it will give us another need we need to find. They showed us last year that they can be solid players, probably two of the most consistent players on this squad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

bigredman is offline Registered User

Sigh...everytime I see these draft projection threads I have a visual of the russian roulette scenes from "The Deer Hunter".

So much can change before the draft in April. We have free agency, decisions on current players, and let's not forget a whole new coaching and front office staff that can drastically change our direction for that pick.

Never the less, I must say I was "confused" more by the framing of the question in the title of the thread. It would be more appropriate if we are speculating as to the pick that was made, and that pick was the second one made by the Rams during the draft (not necessarily the second pick overall).

(I know AvengerRam, Mr. Nitpicky Pickymeister)
    Last edited by bigredman; -02-06-2009 at 07:43 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

larams1980 is offline Registered User

get some o-line help via free agency. Trade down and take curry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast