Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BarronWade is offline Registered User

Was anyone else expecting more this off-season?

Im not talking about the Torry Holt or Orlanda Pace trades for money purposess.

Last year the Dolphins got a new regime and made trades with the cowboys (parcells old team).

So i thought that as soon as we got spags we were going to make trades with the giants (spags old team), Eagles (spags and Shurmur's old team), or the Panthers (Fajole's old team). But we haven't done anything trade-wise. Also we haven't even been rumored for trades (aside from any Holt or Pace rumor).

Also i thought we would do somthing after we realeased Holt and Pace and have enough money like signing Byron Leftwitch. I know we got Butler and Karney after those releases but we still have money.

Also we are moving Spoon to WLB. I haven't heard anything on the rams attempting to get more draft picks by moving the guy.

With a new regime did anyone else expect more trades or FA signings?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Was anyone else expecting more this off-season?

The reason that Parcells was able to make the trades he did was because he knew he could get good players for his schemes for cheap because Jerry Jones wasn't enamored with them and weren't brought in by Wade Phillips. Now, I'm sure Spags knew of some players that wouldn't be resigned(Butler), however, there was no regime change in New York, and so why would they get rid of players for no good reason?

The Falcons turned it around and made no trades of note. Did Baltimore make any trades? Trades are indeed becoming more and more frequent, however, theya re not the end all, be all judge of an offseason, just as free agent pick ups aren't either.

I'm rather impressed by what we have done this offseason, because we focused on getting a few players who are young and on their way up as opposed to those already in their prime or past it(McMichael and Chavous). We focused on getting players who will make our schemes work and we'll do that in the draft as well, I'm sure.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

So far we have done pretty well in free agency. Were getting younger which is good. Clearing some dollars in the cap also a good move. Just remember Rome wasnít built in a day. Have some patience. I think we are going to have to turn this thing around a little before your big time free agents start to look at us. As far as trading goes in todayís NFL itís not easy to make deals. Especially when we really donít have anything of value we can afford to give up.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    The reason that Parcells was able to make the trades he did was because he knew he could get good players for his schemes for cheap because Jerry Jones wasn't enamored with them and weren't brought in by Wade Phillips. Now, I'm sure Spags knew of some players that wouldn't be resigned(Butler), however, there was no regime change in New York, and so why would they get rid of players for no good reason?

The Falcons turned it around and made no trades of note. Did Baltimore make any trades? Trades are indeed becoming more and more frequent, however, theya re not the end all, be all judge of an offseason, just as free agent pick ups aren't either.

I'm rather impressed by what we have done this offseason, because we focused on getting a few players who are young and on their way up as opposed to those already in their prime or past it(McMichael and Chavous). We focused on getting players who will make our schemes work and we'll do that in the draft as well, I'm sure.
    The Falcons traded deangelo hall last year to the raiders for picks.

Yea but shouldn't we try to trade someone like Pisa for a draft pick ?

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Personally I am very happy with how our free agent signings went. We were very restricted in our draft options before the Brown and Butler signings, almost every mock draft I saw had a center and strong safety in the 2-4 rounds. But now we have so much more flexibility to get a receiver, linebacker, NT, etc.

And I am still ecstatic about not letting Bartell get away, I don't see what will stop him from being the best CB in the NFC the next few years.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I wasn't expecting as much as we ended up with. How many of us really thought the Rams would end up with Jason Brown? Many thought he'd be too expensive. It looked like Bartell was going to leave, but we signed him. It took longer than hoped to sign Butler, but he's ours now. Next Mike Karney fell into our laps. Truthfully I didn't think we'd do as well as we have so far. Call it the Shaw/Ziggy hangover if you will .. We aren't done yet though, and even if there are no trades involving the Rams on draft day, there still will be some serviceable players available after roster cut-downs come summer.

Pisa could well be trade bait come draft day, or someone else we haven't even thought of. Heck, I didn't think Pace would be released. You just never know what's going to happen particularly with a new regime that has yet to establish its favorites ...

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Wow I really saw the title of this post and thought it was going to be about positive changes.

Trades are definately not the only way to rebuild a team. If you noticed all the the guys Parcells traded for were 30+ and that is not what we are trying to do. It was more of a vet rebuilding. Guys like Porter, Pennington, and Goodman all stepped up the problem was they are 30+.

The falcons drafted 3 key pieces in Lofton, Matt Ryan, and Sam Baker. They really didn't go all out in in FA the added one big addition in Turner, we did something similar with Brown. What they really did was their young players on the roster before the new regime really stepped up. Rody White, Chris Houston, Justin Blalock, Tyson Clabo, Harvey Dahl, Michael Jenkins, and Jerious Norwood

general counsel is offline Registered User

Who says we arent trying to trade pisa? What makes you think he is worth much? We tried to trade pace and holt. No takers. We have added some quality players and resigned bartell.

Rome wasnt built in a day. Your expectations are out of line. WE are making smart moves, not splashy ones. The splashy headline grabbing moves usually dont get it done. As for the dolphins, the move that made their season was signing pennington. Without chad, they wouldnt have been very good last year and that move had nothing to do with parcells' prior relationship with the cowboys. Schumer and spags were assistant coaches, nothing more. What makes you think that they have any influence to get their former teams to make trades? Spags has brought in at least one of his former players in butler. We are taking positive steps. IT will take some time.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

MORE?!?!

New GM, new FO personnel, new Head Coach, entirely new Coaching staff, locked up our top cover CB, new starting Center, new starting FB, new starting SS, parted with aging LT, parted with aging WR, parted with aging SS, parted with hobbled WR, shook up LB corp, ......

This is the NFL, not Madden! This has been an extremely active off-season.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And an extremely good one in my mind as well.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Exactly. I mean it takes two to tango. What makes you think other teams are willing to give up their draft picks for Pisa? I mean we all know what kind of a warrior he is, but in real life we cant just throw on our third rounder and Pisa and expect a computer's first round pick. I could see us moving 5-O on draft day, but I can understand if we don't get good value for him so decide to keep him rather than get a sixth or seventh rounder.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

I've been pleasantly surprised thus far...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

We've got no money. But we still landed arguably the top center and fullback in free agency--both in their prime--and didn't let Bartell or Atogwe get away. Should we be disappointed that we got former Giants Butler and Dahl by signing them as free agents instead of engaging in more exciting trade talks where we'd have to give something up?

I think we've got to be realistic about this. We've cut almost every player over thirty (Little, Bulger, and Draft might be the only ones remaining). If we weren't rebuilding before, we definitely are now. And when a team is rebuilding, it's not likely to go for big, flashy moves to try to put it over the top.

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Personally I think the fact the Rams have cleared up the cap for next season was a massive step in the right direction. They made difficult and smart decisions to take the hit this year in releasing Pace, Holt and Bennett. Those are three guys who may have helped in 2009 but are definitely on the downsides of their careers (no Bennett jokes please) and this team is looking to compete in 2010 and beyond. Sometimes, it isn't all about signing the big contracts, it's about avoid the big flops and making the hard choices.

As for the age: Little will be a free agent next season so the Rams were smart to keep him. I believe Draft is in the same boat. Rams are moving in the right direction on the age curve.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -03-23-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i love the moves..we were not only one of the worst teams in the NFL under Linny we also became one of the oldest and overpaid..

under Linny/zygmunt...we made the big money splashes on Bennett (a Wideout that cant get on the field long enough to make a catch,which admittedly may take a lot of throws for him to make one anyway....) a MLB in Spoon who is finally being moved back to his proper position and Bell the big money Guard who weighs about the same these days as Indys DT`s last year and is now being pencilled in for a "project" RT.

for the first off-season in nearly a decade we havent let anyone go before or during their prime which is something thats worth rejoicing...too many off-seasons have been spent with the powers that be being cheap with quality players and generous with duds!

we have proper football people running the Rams now..sit back,relax and enjoy the ride...
    we may all have a few more grey hairs before we get back to the big dance but im gonna be jitterbugging with the best of them when we get there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast