Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rampage39 is offline Registered User

Re: Ask the DraftNick (Volume II)

hey nick, how are you taking that miracle shot by texas to knock your mountaineers out of the tourney?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Very, very poorly. I thought once Pittsnogle hit his three, that we were destined to come back and take this game. My buddy and I had ordered take out and were watching the game in my apartment because the sports bars downtown were overcrowded, and I think we woke up my whole building cheering after Pittsnogle sunk that three only to go dead silent when Texas hit their shot. Unbelievable finish. Probably the best I've seen this entire tourney except for maybe Northwestern State's buzzer beater.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Nick I have 2 questions.

1) What do you think about maybe in the 6th Round or 7th our as an Undrafted Free Agent drafting Jovon Johnson to be KR/PR/CB.

His stats:

2005 Punt Returning
    13 returns 226 yards 17.4 average 1 TD 90 yard long
    And also he has 17 CAREER INTERCEPTIONS. He wouldn't be a bad late round draft pick IMO.

2) What about Bruce Eugene QB from Grambling State? He had 56 TDs PASSING THIS YEAR! 56 TDS and 6 INTs. WOuldn't be a bad late round pick eh?
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...players/18257/
    RamsFan16

bruce4life is offline Registered User

damn 56 td's that phenominal!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    1) What do you think about maybe in the 6th Round or 7th our as an Undrafted Free Agent drafting Jovon Johnson to be KR/PR/CB.
    Undrafted free agent; I don't think I would spend a pick on him. He has limited upside for the next level. 5'7" 178 pounds, and while typically most small guys make up for a lack of height with good speed and athleticism, Johnson's measurables are marginal at best.

At Iowa's pro day, he ran a 4.61 forty, did seven reps of 225, had a 36 inch vertical, and ran a shuttle of 4.43 seconds. None of those are good for a cornerback, and unfortunately, Johnson really doesn't have anything close to ideal size for the safety position at the next level.

I don't doubt his character and attitude as being top notch, and in the right kind of scheme, he might be an effective situational defender in dime packages. He's physical and supports the run fairly well. He has good hands for the interception, but again, probably saw a lot of balls thrown his way as teams tested him.

I just don't see anything there worth spending a pick on in this class. Bring him in as an undrafted free agent if he makes it out of Day Two, and let him compete. But I'd rather see our draft picks be used elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    2) What about Bruce Eugene QB from Grambling State? He had 56 TDs PASSING THIS YEAR! 56 TDS and 6 INTs. WOuldn't be a bad late round pick eh?
    We have two project QBs on the roster right now in Fitzpatrick and Smoker. We don't need to spend a draft pick on another one, especially one that's 6'0" and 260 pounds.

Guys out of Texas Tech and Hawaii have put up amazing college numbers as well, but there's a reason you don't see many of them as top prospects. Stats can be great, but don't fall in love with them.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Thanks nick. But my bad I forgot how bad Johnson did at Pro Day or I wouldn't have asked. Sorry but thanks for answering!
    RamsFan16

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Nick,

I'm curious if Deuce Lutui draft status has changed?
    Where do you see him on the draft board?

We could always use depth on the O-line.

jsramer is offline Registered User

Nick,
    What are your thoughts on Tim Day, TE, Oregon; Jeff King, TE, VA Tech; and Tony Scheffler, TE, Western Michigan. Could these guys fit what the Rams need as a low round option?
    Also staying with the low rounds, what are your thoughts on Troy Reddick of Auburn and Will Allen of Texas for guards; both are big guys with what I hear is good strength.

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan
    Nick,

I'm curious if Deuce Lutui draft status has changed?
    Where do you see him on the draft board?

We could always use depth on the O-line.
    I see Taitusi Lutui as a mid or late second round pick. Some have him graded in the late first territory, but I think that's based more on hype than anything. I've actually seen him in some projections in the top 20. I'm not really buying it. I don't think he's a better prospect than Davin Joseph, Jean-Gilles, or Charles Spencer, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by jsramer
    Nick,
    What are your thoughts on Tim Day, TE, Oregon; Jeff King, TE, VA Tech; and Tony Scheffler, TE, Western Michigan. Could these guys fit what the Rams need as a low round option?
    Also staying with the low rounds, what are your thoughts on Troy Reddick of Auburn and Will Allen of Texas for guards; both are big guys with what I hear is good strength.
    I like Jeff King as a blue collar worker that might not have the best measurables but just seems to produce when needed. Tim Day kind of fits that role too, and while he had a bad senior season, I don't think that's necessarily indicative of his skills. Scheffler is a very good receiver, but doesn't bring a whole lot to the table in terms of blocking.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123