Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    jim
    jim is offline Registered User

Re: Ask the DraftNICK! (Version 1.0)

Nick, as the resident draft expert , I expect an accurate and insightfull reply . Do you have as much hair as Mel? Second, it looks like the Rams will have a lot of options. Do you see a large gap between the likes of Carriker, Johnson, Moss, Okoye, etc. Or is it worth the price to try and move up to get Adams or Anderson? Also do you see Carriker being moved on the line depending on situations (DT-DE) and Moss or Johnson playing LB or DE depending on situations? Or , none of the above. Just wondering if these guys have the ability or are "tweeners" in the bad sense of the term. Last, what are your thoughts on Ryan McBean? Thanks

Milan is offline Registered User

Do you think it's wise to go after a defensive back? I have seen a lot of drafts saying that we will draft Landry out of LSU, but I really like Atogwe and I see him developing into a good-great player if he improves his coverage, he's a sure tackler and very clutch in my opinion, so do you think it's wise to go for a DB?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Nick, as the resident draft expert , I expect an accurate and insightfull reply . Do you have as much hair as Mel?
    Yes, but I use less product.

Second, it looks like the Rams will have a lot of options. Do you see a large gap between the likes of Carriker, Johnson, Moss, Okoye, etc. Or is it worth the price to try and move up to get Adams or Anderson?
    I'm not sure how you would define a large gap, but I could see Okoye breaking into the top ten and Carriker right around the 11 spot, whereas Johnson and Moss are probably more late teen to early 20s guys.

Also do you see Carriker being moved on the line depending on situations (DT-DE) and Moss or Johnson playing LB or DE depending on situations?
    I think Moss could very well stand up and play some LB. In fact, he might have to; his size and strength numbers from the combine suggest a possible move to linebacker in the NFL. As for Carriker, I think he could shift inside and play the three-technique as a pass rushing defensive tackle, certainly. I'm not sure I'd draft him with the intention of having him spend a lot of time there, though.

Last, what are your thoughts on Ryan McBean?
    Could go in the third round but might slip to the second day. Looks like he could be a good one-gap under tackle on the inside but also has the potential to play end in the 3-4. He added some weight between the Senior Bowl and combine but still might be better served in a Cover/Tampa 2 defense if he's going to play tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    Do you think it's wise to go after a defensive back?
    If we're going to add a corner, I'd rather do it in free agency. Between Hill, Bartell, and even Atogwe at safety, I think we have enough youth in this secondary. We could benefit from adding a veteran dime 'back at some point, especially if Butler still wants to leave town.

That being said, if pick 13 comes up and Landry is the best player available then he's certainly an option. Atogwe ended the year well but had some pretty shaky moments early on. I don't think he's done enough to completely lock that job up. The benefit of taking a guy like Landry though is that he's very well rounded and could play strong safety as well because of his ability against the run.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

nick, do you see us taking a wr in the 2nd day of the draft lets say if steve smith or hill from washington state falls to the 4th round...??? who do you think will have a better pro career? QUINN OR RUSSELL???

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    nick, do you see us taking a wr in the 2nd day of the draft lets say if steve smith or hill from washington state falls to the 4th round...??? who do you think will have a better pro career? QUINN OR RUSSELL???
    WR on Day Two could certainly be an option. The Rams still need to address their kick/punt returner position, and could probably look for a #4 guy to try and develop. I believe Rams offensive coordinator Greg Olson was at Hill's pro day so he could be an option.

As for Quinn and Russell, it's hard to say. Quinn is going to play sooner and is the safer pick, less of a risk. But he's also less of a reward in the sense that if Russell reaches his full potential, he's going to be the better pro IMO.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Nick, what do you think about the Rams trading down and picking CB Chris Houston? He imo, should go around the mid 20's. He could be a nice compliment to Tye Hill on the other side in the coming years. He is rather small however to match up against some of the bigger WR/TE in our division. Just wondering what you thought about this possibility.

Houston's profile:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...ishouston.html

Dominator is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT View Post
    Nick, what do you think about the Rams trading down and picking CB Chris Houston? He imo, should go around the mid 20's. He could be a nice compliment to Tye Hill on the other side in the coming years. He is rather small however to match up against some of the bigger WR/TE in our division. Just wondering what you thought about this possibility.

Houston's profile:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...ishouston.html
    Mid 20's? I don't think so. If you trade down to the mid 20's you'll probably have no shot at Houston. Probably looking at McCauley or Revis down there.

Country is offline Registered User

Chris Houston is 2 inches and 145lbs. to small to play NT.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT View Post
    Nick, what do you think about the Rams trading down and picking CB Chris Houston?
    I think I saw all I needed to see of the "Trade Down and Pick a Corner" strategy in last year's draft. That worked out fine, but why do we do it again? Especially for another 5'9" cornerback? Personally I wouldn't consider it much of a possibility at all.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

jim
    jim is offline Registered User

Nick, is it just me or don't you find it disconcerting that at the number 13 pick a team has to scramble to find a player that will be a "difference maker"?
    Considering the money you must pay because of "slotting", the impact the player is likely to make because of his position and the real needs of the Rams, do you or do you not feel they would be better off trying to move up or down? By the way your lovely parting gift of a years supply of Proceed are in the mail I think. Thanks

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Nick, do you think that if we land someone like Okoye who is more of a pass rushing defensive tackle on day one that we might go after someone like Paul Soliai who is a more traditonal run stuffing defensive lineman later on in the draft like on day two? And vice versa.

do you or do you not feel they would be better off trying to move up or down?
    Depends on how players are coming off the board. Kind of a cop out answer, but at 13 I think we have a very good shot at getting a good defensive talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Nick, do you think that if we land someone like Okoye who is more of a pass rushing defensive tackle on day one that we might go after someone like Paul Soliai who is a more traditonal run stuffing defensive lineman later on in the draft like on day two? And vice versa.
    I would assume we would have to. Based on who we've been looking at, it would appear the coaching staff doesn't seem all that confident in either tackle position.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Nick, I know you have a good idea who will be taken first in the draft. My question is who will be "Mr. Irrelevant"? Can you give me five names thay might be that pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Nick, I know you have a good idea who will be taken first in the draft. My question is who will be "Mr. Irrelevant"? Can you give me five names thay might be that pick?
    Completely impossible to say. There will be well over 200 NFL rookies selected in the draft, but the number of prospects available for selection is infinitely greater. It's hard enough trying to project with any accuracy the names and locations of the guys who will go in the first and second rounds. Extending that to the very last pick would basically be like picking a name from a hat. You could probably point to just about any of the lower rated Day Two prospects and make a case of them having as good a chance as any of the others. Not really much of an answer, but the deeper you get into the draft order, the more difficult any kind of prognostication becomes.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Nick,

Do you have any favorites among the linebackers that can fit into our scheme as a SAM and compete with Brandon Chillar for the starting position? Any opinions on NU's Stewart Bradley as a possible candidate there?

:l

-jake-