Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ask the DraftNICK! (Version 1.0)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man View Post
    Do you have any favorites among the linebackers that can fit into our scheme as a SAM and compete with Brandon Chillar for the starting position? Any opinions on NU's Stewart Bradley as a possible candidate there?
    Stewart Bradley is a very good SAM linebacker prospect who could go as early as mid round two. He's really made a strong impression in the post-season workouts, and I don't think I've read one report of him disappointing anyone anywhere. My favorite LB prospect in this class is Lawrence Timmons who came in shorter than expected at the combine but, because of his upper body strength and coevrage skills, I still believe has the ability to play on the strong size at the next level. That being said, I doubt the Rams draft a LB in the first two rounds, maybe not even the first day, after signing Chris Draft.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

jim
    jim is offline Registered User

Nick, I am wondering what you are hearing about the Francis kid from Hawaii? Is he a first day pick? Also, do you know what side the three or four top rated DEs play or if it would matter to the Rams? Thanks

Rambos is offline Registered User

Nick question. We are set pretty much except for DT/NT. If we take Carriker with the first pick, because both, Okoye, Branch are gone.

What would it take to move up for another late 1st round pick? To grab Tank or Harrell…

That would be a great first day, what would it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Nick, I am wondering what you are hearing about the Francis kid from Hawaii? Is he a first day pick?
    Kind of concerns me simply because he wasn't noticed much at all until Kiper pointed him out, and then everyone jumped on him. That's not to suggest he isn't a good player, because it could just be a story of a guy who didn't get a lot of coverage due to his school. I'm curious as to where he ultimately fits in terms of weight, because he's added quite a bit of it in the last couple of years. He was a 220-lbs basketball player in 2002, was up to 250 pounds in 2005, and is now at 280 pounds. Personally I see him going to a 3-4 team anywhere from the mid second round to the early third.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Also, do you know what side the three or four top rated DEs play or if it would matter to the Rams? Thanks
    It all depends. My understanding of the traditional alignment is that you want your better pass rusher @ RDE so he's lining up on the quarterback's blindside while the stronger LDE lines up over the right tackle and potentially the tight end.

However the lines are definitely blurred and I'm not sure there's as much weight to these two criteria anymore. I suspect for most teams it's just a matter of complimenting what they already have established at one position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Nick question. We are set pretty much except for DT/NT. If we take Carriker with the first pick, because both, Okoye, Branch are gone.

What would it take to move up for another late 1st round pick? To grab Tank or Harrell…

That would be a great first day, what would it cost?
    Let's assume for the time being that the earliest you'd have to move up is pick #32, the last pick in the first round. To move up from our second rounder to that pick, it would likely cost our second, third, and fifth round picks. You could likely take one of those latter two picks out and offer a future pick, but we'd be moving up 20 slots so it's going to cost a lot.

Then, if you consider that for a guy like Harrell you may have to move up even higher, it suddenly becomes more expensive. There's a reasonable chance Tank Tyler falls into the early to mid second round, maybe even to our second round pick, so I wouldn't spend an arm and a leg trading up for him. Not sure I'd do it to begin with.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Nickster...any chance that Detroit drafts Adrian Peterson? He's a top 3 value and its not like they couldn't use a top-flight RB with whatshisface injured all the time.

I know its unlikely, but it occurred to me that it maybe wasn't impossible.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Nickster...any chance that Detroit drafts Adrian Peterson? He's a top 3 value and its not like they couldn't use a top-flight RB with whatshisface injured all the time.

I think they picked up Tatum Bell and TJ Duckett this offseason, as well, this offseason. Agreed, that doesn't preclude Peterson, though.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post

Possible but IMO rather unlikely. His injury history may end up making those top teams a little hesitant of him, and as HUb pointed out, Detroit already has a crowded backfield. They traded for Tatum Bell, and even though there's buzz they may trade him, they also have TJ Duckett, Brian Calhoun (who was a Day One pick), Aveion Cason, and Shawn Bryson (who may be playing FB). Maybe they look for a more long-term solutino in 2008 if Jones can't stay healthy, but I don't see it in round one this year.

general counsel is offline Registered User

its going to be awful hard on martz to pass on calvin johnson, but i really believe that detroit will make the safe pick and take the offensive lineman thomas. That is if they cant get paid a ton to trade down.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

moving up 20 slots so it's going to cost a lot.
    Jon Alston 3rd, Byrd 3rd, Victor 4th round, Hagen 5th round, I would give all these guys up for one solid NT. Would you? Knowing we just took Adam Carriker DE at 13.

It seems like alot and it is,but what did we get with these picks?

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    its going to be awful hard on martz to pass on calvin johnson, but i really believe that detroit will make the safe pick and take the offensive lineman thomas. That is if they cant get paid a ton to trade down.
    Maybe, maybe not. Personally I have a hard time seeing Thomas as the pick given that they traded for George Foster, a starting caliber right tackle, and have Jeff Backus signed long-term to a very expensive contract. If they draft Thomas, where does he play?

If the Lions are going strictly BPA, then the pick will be Johnson. If they don't want to go another WR for past reasons, I'm leaning towards Quinn right now. Adams is a possibility but it's likely too high for him at that point. I think Detroit would above all things prefer a trade down.

Quote Originally Posted by Facing-The-Giant View Post
    nick, could the rams shock everybody and draft an o lineman in the 1st?
    Slim. Unless we've given up on Alex Barron, I don't see it happening. Bulger's comments last season were strong, but I'm not sure they were THAT strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Jon Alston 3rd, Byrd 3rd, Victor 4th round, Hagen 5th round, I would give all these guys up for one solid NT. Would you? Knowing we just took Adam Carriker DE at 13.

It seems like alot and it is,but what did we get with these picks?
    The only one that has any kind of trade value would be Adeyanju and it wouldn't be much. Alston hasn't played, Byrd has been in legal trouble, and anyone who wanted Hagans could have signed him from our practice squad last year. Maybe you could substitute Alston or Adeyanju in there, but it wouldn't be for much value.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-02-2007 at 02:29 PM.

Dominator is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The only one that has any kind of trade value would be Adeyanju and it wouldn't be much. Alston hasn't played, Byrd has been in legal trouble, and anyone who wanted Hagans could have signed him from our practice squad last year. Maybe you could substitute Alston or Adeyanju in there, but it wouldn't be for much value.
    Not to answer for the guy, but I think his point was that he'd rather have that one big pick than two thirds a fourth and a fifth. Looking back at who you have he'd rather have Carriker than the mid round picks because he thinks you'll only end up with guys like Byrd, Hagens or Adeyanju.

Thing is, I don't see moving up for Carriker to play him at the nose. Maybe if you were in love with Okoye or Branch...

Not to answer for the guy, but I think his point was that he'd rather have that one big pick than two thirds a fourth and a fifth. Looking back at who you have he'd rather have Carriker than the mid round picks because he thinks you'll only end up with guys like Byrd, Hagens or Adeyanju.
    Thats it thanks.

Thing is, I don't see moving up for Carriker to play him at the nose. Maybe if you were in love with Okoye or Branch...
    I'm looking to grab a DT late in the first after we get Carriker at 13.

It depends on what your philosophy is, I guess. I think successful teams become successful by building through not just first round picks but those late rounders as well. Packing numerous later picks to move back up and take another first rounder is putting a lot of eggs in one basket. If that first round pick doesn't work out, then we've basically wasted 3-4 picks rather than just the one. It's not really a strategy I would recommend unless someone we really like falls unexpectedly.

Sorry for misunderstanding the question. Hopefully this response works.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Shows you how much attention I pay to other teams (i.e., the Lions). Thanks for the reply.

Nick, here is what I am thinking. We have a window, with Holt,Bruce, Jackson and Marc. Not much time with Bruce and Holt's not getting younger. With the O we have now. Why not take a shot to get the D front 7 set. If we can get the D to play average or better we have a real shot right now.

On the flip side maybe a 6th or 7th round DT breaks out. I said early we would not get a NT until next year, you said we can't wait. I agree, we have to get one this year. Some way some how....