throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Asomugha's Raiders deal voided because of missed incentives

By Jason La Canfora

Nnamdi Asomugha isn't under contract with the Oakland Raiders.

Asomugha didn't reach certain incentives, voiding the last year of a three-year, $45.3 million contract and making the three-time Pro Bowl cornerback an unrestricted free agent, a source with knowledge of the deal confirmed Sunday.
    Entering this season, Asomugha had to play more snaps or boost his interception, fumble recovery or sack total from their 2009 levels to keep the last year of the contract. But Asomugha played in just 14 games -- two less than 2009 -- because of an ankle injury, and he didn't post an interception, a fumble recovery or a sack. He also had 19 tackles, 15 fewer than last season.
    The Raiders can't use their franchise tag on Asomugha, 30, because of another clause in the contract, which the cornerback signed in February of 2009.
    Asomugha, a first-round pick (31st overall) by the Raiders in the 2003 NFL Draft, had a breakout season in 2006, posting eight interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown. He has just three interceptions since then, but that can be attributed to opposing teams choosing to throw away from Asomugha.

On a personal note I'd love to have a shut down corner picked up from free agency and contribute with our core of CB's. Let's do it!
    If for no other reason he is a hell of a beast to throw at in Madden and always picks me off or bats ball down lol Let's pick em up!

ava0425 Guest

The Rams' cornerback prayers may be answered... Nnamdi to become free agent!

Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha's contract voided and he will be allowed to become a free agent without the Oakland Raiders being able to use their franchise tag on him, according to an NFL Players Association document.

Asomughaís deal included a little-known clause that said his contract would void if he didnít achieve his not-likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010 -- and he didn'ít.
    His contract also contained a stipulation that if he didnít achieve his incentives, the Raiders would agree not to designate him their franchise or transition player.
    To achieve his incentives, Asomugha had to play in a greater number of defensive plays in 2010 than he did in 2009, and this season Asomugha played in only 14 games whereas he played in all 16 in 2009.
    He also could have achieved his incentives by improving upon on his interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season -- but he didn't have any interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season.
    He will be the top defensive player available whenever free agency begins.
    Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

oh my god. this would be an AMAZING aquisition! Throw all the money at him! Just get him.

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

Re: Asomugha's Raiders deal voided because of missed incentives

I agree 100%, I mean why not?

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams' cornerback prayers may be answered... Nnamdi to become free agent!

Not to be a (I said a bad word) shouldn't this be in NFL talk!!! But anyways, where is the source?

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams' cornerback prayers may be answered... Nnamdi to become free agent!

There's a link on ESPN home page, but yeah, I'd make him an offer if I were the Rams for sure. Hopefully the new owner is eager to spend some money. Picking up a #1 WR and filling the defense with talent like that would go a long way.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Cuts the field in half, would greatly improve our defense.

But it would cost a lot of money, but hey someone is going to sign him, might as well be us!

Side note: I wonder if Murphy could play strong safety? Because a secondary consisting of Nnamdi and Bartell at corners, Fletcher and King at nickel and dime, and OJ and Murphy at safeties, looks first class to me.

Someone slap me, thinking crazy thoughts!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

What makes you think we're going to sign him?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Systemlangstaff Guest

This is a must!!

ava0425 Guest

it's just a hope. nothing more.

Jockelite is offline Registered User

Man that would be amazing but I am having an all to familiar feeling that the Rams would pass up on the opportunity. Lets see what Stan wants to do.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Depends on how much he wants. Our corners aren't so terrible that we need to spend our entire free agent budget on one. OLB, SS, WR are bigger concerns.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

With all the needs we have its gonna definitely going to come down to how much is cost. Don't forget that even if his original asking price is extremely high, its going to get even higher due to all of the teams that will throw offers his way.

Don't think we're the only fans on forums talking about how our team MUST get this guy. 31 other teams.

That being said, we should definitely make an offer, how can you not?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Top 10 player in the league hitting the open market at 29. It would probably take a big 4 or 5 year deal at about 7-8 mil a year similar to Darelle Revis. No player I would rather spend big money on in FA. If Kroenke wants to make a splash signing Asomugha is like 50 sumo wrestlers cannonballing into a Olympic sized. The Rams defense has some above average players, but no elite players yet (still young and developing for the most part).

snackdaddy is offline Registered User

Imagine what a shut down corner can do in a big game. Anyone see the job Derrel Revis did on Reggie Wayne yesterday? Basically kept him out of the game plan by locking him down.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

It is no secret what a shutdown corner can do. The question is do we try blow our free agent budget to upgrade a position from adequate to great, or to upgrade a position from horrific to anything better than horrific, or to upgrade several positions.

The Rams will still be under a budget with Kroenke, he won't give a blank check to Devaney and say "Go wild". Not to mention as a free agent, he'll have teams that are better than the Rams bidding on him. Spags might not think he is a fit in the system. His price tag may shackle us to the point where we can't afford anything else (In which case he isn't worth it) and a whole host of other factors that might mean he won't come here.

Let's say we could sign him, but then couldnt sign the OLB, WR or guard we wanted, none of the three. That isn't likely, but just an example. A shutdown corner doesn't make up for all that. It's too easy to look at the name on the jersey and say "GET HIM! It doesn't matter the cost!!!" But the cost does matter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast