Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ask the DraftNICK! (Version 1.0)

Brennan filed paperwork to the NFL draft advisory panel in late December to see where they would project him to go, and as of only a few days ago he is quoted as saying, "Right now I don't need to be anywhere else but right down the middle... It's 50-50. I want to see how things pan out." So I definitely wouldn't call that race just yet.

It's always hard to gauge where juniors could go in the draft if they declare, though. If Brennan should declare for 2007, I think he'd be a mid to late first day pick. He'd probably be in a competition to be among the top of the second tier of quarterback prospects (Stanton, Smith, Edwards, Kolb). His biggest challenge will obviously be proving he can succeed outside of that Hawaii system, though I think there are plenty of people who look at him and see a legitimate quarterback prospect.

Country is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Brennan filed paperwork to the NFL draft advisory panel in late December to see where they would project him to go, and as of only a few days ago he is quoted as saying, "Right now I don't need to be anywhere else but right down the middle... It's 50-50. I want to see how things pan out." So I definitely wouldn't call that race just yet.

It's always hard to gauge where juniors could go in the draft if they declare, though. If Brennan should declare for 2007, I think he'd be a mid to late first day pick. He'd probably be in a competition to be among the top of the second tier of quarterback prospects (Stanton, Smith, Edwards, Kolb). His biggest challenge will obviously be proving he can succeed outside of that Hawaii system, though I think there are plenty of people who look at him and see a legitimate quarterback prospect.
    Nick, If the Rams decide to go defensive line in the first what would you prefer a trade up for Alan BRanch or stay put and take the best available?

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    Nick, If the Rams decide to go defensive line in the first what would you prefer a trade up for Alan BRanch or stay put and take the best available?
    I think I covered this one earlier in a previous response...

"Well I wouldn't trade up for Branch, because you'd have to move up to the 2nd overall pick to ensure that you're going to get him, and the cost would simply be too much. So out of those two options, I'd take #2, though I don't think it's a lock that we go defensive line in round one."

Country is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think I covered this one earlier in a previous response...

"Well I wouldn't trade up for Branch, because you'd have to move up to the 2nd overall pick to ensure that you're going to get him, and the cost would simply be too much. So out of those two options, I'd take #2, though I don't think it's a lock that we go defensive line in round one."
    Sorry if I missed your earlier response.

Whet if Branch is sitting at 6 where the Redskins pick, the Redskins are desperate for picks, would you package some picks and move up to 6 to get Branch?

Too me I would move to get him, he is the best defensive player in my opinion since Peppers.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Sorry if I missed your earlier response.

Whet if Branch is sitting at 6 where the Redskins pick, the Redskins are desperate for picks, would you package some picks and move up to 6 to get Branch?

Too me I would move to get him, he is the best defensive player in my opinion since Peppers.
    Just FYI, according to the charts, that trade would cost us our 1st and 2nd round picks, approximately.

Not giving my opinion, just quantifying the deal a little.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

the Redskins are desperate for picks
    If they valued draft picks they probably wouldn't trade their's away as often as they do. It seems the Redskins strategy is to spend big money on free agents and not put as much emphasis on the draft. Even if they somehow change tactics, I wouldn't count on them trading down this year if they have a shot at either Branch or Anderson.

I'm undecided about trading up if it's going to cost us an additional first day pick. I think when you look at the needs on this team combined with the talent in this draft class on the defensive side, I'd prefer to keep our day one picks at this point.

LARAM is offline Registered User

What do you think of LSU's (Jesse Daniels, DB) as mid to late round pick..... Where is he projected to go in the draft

and at what round would he be the best value to the Rams......I think he would be great for depth and could definately start in nickle packages. I think he is one to keep a quiet eye on.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Anyone help or hurt their stock with the all star games that recently took place?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Nick, do you scout high school kids for the colleges or do you just scout college kids for the pros?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by LARAM View Post
    What do you think of LSU's (Jesse Daniels, DB) as mid to late round pick..... Where is he projected to go in the draft

and at what round would he be the best value to the Rams......I think he would be great for depth and could definately start in nickle packages. I think he is one to keep a quiet eye on.
    Daniels is a late round pick or undrafted free agent right now, IMO. Lacks great size for a safety, doesn't have great speed for the position so his ability to play man to man is in question, and it sounds like he's got some issues when in deep coverage. Probably a good depth/special teams player but he'd be low on my list for the secondary, especially since we have Bartell manning the nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Anyone help or hurt their stock with the all star games that recently took place?
    There's a lot of talk about Ikaika Alama-Francis (DE, Hawaii) who played in the Hula Bowl. He debuted on Kiper's big board not too long ago and had a couple people scratching their head, but it seems Mel was on target with this one. Supposedly he looked very good out there, and right now looks like a Day One pick as a potential 3-4 end.

I admit though that I didn't get a chance to watch the game for myself except for the last few minutes of the fourth quarter, as I was taking in the season premiere of 24. But if I hear any more buzz about stock risings or fallings from the game I'll post them.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Nick, do you scout high school kids for the colleges or do you just scout college kids for the pros?
    The only high school recruiting I try to keep track of is for WVU. I just don't think I have the time to really get as involved in it as I do the college prospects.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

do you honestly see Calvin Johnson going in the top 3 this year?? he had some monster games, but then he had games where he didnt do anything.. i think dwayne jarrett is a better prospect personally

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    do you honestly see Calvin Johnson going in the top 3 this year?? he had some monster games, but then he had games where he didnt do anything.. i think dwayne jarrett is a better prospect personally
    Without a doubt Calvin Johnson is the better prospect of the two IMO. His college production is quite good and would have been much better with a competent quarterback throwing to him (see: Gator Bowl). He has a legit shot of being the first receiver selected first overall since Keyshawn Johnson in 1996.

Drew is offline Registered User

nick,

although i think paul smith and madison hedgecock are decent players with the both of them being pretty banged up during most of the season and in the case of smith pretty much since he entered the NFL!
    id like to see us draft a good young bull of a FB to hopefully have a long and fruitful partnership with Jackson!

who do you see as the top prospects and when in the draft do you see them being drafted??

cheers
    Drew

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Nick,
    I know its early but im curious could u give me your opinion who you think we will draft, players not just possision.Our first 5 picks maybee??if more that would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    although i think paul smith and madison hedgecock are decent players with the both of them being pretty banged up during most of the season and in the case of smith pretty much since he entered the NFL!
    id like to see us draft a good young bull of a FB to hopefully have a long and fruitful partnership with Jackson!

who do you see as the top prospects and when in the draft do you see them being drafted??
    Good question. The top fullback prospect is undoubtedly Brian Leonard of Rutgers, but he's more so the top prospect because of his ability to fill a number of roles. I'd say he reminds me in some ways of Alstott, but he's not quite the lead blocker. His best fit may be with a team that utilizes a committee in the backfield and is in need of a tough aggressive runner, but Leonard is very versatile and should be the only Day One fullback.

Perhaps the best lead blocking fullback in this draft is Tennessee's Cory Anderson. He measures in at 6'3" and 255 pounds, and is a converted defensive lineman. Shows good ability to stay low and then explode aggressively into a block. He's also a good receiver out of the backfield, which would be an intriguing addition for an offense like our's where Bulger is checking down to a RB quite a bit. I would think he'd start getting looks in the fifth round. Interestingly enough we have an extra fifth rounder too...

Quote Originally Posted by 39WillRunYaOva View Post
    I know its early but im curious could u give me your opinion who you think we will draft, players not just possision.Our first 5 picks maybee??if more that would be cool.
    I'll try to get something out this weekend, sure.