throwback week

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By berg8309

Thread: The Arguments in Favor of Each of the "Big 5" Prospects

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Arguments in Favor of Each of the "Big 5" Prospects

As an attorney, it is my job to advocate in favor of a position, even if I am fully aware of the presence of counterarguments that may, in some cases, be cogent.

Applying this approach to the "Big 5" prospects, I have little difficulty seeing the bright side of each of the players the Rams are thought to be considering. Indeed, as a consummate optimist, these are the types of arguments you will likely see me making after the Rams make their selection.

Jadeveon Clowney
    Clowney is viewed by many as an elite prospect, not only in the context of this draft class, but in general. From a physical standpoint, he has a size/speed combination that is extremely rare. By adding him to an already strong group of pass rushers, the Rams have the potential of dominating a very key aspect of the game. Clowney also offers the Rams flexibility, as they have already signed Chris Long to a large contract, and will soon need to do the same with Robert Quinn.

Khalil Mack
    Mack, like Clowney, could take the Rams' pass rush to the next level. While he might not be viewed as quite the rare commodity that Clowney might be, Mack arguably is a better fit for the Rams defense, as he would be an immediate starter at OLB. The idea of a LB trio of Mack, James Laurinaitis and Alec Ogletree is intriguing, to say the least, as is the idea of Mack rushing the passer on the same side of the ball as either Quinn or Long.

Jake Matthews
    Matthews is the conservative, safe option. The expectation is that he would immediately become a starter, and an upgrade, at RT, and would ultimately replace Jake Long at LT. His bloodlines and college performance make it easy to project him as a potential 10 year starter and Pro Bowl level player. While he might be the least exciting of the options, in the long run, he might produce the most dividends.

Greg Robinson
    Robinson is not a finished product, but its not difficult to see why he's viewed as an elite prospect. As a run blocker, he has the size and skill to overwhelm defenders in the manner that Orlando Pace did for the Rams during the GSOT years. While he may be a work in progress as a pass blocker, he should be able to succeed in most instances based on pure physical superiority. If he improves his technique, the sky is the limit.

Sammy Watkins
    Selecting Watkins would change the Rams WR corps from a committee approach to a true hierarchy. Watkins would be the No. 1 target, and would open things up for the other recievers, Tavon Austin in particular. Taking Watkins is also a good financial move, as FA WRs are among the most overpriced players in the NFL.

There are downsides to each player, but, to be perfectly honest, I would not be upset if any of them become Rams.
    berg8309 and Randart like this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: The Arguments in Favor of Each of the "Big 5" Prospects

Well stated on each prospect AvR, however as this process has gone along Jake Matthews has been disected enough to the point of opening these thoughts and views as well as those you presented. He is viewed as a plug an play guy for sure but more a RT than a LT cause of limted reach also even Jeff Fisher has projected him as being probably able to play any place along the line that to me increases his value even though his physical abilities might limit his effectiveness at LT.

Now on to a off the site question, if you as a defense attorney have a client confide or as you pursue and investigate the case find he is guilty... Can you opt out or retire from the case, I guess or my guess is it depends on your contract with the defendant? I actually have known some Lawyers but never did ask them and been years since I chatted to me old mates about things. Thanks for your thoughts as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    Now on to a off the site question, if you as a defense attorney have a client confide or as you pursue and investigate the case find he is guilty... Can you opt out or retire from the case, I guess or my guess is it depends on your contract with the defendant? I actually have known some Lawyers but never did ask them and been years since I chatted to me old mates about things. Thanks for your thoughts as always.
    I don't practice criminal law, so that's an issue that I (by choice) do not face.

In civil matters, there are certainly times in which my client's position is belied by the facts that are uncovered through discovery, but its rarely so cut and dried as a question of guilt/innocence.
    Randart likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm convinced. Let's take one of each.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm convinced. Let's take one of each.

"Have you decided, Sir?"

"I'LL HAVE THE LOT!!!"

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    I'd say generally most criminal defense attorneys will not withdraw simply because the client is guilty. If that bothers them, they should look in to other areas of law. Personally I've never withdrawn for that reason, but then I try to stay away from criminal court as much as I can.
    Randart likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Sammy Watkins
    Selecting Watkins would change the Rams WR corps from a committee approach to a true hierarchy. Watkins would be the No. 1 target, and would open things up for the other recievers, Tavon Austin in particular. Taking Watkins is also a good financial move, as FA WRs are among the most overpriced players in the NFL.
    That is something I haven't considered, but is very true. It would give us what, 4 years of a cheap Watkins? Of course OT's are paid pretty well. Any of the premium positions that go at the top of the draft really.

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

I had taken Sammy Watkins out of my preferred choices for our first pick until I watched the video on the Rams official site. It starts (as most will have seen) with the fact that only three other players than Watkins have been voted to the AP All American team as first year freshmen. They are Herschel Walker, Adrian Peterson and the one and only Marshall Faulk.

Within seconds of hearing that I started to think that maybe the O Line can wait a little longer!

Haste is offline Registered User

My #1 Choice would be Watkins.

Opening up other plays for Tavon , Bailey, and Cook is essential to improving our offensive attack.

Sam also needs a #1 in his 'prove it or else we may go another direction' year. You need to give him as much as possible to succeed.

Randart is offline Registered User

Thanks to AvR & Berg good answers to a tough question! Appreciate your guys honesty and thoughts!

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Getting free legal council from this post, awesome! :-)

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Back to the point of the post I see the argument being made for Watkins being intriguing. The over paying for free agent angle has a lot of truth into it. Yes it would be awesome to have a great lineman, but I think lineman can be gotten from lower rounds and with an excellent coach which we have can become very valuable player.

Has anyone done research on how the top lineman did last year as opposed to those gotten in the middle rounds? I think that would help add or subtract from their argument if a correlation could be made.