Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Asomugha's Raiders deal voided because of missed incentives

This is a guy who would instantly come in and be the no. 1 corner on 31 NFL teams. I leave out the Jets because there might be a conversation before hand there. I think this may come down to who has the best pitch.

Judging by how we have behaved in the market up to this point though, I don't see us making a big move.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    This is a guy who would instantly come in and be the no. 1 corner on 31 NFL teams. I leave out the Jets because there might be a conversation before hand there. I think this may come down to who has the best pitch.

Judging by how we have behaved in the market up to this point though, I don't see us making a big move.
    I don't see us making a move on him simply because we have other areas of greater concern than CB, and he would eat up probably most the budget for addressing them. It's nice to have one of the best players, but not if it costs you the ability to obtain even starting quality players at positions of need.

Not to mention if we address CB and leave OLB crippled, teams will just stay away from him and attack the linebackers all day.
    Last edited by berg8309; -01-09-2011 at 07:57 PM.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I like Bartell and fletcher but we really could use more people on our team that you can't spell their name.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

He would be a great acquisition...as long as we have a limit on the offers we give him. Can't go overboard here, because we aren't one shutdown corner away from having a Pro-Bowl defense.

However, a shut down corner like Asomugha would be a great boost to our defense, because him and Bartell would make a great tandem, and Fletcher would be very solid in the nickel slot.

And to C-Mob's opinion on Murphy playing strong safety, I've been thinking that also. He isn't a great man to man cover corner. He's physical, a good tackler, plays the run well, and is decent in zone coverage. I think if we added a good cornerback to our team, then the move to strong safety can be strongly justified. If we don't, then I guess we keep him at cornerback.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams' cornerback prayers may be answered... Nnamdi to become free agent!

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Cuts the field in half, would greatly improve our defense.

But it would cost a lot of money, but hey someone is going to sign him, might as well be us!

Side note: I wonder if Murphy could play strong safety? Because a secondary consisting of Nnamdi and Bartell at corners, Fletcher and King at nickel and dime, and OJ and Murphy at safeties, looks first class to me.

Someone slap me, thinking crazy thoughts!
    You know I'd really think our secondary would be top notch if we were to aqquire him and move everyone around like you said. I'd much rather have Murphy as a SS and Dahl as a backup. Better ball coverage skills and still can light someone up and support the run.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    It is no secret what a shutdown corner can do. The question is do we try blow our free agent budget to upgrade a position from adequate to great, or to upgrade a position from horrific to anything better than horrific, or to upgrade several positions.

The Rams will still be under a budget with Kroenke, he won't give a blank check to Devaney and say "Go wild". Not to mention as a free agent, he'll have teams that are better than the Rams bidding on him. Spags might not think he is a fit in the system. His price tag may shackle us to the point where we can't afford anything else (In which case he isn't worth it) and a whole host of other factors that might mean he won't come here.

Let's say we could sign him, but then couldnt sign the OLB, WR or guard we wanted, none of the three. That isn't likely, but just an example. A shutdown corner doesn't make up for all that. It's too easy to look at the name on the jersey and say "GET HIM! It doesn't matter the cost!!!" But the cost does matter.
    You kidding me? Before this lockout crap we were like the 3rd or 4th team with the most under the cap to spend! We have the money like 28 mill or something like that...I'd defiantly give him a contract... Get a top tier OLB like Greenway or someone through the draft... move Murphy to SS and get a big FA WR and/or draft then get some Guards in draft...
    SOLUTION<ALL HOLES FILLED!!!!!!!

On a side note, we have a tough, We need players who are ready now to succeed and contribute. We need to add to our talent base, we need great players not just good players.
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -01-09-2011 at 10:35 PM.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

I actually think Murphy to safety is a good idea after thinking about it. I think it would be similar to Malcolm Jenkins on the Saints moving to play safety this year. He was definitely the heart of that defense. They were so bad without him against Seattle, and he was basically responsible for a 21 point swing against the Rams with 2 redzone interceptions and a touchdown.
    While Murphy would be much different , he has similar skills to a Jenkins, and has better hands than our other defensive backs. I just don't know whether or not the Rams would move him. None of our coaches this year really thought about putting him in a position like that. Also, whats his size? I know he's physical, but is he bigger than Dahl, and Butler.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I don't see us making a move on him simply because we have other areas of greater concern than CB, and he would eat up probably most the budget for addressing them. It's nice to have one of the best players, but not if it costs you the ability to obtain even starting quality players at positions of need.

Not to mention if we address CB and leave OLB crippled, teams will just stay away from him and attack the linebackers all day.
    You're right.

I'd LOVE to add Asomugha to our defense. Moving Fletcher to cover the slot would more or less solve the issues we've had with opposing teams picking on Murphy/King/Dockery when playing out of the Nickel.

The problem, of course, is money. If investing in Asomugha means not being able to sign a starter at a greater position of need, then I don't want a part of it. What's playing into our favour at the moment is that we're already substantially under the salary cap. The benefits of coming here for Asomugha are obvious. We're an improving team with a defensively oriented Head Coach. If we can address, for example, OLB and DE in Free Agency and still be able to afford Asomugha, then I won't have a problem with it. But if it's going to break the bank, count me out.

Re: The Rams' cornerback prayers may be answered... Nnamdi to become free agent!

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    You kidding me? Before this lockout crap we were like the 3rd or 4th team with the most under the cap to spend! We have the money like 28 mill or something like that...I'd defiantly give him a contract... Get a top tier OLB like Greenway or someone through the draft... move Murphy to SS and get a big FA WR and/or draft then get some Guards in draft...
    SOLUTION<ALL HOLES FILLED!!!!!!!
    Cap room does not and never will equal budget room for every team. We also had the most dead cap space from doing things like signing players to giant contracts only to have to cut them when they didn't produce. Not to mention the need to have money available to re-sign guys like Jlau (I believe only one year left on his deal) and other key pieces.

So, no, I am not kidding you. Ok, so let's say we have 28mil to spend. Throw 15 of it at Aso, then you have a mere $13mil left just to try to re-sign players and draft picks, never mind trying to pick up a guy like Rice even. Not to mention I seriously doubt Kroenke would consider spending anywhere close to the predicted cap.

You sound like you are building a roster on Madden, this isn't a video game. There are real budget concerns, and yet you somehow think the Rams will manage to sign the top player at three different positions? That isn't realistic.

Edit: My bad Jlau signed a 4 year deal, I was thinking three. But that doesn't change the fact that 3 huge free agent deals would be eating our budget and cap space in two years. You generally can't sign the big splash free agent to a 1 year deal.
    Last edited by berg8309; -01-09-2011 at 11:34 PM.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

We can draft 1 of the big 3 WR's in the first round.So with AVery and mark back that puts DX and Danny out of starting positions and they can do what they do as #3 much better than #1 or #2.So that solves that problem.We can get a OG or OLB in the draft with picks 2-also.Signing Nnamdi would make our def incredibly better and we can do so much more as far as blitzing goes because he will totally negate every teams #1 WR.I say go for it,but im almost sure we wont make a move for him :/.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

it would be great so see nnamdi in the horns.. but i gotta side with berg8309 on this one.
    save the bucks for more pressing needs.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Cap room does not and never will equal budget room for every team. We also had the most dead cap space from doing things like signing players to giant contracts only to have to cut them when they didn't produce. Not to mention the need to have money available to re-sign guys like Jlau (I believe only one year left on his deal) and other key pieces.

So, no, I am not kidding you. Ok, so let's say we have 28mil to spend. Throw 15 of it at Aso, then you have a mere $13mil left just to try to re-sign players and draft picks, never mind trying to pick up a guy like Rice even. Not to mention I seriously doubt Kroenke would consider spending anywhere close to the predicted cap.

You sound like you are building a roster on Madden, this isn't a video game. There are real budget concerns, and yet you somehow think the Rams will manage to sign the top player at three different positions? That isn't realistic.

Edit: My bad Jlau signed a 4 year deal, I was thinking three. But that doesn't change the fact that 3 huge free agent deals would be eating our budget and cap space in two years. You generally can't sign the big splash free agent to a 1 year deal.
    Ya? what's going to happen when we go 6-10 or something similar because of the tougher schedule well have and we dont ahve the talent to combat it. We need some talent now... not 2 or 3 years from now to develop in certain areas.

yea, we don't need to keep that talent in 2-3 years when we have to drop 2 starters in their mid 20's cause we signed one CB who is now 32 and shackling our ability to sign players. Mild improvement now, who cares about big pitfalls in 2 years?

Obviously we are in agreement with his ability, we just seem to disagree over whether the budget should be concern, or if we should throw that to the wind cause he is a name player.

thermobee is offline Registered User

The only number I could find was an article at Yahoo Sports and the reporter had us at $14.6mil of cap space as of March 10, 2010. Now we know that Bulger's contract is coming off the books so thats another 10mil if I recall correctly. Who else is? Lets try to get a number as close as possible.

thermobee is offline Registered User

You know what scary? A little off topic but the same article has the young and hungry Bucs at $42.8mil of cap space. I am not sure if thats budget or they were planning on playing their rookies and seeing where they stand at the end of the season.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

There is no doubt in my mind that we should give him an offer. He takes out the #1 WR on every offense. That means Bartell covers the number 2 WR which instantly makes him a lot better too. Also, Fletcher than takes nickel, which also makes him a lot better. I also really like the idea of moving Jeromy Murphy to SS. That would basically mean our secondary is set and looks great. Would improve our defense so much. There is a reason 31 other teams will be going after this guy too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast