Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

  1. #1
    ZiaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,530
    Rep Power
    20

    Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

    I hear he are interested in T Eric Winston formerly of the Texans, I have yet to find any reviews or anything else on him.... anyone know of anything helpful on him by chance?


  2. #2
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,300
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

    Pro Football Focus calls Winston "one of the best right tackles in the league over the past three seasons."

    Read their write-up on his release here.

    Eric Winston Hits the Market. Really? | ProFootballFocus.com
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  3. #3
    ZiaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,530
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Pro Football Focus calls Winston "one of the best right tackles in the league over the past three seasons."

    Read their write-up on his release here.

    Eric Winston Hits the Market. Really? | ProFootballFocus.com
    Holy Mother!!! Wow I'm impressed... wonder what kind of deal he'd be wanting? My favorite thing is how they stress his consitancy of play...
    What you think of us picking him up, move Saffold over to RT and restructure Mr Smith and use him as a Guard?
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -03-13-2012 at 10:34 PM.

  4. #4
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,216
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

    Interesting high marks on ProFootball Focus for T Eric Winston! I like their "Houston, We Had a Tackle" bottom line as the Texans fans lament the release of this OL.

    I say, talk to the man pronto.

  5. #5
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,864
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Holy Mother!!! Wow I'm impressed... wonder what kind of deal he'd be wanting? My favorite thing is how they stress his consitancy of play...
    What you think of us picking him up, move Saffold over to RT and restructure Mr Smith and use him as a Guard?
    Zia, I'm trying to figure out how this makes sense. Saffold has played two seasons at left tackle, where his better agility helps him, whereas he has not done as well against bull rushers, which frequently come off the right side.

    Winston is a pro-bowl caliber right tackle, and you are suggesting moving him to left tackle. So we would have two guys who are having to relearn their techniques for use on the opposite side and quite possibly for opponent types that they are unused to seeing.

    Sign Winston, keep Saffold on LT, and Smith either plays guard or is the swing guy... or maybe mans up and beats out Saffold. Or he's cut, who knows.
    ZiaRam likes this.
    I believe!

  6. #6
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,122
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

    Everyone said he needs to overcome his injuries...he may be a couple weeks away from full health, but when healthy he is a solid player...

    Rams lock up finnegan, if Jones is next, Wintson would make the topping

  7. #7
    RuffRams's Avatar
    RuffRams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,179
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

    I wouldn't mind this at all. I agree with Teke, Good idea Zia but not the right thing to mess up Winson as well now.

    As far as I'm concerned I think Saffold will be allright. Just a fluke year last year like the rest of the teams. Watch how Fisher effects him, I think Saffold is in the making of a great LT next year.
    lostsoul and ZiaRam like this.

  8. #8
    39WillRunYaOva's Avatar
    39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    538
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

    DO IT RIGHT NOW!!!This guy is a beast and we need oline help,any1 else love this offseason so far like its crazy we arent being the doormats of the FA period we are talking and making moves.Awesome

  9. #9
    ZiaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,530
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

    Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Zia, I'm trying to figure out how this makes sense. Saffold has played two seasons at left tackle, where his better agility helps him, whereas he has not done as well against bull rushers, which frequently come off the right side.

    Winston is a pro-bowl caliber right tackle, and you are suggesting moving him to left tackle. So we would have two guys who are having to relearn their techniques for use on the opposite side and quite possibly for opponent types that they are unused to seeing.

    Sign Winston, keep Saffold on LT, and Smith either plays guard or is the swing guy... or maybe mans up and beats out Saffold. Or he's cut, who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I wouldn't mind this at all. I agree with Teke, Good idea Zia but not the right thing to mess up Winson as well now.

    As far as I'm concerned I think Saffold will be allright. Just a fluke year last year like the rest of the teams. Watch how Fisher effects him, I think Saffold is in the making of a great LT next year.
    LOL whoops My mistake he is a RT! Sorry thought he was a LT... haha has you can tell I didn't know turd about Winston but I am catching up very fast like!
    Although I'd love to have Smith man up but don't know if that is likely?
    lostsoul likes this.

  10. #10
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,409
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

    Lets not forget he thrived in a ZBS.. we're not going to be running a ZBS, we run a PBS. I still think we should sign him. He got released whilst making 5.5 mill a year, so I see him at a reasonable price. I definitely would be happy with cutting Jason Smith (unless he restructures and saves us a good 6 mill) and replacing him with a pro bowler for only 3 quarters (at max) the price.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  11. #11
    RuffRams's Avatar
    RuffRams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,179
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Although I'd love to have Smith man up but don't know if that is likely?
    We can only hope


  12. #12
    RuffRams's Avatar
    RuffRams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,179
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Lets not forget he thrived in a ZBS.. we're not going to be running a ZBS, we run a PBS. I still think we should sign him. He got released whilst making 5.5 mill a year, so I see him at a reasonable price. I definitely would be happy with cutting Jason Smith (unless he restructures and saves us a good 6 mill) and replacing him with a pro bowler for only 3 quarters (at max) the price.
    I think if smith doesn't restructure, its in our best interest to go ahead and cut him?
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.


  13. #13
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,649
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

    I would be in favour of signing Winston

    I also think Smith's future depends on what happens in FA

  14. #14
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,951
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

    I hope we get Winston. Would be a great move in my opinion.


  15. #15
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,300
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Anyone have comments on Eric Winston?

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Lets not forget he thrived in a ZBS.. we're not going to be running a ZBS, we run a PBS. I still think we should sign him. He got released whilst making 5.5 mill a year, so I see him at a reasonable price. I definitely would be happy with cutting Jason Smith (unless he restructures and saves us a good 6 mill) and replacing him with a pro bowler for only 3 quarters (at max) the price.
    Yet weren't you critical of the team last year for mixing and matching offensive linemen who fit different blocking schemes because it hurt the team's offensive identity?


    Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I think if smith doesn't restructure, its in our best interest to go ahead and cut him?
    I seem to recall the cap savings wouldn't be tremendous, though I haven't been able to go back and find that information to confirm.

    But yes, Smith is making way too much now as a starter considering his production on the field, let alone if the Rams would make him a back-up. Conceivably, if the Rams signed Winston (big if at this point, IMO), you could ask Smith to compete at either LT or LG where there would be more uncertainty.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Winston Moss Interview
    By schut39 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -01-04-2009, 02:00 PM
  2. Rams Seek Permission to Talk to Winston Moss
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: -12-30-2008, 08:17 PM
  3. Now healthy, Winston eager to lead Hurricanes
    By DJRamFan in forum COLLEGE
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -07-31-2005, 06:05 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-04-2004, 03:13 PM
  5. Jackson makes comments on comments
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: -07-28-2004, 05:28 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •