Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Ask the DraftNICK! (Version 1.0)

For those of you who are relatively new to these boards, the day after the Rams' season ends, we chain Nick to a computer desk and, with the help of an espresso I.V., force him to research draft prospects 23.5 hours a day until draft day.

The result is that Nick, or DraftNick, as he is known this time of the year, is as good a draft resource as you will find on the internet (and, unlike Mel Kiper, you don't have to pay to read his thoughts).

So, fire away with your questions. The DraftNick is waiting!

Re: Ask the DraftNICK! (Version 1.0)

I'll get it started:

DraftNick,

Which underclassmen are most likely to impact the Rams' selection at pick #13? Certainly, Brian Brohm and Alan Branch are two guys who, if they come out, would likely push other prospects down towards the Rams pick. Who are some of the others we should be watching?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I love this time of year. We wind up Nick and just watch him go. When he starts to slow down, we whisper in his ear, "Do you think Kiper is taking a break?"....he charges up again and gets after it.

My question: With the assumption that Defense will be (rightly should be) the emphasis, where does our first offensive pick fit in, and who might that pick be?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Nick -
    Mom and I have been talking about our needs in the draft this spring. The way we see it, we think this is probably the way we should pick (in order of need, barring losses to free agency/trades):

1. DE
    2. LB
    3. The Hulk's little brother, to learn LT, LG, and C (T backup, but able to fill in at LG or C)
    4. Safety (for depth)
    5. CB (for depth)
    6. Tall WR
    7. QB, in case Gus joins AARP
    8. RB, change of pace

Tawn seems to think FA will fill our other needs better than the draft. I'm not sure I agree. I'd like to see a punter taken late, someone Turk could work with, maybe double as a ST player. I'd like to see more emphasis on the D line, and I am not convinced of the need for a QB.

What's your take on this?

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

DraftNick,

Who do you think would be a good choice to add depth on the Oline on the Second day of the draft?

Who is the Best PR going into the draft?

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

DraftNick,

With our current draft pick and presuming that the order before us stays the same, do you think it would be more productive if we drafted a hard hitting mlb and move spoon to the outside in the first, or if we drafted a large lane clogger? And if you take one do you then take the other in the second round?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I could only get to a couple questions now, but I plan on getting to RamsFan4ever and Dr. Defense's questions after I watch the Sugar Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Which underclassmen are most likely to impact the Rams' selection at pick #13? Certainly, Brian Brohm and Alan Branch are two guys who, if they come out, would likely push other prospects down towards the Rams pick. Who are some of the others we should be watching?
    When you look at the top of the draft board, there really are a tremendous amount of underclassmen expected to declare...

Calvin Johnson, WR, GA Tech
    Alan Branch, DT, Michigan
    Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
    Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC
    Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
    JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
    Reggie Nelson, S, Florida
    Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State

Most of these guys are expected to declare and could/should all be Top 15 picks. However there would be big shake-ups if some of them decided to stay, and I think that's certainly possible. After Michigan's loss to USC, it wouldn't surprise me to see Branch stay another year. I wouldn't be shocked if Calvin Johnson stays either because I guess he's in no financial need of an NFL paycheck and his family put an emphasis on education. Brohm I think stays for his senior year as well.

Keep an eye on JaMarcus Russell tonight as LSU takes on Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl (8pm EST on Fox). A great performance by Russell could propel him into the top 5-10 this year, because a lot of teams at the top of the draft order seem to like Russell a lot (either that or they're all unanimously blowing some major smoke).

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    My question: With the assumption that Defense will be (rightly should be) the emphasis, where does our first offensive pick fit in, and who might that pick be?
    I'm afraid to say it, but depending on how the Rams fill out their draft board, the first offensive player selected could be as high as round one. Supposedly the Rams would like to make their return game a priority this offseason, and that may start by looking at someone like Ted Ginn in the first round.

I personally think we have other areas of concern for our Day One picks, but a fair case can be made that if we lose Curtis we'll need a slot receiver and Ginn also brings talent as a return man. Again, I want to note that while I understand the logic behind that scenario, I still don't agree with it. I would prefer to address other areas on Day One and maybe take a developmental WR prospect on the second day of the draft in rounds 4-5. However I won't rule it out as something the Rams may do simply because I'm not a huge fan of that strategy.

If I had to chose, I would like to see the Rams go defense in two of the three rounds on Day One, using the one offensive pick to address the offensive line, specifically at center. This isn't an amazing free agent group of centers, and while Romberg has been decent in a handful of games, I think we'd really benefit from drafting someone to compete with him for the starting job next year. Right now I think a guy like Ryan Kalil (center, USC) could be a nice addition if he's there in the third round, which may not be the case as some project him as a second round prospect. Other late Day One/early Day Two prospects on the interior line could include Ohio State's Doug Datish, WVU's Dan Mozes, Hawaii's Samson Satele, and NC State's Leroy Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Nick -
    Mom and I have been talking about our needs in the draft this spring. The way we see it, we think this is probably the way we should pick (in order of need, barring losses to free agency/trades):

1. DE
    2. LB
    3. The Hulk's little brother, to learn LT, LG, and C (T backup, but able to fill in at LG or C)
    4. Safety (for depth)
    5. CB (for depth)
    6. Tall WR
    7. QB, in case Gus joins AARP
    8. RB, change of pace

Tawn seems to think FA will fill our other needs better than the draft. I'm not sure I agree. I'd like to see a punter taken late, someone Turk could work with, maybe double as a ST player. I'd like to see more emphasis on the D line, and I am not convinced of the need for a QB.

What's your take on this?
    If I had to rank our needs right now, I'd probably go...

1. DT/NT - I think our biggest need is a big guy who's going to clog the running lanes, hold his ground at the line of scrimmage, and free up our LBs to make plays.

2. DE - Someone who can start opposite of Little and can defend both the run and the pass; I don't want a "one or the other" kind of guy who is either a great pass rusher or a good run defender but is weak in the other area.

3. MLB/SLB - Some might rank this higher but I think our LB group improves instantly if we upgrade our D-line. That being said, our first choice could still be a linebacker because the draft is all about matching need with value IMO and a linebacker could present the best value.

4. G/C - I'm sorry, but I'm just not confident with Romberg going into 2007. At least not confident enough to not try and provide some competition here. As for guard, I'd like to see us open the checkbook and sign a talented veteran guard (best case scenario = Steinbach) to pair with Pace on the left side. Then we could move Setterstrom to RG and have him compete with Incognito, because I think both of these guys could benefit from pushing each other.

5. S - Atogwe has come on strong in the end but I'm still worried about his consistency. I'm not sure I've seen enough from Jerome Carter to feel like he can't be upgraded. This has fallen on my list of needs but that doesn't mean I would be opposed to the Rams addressing it.

6. WR - If Curtis leaves, I think we're going to have to bring someone in from somewhere. Free agency might be nice, especially if we can find someone familiar with Linehan's system. But the draft is also an option.

Ultimately I could see us addressing starters at DE and LG in free agency, maybe defensive tackle and linebacker as well. But I don't think we're going to make a major free agent LB signing, and I'm not convinced there's a DT out there that's going to solve all of our problems, though a big bodied guy like Oakland's Terdell Sands could contribute in a rotation in our run defense. However I'm not opposed to drafting DT either, and I have my eye on Tennessee's Justin Harrell if he's healthy after bicep surgery. As for LB, Willis in the first round would be ideal, but if Timmons has a good workout, I think he becomes an option as well. Both project well as strong side 'backers, and ultimately I think we have a better chance finding a future/long-term starter here than we do in the free agent crop.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever View Post
    Who do you think would be a good choice to add depth on the Oline on the Second day of the draft?

Who is the Best PR going into the draft?
    I mentioned a few interior line prospects in response to HUbison. I expect WVU's Dan Mozes and NC State's Leroy Harris to be second day picks, though if Mozes is viewed as a scheme player he may fall quite a bit. Kyle Young's stock has been falling like a rock because of academic issues but he's probably still a late Day One/early Day Two guy. Another guy to keep an eye on is Dustin Fry of Clemson, who will likely impress scouts at the NFL combine if he can duplicate his 36 reps of 225. A lot of these guys also either have experience at guard or could play there as well, but some additional names to consider as developmental linemen include Tim Duckworth of Auburn, Marshall Yanda of Iowa, Mansfield Wrotto of Georgia Tech, and Kurt Quarterman of Louisville.

To answer the second question first, it's hard to say who the absolute best returners are in this draft. Many good college return men won't make it in the pros unless they're also promising at their primary position, and there will be some guys who have the athleticism to return punts or kicks well but didn't get the opportunity in college. That being said, guys like Steve Breaston, Ted Ginn, Aaron Ross, Tom Zbikowski, and even Chris Davis are guys who have had productive seasons returning punts and could fill that role at the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    With our current draft pick and presuming that the order before us stays the same, do you think it would be more productive if we drafted a hard hitting mlb and move spoon to the outside in the first, or if we drafted a large lane clogger? And if you take one do you then take the other in the second round?
    LB and DT are definitely two needs we either need to address in free agency or early in the draft. My latest Day One projection for the Rams has us looking at LB Patrick Willis in round one and DT Justin Harrell in round two, both of whom fill the roles you're describing IMO.

But when it comes to "Should we address this position or that position in the first?" questions, it all comes down to who's available and the value. We could address any position we want whenever we want to do it, but it's important to consider where you have the player graded and whether or not he's good value where you're selecting him. And if he's not, you have to consider whether or not you can trade down and get him later where he is better value while also acquiring extra picks. There's nothing wrong with wanting to address a certain position in one round, another position in a later round, and so on. But obviously you always have to be flexible and willing to adjust your plan depending on what's there.

As it stands right now, I simply think taking Willis at 13 would provide better value for us than taking a defensive tackle in that spot. If stocks change and guys rise and fall through workouts as they frequently do, maybe that changes. On one hand, if you like a guy and he's the guy you want, you can make a case that it doesn't matter where you take him because you'll have him. But on the other hand, if you can trade down and acquire an extra pick while still getting your guy, you obviously come out better and are able to do more to help your team overall. Either way, a MLB/SLB and a run-defending DT should definitely be priorities, IMO.

Here's another:

Nick,

At the start of the season, most had UM's Brandon Merriweather as a sure first round pick. Then, after a disappointing season marred by his involvement in a shooting incident and an on-field fight, he fell from grace.

How far do you think he has fallen and, with a good workout, do you see him rising back into the first round?

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Draftnick,

Will the Rams sign any free agents before the draft or wait til after the draft?

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Here's my question,

Where do you think Dan Bazuin from Central Michigan would be selected? 2nd or 3rd round? He had amazing stats last season. 11 sacks in the recent season and in the 2005 season, he had 16 sacks with 26.5 tackles for loses.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Okie Doke, Nicholas

How much has LaMarr Woodley bennefited from playng next to Alan Branch these last few years, and how does it affect his stock?

He may be a good player in his own right, but do you see his stock rising or falling due to this?

LARAM is offline Registered User

With the talk of Kevin Curtis leaving.......What do you think of a possible trade with lets say San Diego....(Kevin Curtis for their low 1st round pick).....then lets say picking Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU for a replacement ?

Or would it be better to go DEFENSE this early if a trade were to go down at all?

test message

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    At the start of the season, most had UM's Brandon Merriweather as a sure first round pick. Then, after a disappointing season marred by his involvement in a shooting incident and an on-field fight, he fell from grace.

How far do you think he has fallen and, with a good workout, do you see him rising back into the first round?
    I don't think workouts are going to elevate this guy as much as interviews might. Everyone knows that Meriweather is a great athlete and is very versatile in the secondary.

The question is going to be his maturity and behavior. If he comes into the interviews and gives coaches the impression that he's learned from his experiences and has turned a corner he might help his stock. But if he comes off cocky and arrogant like Jimmy Williams did in his interviews in 2005, he'll hurt himself even more.

All that said, I think someone takes Meriweather in the middle or bottom of round two simply because his talent will be considered too good to pass up, and there are definitely teams who are willing to overlook character concerns and red flags if it means bringing in a talented player.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0
    Will the Rams sign any free agents before the draft or wait til after the draft?
    The free agency period begins the second week of March, so yeah, the Rams are going to make at least some kind of splash in free agency before the draft comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever
    Where do you think Dan Bazuin from Central Michigan would be selected? 2nd or 3rd round? He had amazing stats last season. 11 sacks in the recent season and in the 2005 season, he had 16 sacks with 26.5 tackles for loses.
    I think he's a third round prospect at this point but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the second or fourth rounds. His workout is going to be a big factor for him IMO, especially if some teams still look at him as a potential 3-4 OLB. He's not a speed rusher but that doesn't mean he can't get to the quarterback (28 sacks in the last two seasons). He's strong at the point of attack and is a very intelligent person as well. He strikes me as an end who is good at just about everything but perhaps not dominant in any one area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq
    How much has LaMarr Woodley bennefited from playng next to Alan Branch these last few years, and how does it affect his stock?

He may be a good player in his own right, but do you see his stock rising or falling due to this?
    That's one of the big question marks about Woodley, though it's hard to ignore his production even if he was freed up a bit by Branch in the middle. I think if he works out at linebacker and shows he's capable of being a 3-4 OLB who can rush the passer from a standing position and show some agility for coverage, he solidifies his stock in the mid first because he'll give 3-4 teams another option. There are a lot of teams in the mid to late first that could like a player like Woodley, including Pittsburgh, Cincy, New England, and the NY Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by LARAM
    With the talk of Kevin Curtis leaving.......What do you think of a possible trade with lets say San Diego....(Kevin Curtis for their low 1st round pick).....then lets say picking Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU for a replacement ?

Or would it be better to go DEFENSE this early if a trade were to go down at all?
    I don't think anyone's trading a first round pick for Kevin Curtis. He has blazing speed and has shown ability but hasn't been a starter and is going to be 29-years-old. Besides, we have no way to trade him. He's a free agent in March so we'd have to somehow get him under contract to be able to trade him to someone else. Slapping the franchise tag on him has a high risk of backfiring.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-05-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast