Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Anyone noticed that the Rams havent said much about Chris Long at all?

Ive not heard anything about Chris Long for a while now it seems, the only thing ive noticed the Rams say is Devaney saying that playing against the run is Chris Long's forte, thats it

does that suggest the Rams arent interested, or does this show he is really the Rams desired player?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Anyone noticed that the Rams havent said much about Chris Long at all?

maybe they believe (as i do) that he`s the best player in this years draft and dont believe he`ll be available ,if he is they will take him but theres no reason to declare love for someone who a) might not even be available to pick or b)they have no intention of trading away the 2nd overall pick if he`s still there

i believe they want Chris Long over anyone else ,they saying more about dorsey,gholston etc...because they are prospects that they would trade down instead of picking them at 2!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I've noticed it as well, and it's rather remarkable, though they haven't said much about Run DMC or Matt Ryan either. How much did we say about Carriker last year, or Hill the year before that? I agree with Ramblin that it's quite possibly a smokescreen by not saying anything about him, meanwhile complimenting other elite guys who could legitimately be the pick. Namely Jake Long and Dorsey, in addition to Gholston.

the thing is there isnt much point the Rams saying stuff about Run DMC or Ryan because we have Steven Jackson and Marc Bulger, two pro bowl players

Rambos is offline Registered User

Do you want them to come out and say we are taking C. Long? IMO the Rams will try and make Dorsey look like the pick, too see how bad the Falcons want him.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Do you want them to come out and say we are taking C. Long? IMO the Rams will try and make Dorsey look like the pick, too see how bad the Falcons want him.
    I agree 100% the Rams want their pick to be a mystery and have teams picking below them wanting to trade up with us to get their guy. You never want to tip your hand when selecting this high and the Rams having so many holes to fill we could go any direction and teams know this. We could pick Dorsey,either Long,or Gholston and that keeps teams guessing I like it.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    no i dont want them to come out and say that, i like the Dorsey smoke screen. My choice for the Rams pick has always been Chris Long. I made this topic because im hoping that this sort of ignoring of Long is because Long is the real target for the Rams

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Tomahawk, I know that we have them, and I expect us to sign a long term deal with Jax. However, with us bringing in McFadden on Monday and us situated to take him if we wanted, allowing us to then ship Jackson off for either a first rounder for a pass rusher or a veteran pass rusher, it bears some thought. I'm not saying we should do it, but it's a possibility that hasn't been brought up much. At the very least we should have said something about him.

As for Ryan, he was just a Top 5 guy who they haven't mentioned, though I'm sure that some Bulger haters would love for him to be picked up. I have no desire for him to be anywhere near St Louis, unless he's throwing us interceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Tomahawk, I know that we have them, and I expect us to sign a long term deal with Jax. However, with us bringing in McFadden on Monday and us situated to take him if we wanted, allowing us to then ship Jackson off for either a first rounder for a pass rusher or a veteran pass rusher, it bears some thought. I'm not saying we should do it, but it's a possibility that hasn't been brought up much. At the very least we should have said something about him.

As for Ryan, he was just a Top 5 guy who they haven't mentioned, though I'm sure that some Bulger haters would love for him to be picked up. I have no desire for him to be anywhere near St Louis, unless he's throwing us interceptions.

Im not even sure Ryan really ever was a top 5 pick. For some reason Kiper had him going to Miami despite far better players being available. I think going 8th to Baltimore is far closer to Ryan's value.

As for McFadden, i know the idea of drafting him and trading Jackson has been talked about for a while. But the fact is Jackson is easily a pro bowler if he plays a whole season, while McFadden could easily go the way of Reggie Bush and not succeed.

Although i am surprised that i havent heard anything about McFadden in quite a while now. Not just from the Rams, but from anyone. I think he may be in for a Brady Quinn style drop because of character issues and lack of need, although he wont make it past Detroit if they have any sense

starfoxx is offline Registered User

They haven't really said much about any player. It's the media that does all the speculating and theorizing.
    Last edited by starfoxx; -04-16-2008 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    The haven't really said much about any player. It's the media that does all the speculating and theorizing.
    Ive heard a lot of quotes from the Rams regarding Glenn Dorsey, thats for sure. And a fair few about Jake Long as well.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Rambos is 100% on target in my view. I live in atlanta. THe falcons would love to get their hands on either jake long or dorsey. We are trying to drum up interest in that #2 pick. It cant hurt.

Why should we give away what we really think in advance. No other business operates like that.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Rambos is 100% on target in my view. I live in atlanta. THe falcons would love to get their hands on either jake long or dorsey. We are trying to drum up interest in that #2 pick. It cant hurt.

Why should we give away what we really think in advance. No other business operates like that.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    General Counsel is correct........Falcons most likely want either Jake Long or Glen Dorsey - obviously if Dolphins take Jake Long and if Rams take Glen Dorsey that is unfortunate for the Falcons.

Having said that, I will say this......the Atlanta Falcons WILL NOT give up any picks to trade up with you guys - Why you ask? Here's why......

The Falcons roster is a "mess" right now. We have maybe 2-3 very good players and a lot of sub-par players after that. The Falcons have 11 picks in this draft, so the first thing other teams think is........."ah, the Falcons have a lot of picks, let's get'em to trade up with us".

If Falcons take Glen Dorsey or Jake Long at #3(or move up w/ you guys and have to give up a draft pick) - well then the Falcons still need to "move up" to get their franchise QB. The Falcons also need major help on the offensive line - if Dorsey is the pick at #2 and we have to give you guys one of our 2nd rounders to move up - well, then that does not leave the Falcons with a lot of picks - if Falcons have to give up a 2nd rounder to secure Dorsey from the Rams and then the Falcons have to trade two 2nd rounders to move up into 1st round for Brian Brohm - then that leaves the Falcons with two players (Dorsey/Brohm) and it took four picks to grab the two players - that will NOT happen. Then, they would come out of this draft with no impact offensive linemen - they need two.

So, just think about it from the other team's perspective - it takes "two" to make a trade work - Falcons would rather "lose out" on Dorsey/J. Long than give up a draft pick. I am not sold on Matt Ryan but if Dorsey/J. Long are gone, the Falcons will probably "try" and trade down - if they cannot, they probably just cross their fingers/close their eyes and select Matt Ryan and pray he's not a "bust". I would be desperate to move down and look at Clady or Albert if Falcons cannot get J. Long or G. Dorsey.

Falconator Guest

also, just because you guys may not know - here are Falcons picks through first four rounds

1st - #3 overall
    2nd - #34(f/ Raiders), #37, #48(f/ Texans)
    3rd - #68, #98(compensatory)
    4th - #105

So, as you can see, the Falcons have four picks in the first 48 and have six picks in the first 105......Believe me, the Falcons need almost every one of them.......I think if Falcons pass on QB at #3 overall, you will see Falcons package two of the 2nd rounders to move up to grab Brian Brohm in the first........or wait until #34 and take whomever is left between Henne and Flacco....

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

the Atlanta Falcons WILL NOT give up any picks to trade up with you guys
    I gotta agree with falconator. The birds won't trade up with us, for the same reason we won't trade up with the Fins.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast