Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Re: Ask the DraftNICK! (Version 1.0)

Nick,

When do you think small school quarterbacks Kevin Kolb of Houston, Jordan Palmer of UTEP, and Tyler palko of Pitt will go?
    Last edited by rams_fan81; -01-07-2007 at 08:55 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick,

Jeff Wilkins will be going into his 14th season and will be 35 years old when the 2007 season starts.

Matt Turk will be going into his 13th season and will be 37 years old when the 2007 season starts.

They both had very nice 2006 campaigns.

When will the Rams start looking at those 2 areas??

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Nick,

Jeff Wilkins will be going into his 14th season and will be 35 years old when the 2007 season starts.

Matt Turk will be going into his 13th season and will be 37 years old when the 2007 season starts.

They both had very nice 2006 campaigns.

I'm not Nick, but my opinion on the next K and P.......when those guys announce their retirement or sign elsewhere, then we start looking for their replacements. Kickers and Punters aren't like other position players, they don't have to be "groomed". They can (and should) come in as a rookie and start.

When Wilkens and Turk (if he re-signs) hang it up or can't cut it, we should start looking for fresh legs, but not until.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Agreed HUbison, there's no complex level after college football that takes these kids 2 years to learn in the kicking game.

Ramsfan-Those aren't small school quarterbacks, small school would be Williams & Mary. The only one out of your group that has a chance of going first day is Kolb of Houston, if he makes it it'll be by the skin of his teeth. He played in a pass first spread offense similar to Hawaii, but not that extreme so his stats are a little inflated he has the potential to be a good quarterback given a good coach.

Jordan Palmer (yes, brother to Carson) is a prototype Quarterback with the size and the arm but can't read defenses to well and has poor decision making. Along with that he has selective accuracy in his throws. Not that he can choose to put the ball anywhere, but he decides when to be accurate. He has the size and girth of Brady Quinn and Drew Stanton but not the mindset and lacks some mechanicals. Someone will take a chance on him because he is Carson's brother.

Tyler Palko could turn out to be the best of the bunch if he's drafted. Palko has been inconsistant the last 2 years with Palko at the helm, could be good, could be bad. Pitt didn't get a bowl game this year. Palko lost his best weapon and a sure fire first round wide reciever last year when Greg Lee skipped for the draft. He's now flipping burgers after a failed stint with the Cardinals. He was the best weapon they had and now they have no one. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Charles Spencer was their center that they lost too. Anywho, Palko showed flashes, not a really strong arm but strong enough. He's accurate more often than Palmer, and I think he has great football/field awareness. Also to note Palko is a left hander. Drafted Round 5-putting the buns on the burgers Lee flips.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    When do you think small school quarterbacks Kevin Kolb of Houston, Jordan Palmer of UTEP, and Tyler palko of Pitt will go?
    They all strike me as second day prospects, though as RA said, Kolb has a chance of sneaking into the first if he can convince teams he's not a system quarterback. Kolb benefits from being athletic enough to throw on the run and take off if nothing's open in front of him. He has a pretty good arm but decision making, ability to throw the deep ball, and adjustment to the pro game are going to be questions for NFL scouts that ultimately might cause him to fall to the second day. My impression though is that a number of fans think of him as a potential sleeper quarterback in this class, though.

Despite having the ideal size you look for in a signal caller, UTEP's Jordan Palmer is no where near the player his brother Carson is. His decision making is very questionable (51 interceptions in his last three seasons), leading some to question his field vision. He moves well in the pocket but isn't much of a threat taking off and running. He could be a nice project for a coach willing to take the time to try and mold him into a smarter player, and he may get selected earlier than his résumé would suggest based on his pedigree. But I see him as a mid second day guy.

As a WVU fan, I really don't like Tyler Palko. I hear him complimented as a leader by some, which strikes me as funny because every time I watch a Pitt game I see Palko screaming at his teammates when they make a mistake. That being said, he has a fairly good arm with good velocity, displays good ability to take heat off of his passes when needed, has enough mobility to move when necessary though I don't think he throws particularly well on the run. He lacks ideal height for the position and I'm not sure how well he sees the field. Strikes me as another mid second day guy, maybe fifth round as RA said.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    When Wilkens and Turk (if he re-signs) hang it up or can't cut it, we should start looking for fresh legs, but not until.
    I'm pretty much with HUb on this one. Neither of these positions are the kind where you need to bring someone in to groom prior to your current starter leaving. It's an area we can address when Wilkins/Turk actually leave.

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Charles Spencer was their center that they lost too.
    I believe he moved to guard in 2004 and then to tackle in 2005. I don't know that he ever played center for Pitt.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

what happened to Jimmy Williams? i about this time last year he was talked about as a guy the Rams would probably pick. Shows what a bad interview can do for you i suppose

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Nick,

I was wondering about this a lot, After a horrible performance by Troy Smith last night against Florida, Where do you think he will get drafted? He was sacked around 5 times, 4-14 for a little amount of yards and an INT... I was just wondering this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Nick,
    what do you think of michael bush entering the draft? where do you think he'll end up and do you think the rams would have a need for his talents if he dropped in the later rounds...

Country is offline Registered User

Nick I have a question for you, I will give you two options and tell me which one you would take.

1. Trade up and grab DT Alan Branch?

or

2. Stay at 13 and pick the best DL prospect left on the board?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    what happened to Jimmy Williams? i about this time last year he was talked about as a guy the Rams would probably pick. Shows what a bad interview can do for you i suppose
    Indeed, he had a pretty poor individual workout by all accounts, and was absolutely horrible in interviews. Very cocky and arrogant, and it cost him. The Falcons like him though as a future starter next to DeAngelo Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever View Post
    I was wondering about this a lot, After a horrible performance by Troy Smith last night against Florida, Where do you think he will get drafted? He was sacked around 5 times, 4-14 for a little amount of yards and an INT... I was just wondering this.
    Smith is a second or third rounder, IMO. Prior to the game, I had him as an early second rounder who could sneak into the first to a team like Baltimore. I don't think his bowl game performance dropped him too much, because he didn't get much help from his line and was missing his best WR. But even when he got protection it didn't seem like he was very accurate with his throws. He certainly didn't elevate his stock or show me any kind of inspiring leadership like Young did last year in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    what do you think of michael bush entering the draft? where do you think he'll end up and do you think the rams would have a need for his talents if he dropped in the later rounds...
    Barring some kind of disappointing workout, Bush will drop no later than Pittsburgh or Atlanta's second round pick IMO. I would be shocked if he slipped by them, and realistically with a good workout, he could go in the very late first; I'm not sure it's likely but I wouldn't rule it out. I think there are a number of early to mid second round teams that could look his way, but Pittsburgh and Atlanta make the most sense to me. So with that being said, I wouldn't suggest the Rams using their second round pick on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    Nick I have a question for you, I will give you two options and tell me which one you would take.

1. Trade up and grab DT Alan Branch?

or

2. Stay at 13 and pick the best DL prospect left on the board?
    Well I wouldn't trade up for Branch, because you'd have to move up to the 2nd overall pick to ensure that you're going to get him, and the cost would simply be too much. So out of those two options, I'd take #2, though I don't think it's a lock that we go defensive line in round one.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Nick, if Colt Brennan of Hawaii was to declare, where do you think he would rank in the quarterback pecking order? I know he flew under the radar, but he had an absolute monster season against some pretty good competition, including Arizona State in the Hawaii Bowl who he torched for 5 of his 58 touchdown passes this year.

That's an extreme hypothetical situation because he's already said he's coming back. Wouldn't trade up for Branch either. There's going to be plenty of talent on the defensive side of the ball. I'd love to trade up for Adams though, I love him.

That's an extreme hypothetical situation because he's already said he's coming back.
    He also left the door open by saying "you'd have to consider (applying for the draft). That doesn't mean I'd go, but you'd have to consider it."

Did he? I heard him say he wants to throw 60 TDs for Hawaii next year. Regardless no one told Hawaii they can run the football in games now, he passes every down so his stats are inflated like crazy.

Did he? I heard him say he wants to throw 60 TDs for Hawaii next year. Regardless no one told Hawaii they can run the football in games now, he passes every down so his stats are inflated like crazy.
    Well, Hawaii rushed for over 1500 yards this season, but we digress. I'm still interested in what Nick's take on Brennan is.