Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Arizona Cardinals....sleeping giant???

And with Warner grooming Cutler for a year or two with that WR corp and Edge at the RB should pose a serious threat to the rest of the NFC West.

That's my opinion. That and 200 bucks can get me to Florida to drive UtterBlitz around on her holiday.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Despite numerous injuries last year, they were 8th in the NFL in total offense and 8th in total defense. If they stay healthy, their potential concerns me.
    If you're going to use stats to make your argument, you have to give the whole picture.

On offense, while the Cards were 8th in the league with 348.4 yards per game, they only averaged 19.7 points per game. Compare that the Rams, who averaged 348.2 yards per game, but 22.7 points per game.

On defense, they allowed on ly 295.6 yards per game, but that translated to 24.2 points per game. The Rams allowed nearly 55 more yards per game, but that only translated to 2.6 more points per game.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Anybody's good on paper and that is where the concerns start. The cards look damn good on paper at this point, but paper don't mean $h!t so we shall see. Stats don't mean $h!t either!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    If you're going to use stats to make your argument, you have to give the whole picture.

On offense, while the Cards were 8th in the league with 348.4 yards per game, they only averaged 19.7 points per game. Compare that the Rams, who averaged 348.2 yards per game, but 22.7 points per game.

On defense, they allowed on ly 295.6 yards per game, but that translated to 24.2 points per game. The Rams allowed nearly 55 more yards per game, but that only translated to 2.6 more points per game.
    Fair points. I still believe they have the potential to be a solid team and improve on the numbers you pointed out. Again, if they stay healthy, playmakers like Berry, Dansby, Rolle, Okeafor, Boldin, Fitzgerald, James and Warner give them a chance to be competitive. The OL is a big question and they most definitely have to translate the talent they have on paper to performance on the field. We'll see.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Throw stats and all that stuff as much as you want, they can build the O line through FA very easily.
    Then why haven't they done it? They've trie but have failed.

Edge's contract sure won't help them either.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Honestly, I wouldn't exactly feel comfortable with Arizona taking a talented QB prospect in the first round to groom for the future, especially one that's going to grow with Fitzgerald. I don't think the turnaround is going to be immediate, but down the road the Cardinals would be a team I'd watch.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

All I'm saying is this: that if they select Cutler, they have the best young corp players in the NFC West.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

One thing to remember. The Cards are still and always will be the Cards. Even if they had AJ Hawk, they would still be the same old sorry ass Cards.

Its easy to get wide-eyed about their strength in the skill position areas, but they still have some big holes on their O line and their D line is just average. Not exactly a formula for major success.
    And poor coaching, and a cheap FO. They may improve to the point of giving us problems, but I wouldn't bet the fram on them. Didn't the "experts" pick them to win the west last year? LOL
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Warning: If the following post does not make sense, it is because I couldn't get Sami to be quiet long enough for my brain to function for more than three seconds at a time.

One definite thing about Arizona is that they are better than the whiners at this point. This in itself means little, but there are other things to be considered.
    If they DO end up drafting one of the 'Big Three' QB's, the one they pick may end up being another Akili Smith. (Cincinatti drafted him in 99, I think, at #3...please correct me if I am wrong here.) Even if they do get a decent NFL caliber QB, who will be grooming him?
    Before anyone jumps my butt here...Yes, Kurt Warner is in a class by himself. Mentally, I believe he IS the best. Physically, he doesn't appear to be as good as he once was. (Is that politically correct enough? ) I think he could really help a kid out when it comes to learning the system. But is Bulger a result of Warner's tutalege, or was it a combination of Warner, Martz, the QB coach, and several other factors put together?
    As far as the rest of the team, I think they are capable of an average or even slightly above season. How well they do depends on a lot. Injuries, not only to the Tards, but to the other divisional teams, can play a huge part in the Tard's success.
    So how will they fare? The whiners should be the bottom feeders once again...the 'carp of the NFL'. (If you don't know what a carp is, ask any southern fisherman.) The Tards should be riding in the middle, but better than 5-11, and as usual for the past few years, the Rams and shesquawks should be battling it out for the top spot. Who comes out with the prize depends on how improved we are and how the squawks deal with the SB hangover.

I hope that made sense. 48 minutes to make a 5 minute post, thanks to Sami's help. Now that she's settled down and playing on her computer, it's about time for that dumb blond to start bothering me. No, not Mom, the dumb blond is Mae, one of our dogs.

Hand me a beer....:drunk: :drunk:

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    And with Warner grooming Cutler for a year or two with that WR corp and Edge at the RB should pose a serious threat to the rest of the NFC West.

That's my opinion. That and 200 bucks can get me to Florida to drive UtterBlitz around on her holiday.
    What, Warner is going to teach him to fall down in the pocket? Take five seconds to read a 3 second pattern? How to hold the ball like a loaf of bread so when you get hit, you fumble it? The Cards have the bad mojo....snake bit....whatever you want to call it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

We all know that the best players on paper mean very little in this league, (see Rams 2002 superbowl) or the Colts every year.

Couple that with the way players switch teams constantly and I doubt that any team will dominate anything for more than two or three years.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    What, Warner is going to teach him to fall down in the pocket? Take five seconds to read a 3 second pattern? How to hold the ball like a loaf of bread so when you get hit, you fumble it? The Cards have the bad mojo....snake bit....whatever you want to call it.
    I sure hope you're right bigredman 'cause the bumbler you described somehow managed to torch us at home and away, somehow helped the Cardinals lead the NFL in passing yards, attempts and completions, all without an offensive line and zero running game.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I think Arizona is rapidly improving. It's bound to happen .. Look at all the early first round draft picks they've had.

All we can do is add the best players we can to become better and more physical.

Personally, I think the way to do it is to add some physical guys. IMO, we need to be able to run on good teams and stop good running teams from running on us.

A good inside running game will go along way in helping the Offense. It makes the biggest difference in slowing down rushers and significantly reduces passing in predictable situations - where the advantage is passed to the stacked Defense.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Its easy to get wide-eyed about their strength in the skill position areas, but they still have some big holes on their O line and their D line is just average. Not exactly a formula for major success.

Little off topic but i hate that term "skill postition" how much more skill do they need then a lineman?

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    The three QB's in this draft....Leinhart, Young, and Cutler, are going to go early. Arizona is picking ONE spot ahead of the Rams. Remember when we drafted Kennedy? Who was in front of the Rams that year? Seattle. Who did Seattle take? Trufant. Trufant played excellent against the Rams and I have a feeling that song is going to play again. With Arizona picking ahead of the Rams, with Edge at RB and a stable of WR's that would make Bob Baffert jealous, when they take one of these three....whichever one.....they are my pick for supremcy in the NFC West for a long time.
    Maybe, lets see what happens after the draft and the end of Free Agency. If you are asking right now if they are capable of being NFC west champs, I would say no.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12