Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Varg6 is online now Registered User

Assuming we get Jenkins, who do we get in the 1st?

I would say Adam Carriker makes perfect sense, he can play end and nt (if I am correct) and would probably make good impact immediately at the D-End position, and could play NT if anyone goes down. Can always be rotational/potential starter.

Thoughts?

Keep in mind, I'm not the greatest at this draft business, but this seems like a good idea.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Re: Assuming we get Jenkins, who do we get in the 1st?

I think that you can't against drafting Patrick Willis if he is on the board. He is a true MLB that we have been lacking. And with that big body in front of him he wouldn't have to worry about keeping blockers off. If we were to draft him then I think that we could shift Witherspoon over to SAM where we could really use his speed and covering ability.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

For starters, we're jumping the gun a bit here. Talking about trading for him is fine and dandy, but let's remember the only connection is that the Panthers have said he's on the block, and we have their former director of college scouting in our front office. Jim Thomas' article doesn't say one word about us actually having called or inquired yet (edit: apparently Howard Balzer has done a radio interview and confirms we are talking, but still), so it's pretty premature to "assume we get Jenkins" at this point. Maybe we will, but let's not get too excited just yet.

Anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    And with that big body in front of him he wouldn't have to worry about keeping blockers off.
    The same could be said of the guy we already have - Will Witherspoon.

But more importantly, if we draft a linebacker in round one, who is the guy we take off the field? This is a point I heard but never really listened to weeks/months ago whenever I was keen on addressing the position through the draft. But it's an incredibly important question.

If we draft Willis, who comes off the field when we switch to pass packages? We just signed Tinoisamoa to an $25 million extension and we already have a lot sunk into Witherspoon. I don't think we put that much money into either if we envisioned them as two-down linebackers. So does Willis come off the field? Who is it?
    Last edited by Nick; -04-07-2007 at 05:05 PM.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If we draft Willis, who comes off the field when we switch to pass packages? We just signed Tinoisamoa to an $25 million extension and we already have a lot sunk into Witherspoon. I don't think we put that much money into either if we envisioned them as two-down linebackers. So does Willis come off the field? Who is it?
    I think many are assuming or hoping that Chillar at the SAM position would be the one who is being replaced.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

As Nick says, don't jump to conclusions. I haven't heard of us talking to Carolina from any site. All I've heard is that he's on the Block and this could CHANGE the way the Rams draft in Round 1, nothing about negotiations.

BUT if the Rams were to land Kris Jenkins than I'd be all up for drafting Patrick Willis in Round 1 if he's there, if not than Leon Hall or Darrelle Revis depending on who's there and who's not.
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I think many are assuming or hoping that Chillar at the SAM position would be the one who is being replaced.
    That wasn't what I meant. I assumed that Chillar would be replaced at SAM either by Witherspoon or Willis.

But when you go to nickel pass packages, you only have two linebackers on the field. Meaning one of our three LBs (Witherspoon, Willis, or Pisa) would have to sit and thus becomes a very expensive two-down linebacker.

I don't think we wrapped up $25 million in Pisa to not play him against the pass, and I know we didn't sign Witherspoon to sit him on third down. So does Willis sit out pass plays? If so, do we really need a two-down linebacker @ pick 13?

viper is offline Registered User

Myself I'd prefer Okoye. But, if run defense is really our big weakness, in addition to the 1st two-downs, on 3rd and 4th and short Willis may be worth it.

Country is offline Registered User

I think that we take the best Defensive player available.

I think that Adam Carriker would not have the impact as S Reggie Nelson would, as much as we like to think that our secondary is not bad after DT it has to be the 2nd worst position.

If Okoye, Branch, Anderson are gone I say we go Reggie Nelsoin

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Jenkins would be a nice and badly needed addition, depending on cost. Getting him early enough to make an impact on him with the off season program would be real valuable, especially conditioning.

And I also agree that following this up with BPA at "defense" at #13 is the very smart thing to do, even if that means another DT. I would suspect it means one of those CBs or DEs though.

I really hope that this trade, if it should happen, doesn't allow Linehan to feel he can go offense in the first round.

Richbert "Premium Member Lurker"........Out!
    Semper Fi!

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That wasn't what I meant. I assumed that Chillar would be replaced at SAM either by Witherspoon or Willis.

But when you go to nickel pass packages, you only have two linebackers on the field. Meaning one of our three LBs (Witherspoon, Willis, or Pisa) would have to sit and thus becomes a very expensive two-down linebacker.

I don't think we wrapped up $25 million in Pisa to not play him against the pass, and I know we didn't sign Witherspoon to sit him on third down. So does Willis sit out pass plays? If so, do we really need a two-down linebacker @ pick 13?

I would have Willis sit down for those passing downs. Other then that he would be on the field playing. There is no sense in passing up on a kid who has tremedous talent because you'd have to sit him on 1 down out of 4. I think we also need to look towards the future. Pisa is a 5 year vet and Will is a 6 year vet. Given these are very much for a player but when you consider all the injuries that Pisa has had, how many years does that add onto his body? And how often does someone who can play football like this come along? I just think that it would be worth wild for us to go after him. And if that means he has to sit for the 1 passing down per set then so be it.

Or if we were to get Chris Jenkins it would open up the door for possibly switching over to a 3-4 which would then allow us to field 4 linebackers. But that scenario is highly unlikely.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Dr. D, we can find linebackers who are lousy against the pass in a later round. We shouldn't change our thinking at all. Jenkis is a 28 year old DT. That sounds good, but as it might have been mentioned once or twice on this board, he's got a bad case of the injury bug. What happens when he goes down early in the season? We're back where we started, no defensive tackle. Draft Okoye if he's there, draft Branch if he's there, draft Aaron Ross Corner out of Texas that can return like the dickens. If none are there try an end, but don't put off the line because we signed a guy that might play.

max
    max is offline Registered User

This supports my thoughts that the Rams are targeting Anderson. I think he is the guy they want at #13.

http://www.ramsrule.com/theoriginalh..._id=25237&page=

From the Herd board:
    "I also heard Balzer say..."

that he thought the Rams were going to go DE in the first round regardless of whether they pickup Jenkins or not. He named Anderson as a guy they were targeting.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I think many are assuming or hoping that Chillar at the SAM position would be the one who is being replaced
    I think he already has been by Draft.

I would still go Okoye or Carriker.

This supports my thoughts that the Rams are targeting Anderson. I think he is the guy they want at #13.
    Not much of a source....

injury prone Jenkins Vs 19 Year Old Okoye??? That Is an Easyone for me. If we can get Kris then I would be happy, however we should not invest a high round pick on him, maybe a 3rd and 7th and a 5th next year.
    If we get Jenkins who would you draft?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast