RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Anyone interested in Franklin? 2008 6th pick in 4th round released by KC

2008 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

Will Franklin

WR, Missouri 4.37 40 time

Height & Weight 6'1 214

Franklin is an under-the-radar prospect, as he wasn't the main option in an offense that featured two of the nation's top tight ends in Martin Rucker and Chase Coffman and saw the emergence of speedy freshman Jeremy Maclin.

Even though he wasn't a primary option, Franklin put up solid numbers throughout his four-year career, with 143 catches, 2,125 yards receiving, and 13 touchdowns. His best season was in 2006, when he caught 48 passes for 829 yards (17.3 yards per catch) and six touchdowns.

Given that he wasn't in the limelight at Mizzou, Franklin needed to take advantage of pre-draft opportunities to boost his stock, and he did. At the combine, he ran one of the fastest 40 times, clocking in at 4.37 seconds. At Missouri's Pro Day, Franklin showed tremendous jumping ability with a 40 1/2 inch vertical and a broad jump of 10 feet, 11 inches.

With his combination of size, speed, and athleticism, Franklin has real big-play ability and the potential to be a productive receiver in the NFL.
    With his combine and Pro Day showings, Franklin's stock has moved from likely a fourth-round pick, at best, to where there's a good chance he'll be taken in the third round

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Anyone interested in Franklin? 2008 6th pick in 4th round released by KC

I mean he looks ok on tape and all but there has got to be more to why the Cheifs just released him and he isn't even given a practice squad invite ?

? anyone ?

After thinking about this -- I agree that we should take a shot on Franklin.

He is on waivers now, and teams have the ability to sign the player based on draft order. So we would definately get him for cheap if we want him. As long as he is 100% healthy for camp I think he could help.

agree.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

He must have done something wrong to have been released like this, so i would stay away

Basically, from scouring the Chiefs' boards all I can find is that he didn't learn the system well and he was always hurt.

The KC fans were extremelly mad that he was let go and that he showed flashes of being a great player.

I think he would even look better on the turf and has some strength.

What is the harm on claiming him and giving him a shot?

KC's coaching staff seems overly concerned about having "their" players only on the roster and the may have cut a young talent for the wrong reasons.

give him a shot.

ramhard is offline Registered User

Nope too many flags

Here's a guy with his size and speed who wasn't featured in college and overshadowed by two TE's and an incoming freshman (albeit a very good one). If this college coaches didn't seem fit to feature him with his measurables - that is a big flag. After his blistering 20 and other combine #'s he was predicted to move up from 4th to 3rd round and instead went in the 6th - another red flag that the scouts and teams saw something on tape or otherwise to worry them. Then the Chiefs, not exactly a WR powerhoulse, waive this guy even before camp, though he was cheap as a 6th rounder - and wouldn't impact their cap much at all - another red flag.

So my answer is NO, too many red flags with this guy, and the Rams will need their own young receivers to get as much practice and rep time as possible, so no need to bring in someone to waste these reps.

I think that KC is cutting players because they are bring in 'their" guys. Not neccessarily because the players they are cutting are bad. Some guys get lost in the shuffle when there is a new staff.

ps

Round 4 of the 2008 draft (6th pick of 4th round)

6. (105) Kansas City Chiefs - Will Franklin, WR Missouri

So I don't know where you are getting that he went in the 6th round?

KCRamFan is offline Registered User

Living in KC I got to see him play with the Chiefs. He looked very good in the preseason games but got hurt early in the regular season and he barely made it on the field anyway.

I would at least bring him in for a physical and see if he is fully healed. I don't remember exactly what kind of injury he had last season. I would sign him if here were good to go and see what he could do at the dome.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Pioli and Haley probably just want to bring in "their guy".
    I'll take a chance on him, i remember him from re-draft stuff, and he can be as good as Laurent Robinson.

Do this already....cheap, worth a shot, and kid is from Mizzu, played at KC, he doesn't even have to go far..

cheers

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Really, what's the downside? You sign him to a cheap contract and if he doesn't stick, you are out very little. This team NEEDS, young talented WRs and the guy has good hands.

cfh128 is online now Registered User

Via Fox Sports...

Being the NFL's worst team in 2008 has its advantages.

Detroit claimed ex-Kansas City wide receiver Will Franklin off waivers Tuesday, a source told FOXSports.com. The Lions were given the nod over four other teams who placed waiver claims — St. Louis, Philadelphia, Indianapolis and Oakland — because of a worse record last season. The Lions finished as the only 0-16 squad in NFL history.

Franklin could help Detroit get back on track. A 2008 fourth-round pick from Missouri, Franklin caught seven passes for 83 yards in his rookie campaign. Franklin, though, was deemed expendable by the new Scott Pioli-Todd Haley regime in Kansas City.

The Lions are seeking receiver depth after trading Roy Williams to Dallas last October and releasing Mike Furrey in February. Bryant Johnson, who caught 45 passes for 546 yards and three touchdowns last season in San Francisco, signed early this offseason.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

At least we went for him. A shame that Detroit's not a WR haven either. Anyone think we could sign Holt for $2M?

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I mean he looks ok on tape and all but there has got to be more to why the Cheifs just released him and he isn't even given a practice squad invite ?

? anyone ?
    You don't sound interested in your 1st post.

After thinking about this -- I agree that we should take a shot on Franklin.

He is on waivers now, and teams have the ability to sign the player based on draft order. So we would definately get him for cheap if we want him. As long as he is 100% healthy for camp I think he could help.

agree.
    1. You agree we should have tried to get him?

Basically, from scouring the Chiefs' boards all I can find is that he didn't learn the system well and he was always hurt.

The KC fans were extremelly mad that he was let go and that he showed flashes of being a great player.

I think he would even look better on the turf and has some strength.

What is the harm on claiming him and giving him a shot?

KC's coaching staff seems overly concerned about having "their" players only on the roster and the may have cut a young talent for the wrong reasons.

give him a shot.
    2. You agree we should have tried to get him?

Do this already....cheap, worth a shot, and kid is from Mizzu, played at KC, he doesn't even have to go far..

cheers
    3. You agree we should have tried to get him?

Your a real idiot you say we should have tried to get him now. After giving me a negative rep on this post saying it was "For bringing up Will Franklin". I just posted a 2008 Draft scouting report article on him with none of my input at all. All I said was in the title "Anyone interested in Franklin?". I never went so far as to say get him or not. I was spurring on opinions from the Clan. I realized we were second on the list as far as waiver claims I just wanted to see if anyone was interested. At the time of the release several thought Detroit might pass but that did not turn out to be the case. Now its a moot point but I still think you sir are an idiot for giving me a negative rep for bringing up a players name and then telling everyone else here you agree with going after him.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-15-2009 at 10:01 PM.