View Poll Results: Would you trade our 1st (#6) and 3rd (#66) for Clevelands 1st (#4) to get Blackmon?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 23.53%
  • No

26 76.47%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: To assure we get Blackmon would you do the following trade if it was made available?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: To assure we get Blackmon would you do the following trade if it was made availab

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Our draft should have one theme, and that is accumulate not give away.
    I think the theme should be to achieve the maximum total value possible. If one player is expected to contribute more to the team than the players we would expect to be able to acquire with the traded picks, then it's a good trade up. If not, it's a bad trade up.

In this case, I think free agency is also a very relevant factor. If we have doubts about whether Blackmon will be available or we have doubts about whether he's star player material, we could make a big push to go after Marques Colston, Vincent Jackson, or some other player rather than coughing up a third round pick to move up two slots.

Honestly, though, I think if we really wanted the Browns' slot, we just would have traded with them in the first place.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: To assure we get Blackmon would you do the following trade if it was made availab

Since I am just a fan and not empowered or qualified to decide Ram draft picks, I'll phrase it this way: If Les and Jeff feel Blackmon is a true game changer and is at the top of their draft board when the #4 pick rolls around, then I'd have no problem if they gave up our number three for him. So my vote is yes, but with the above explanation.

Do I think this will actually happen? No. (I believe the Browns will take him) I'd imagine we'll stand pat and see who's there at #6, and I won't be at all surprised if we trade down again.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Just because just Blackmon is not 6'4 does not mean he isn't a premier WR. He is a grade A WR, a blue chip prospect and I don't see how anyone can say anything to the contrary. These facts are there that no one can despute: He is a game changer and shows up EVERY GAME big or small, he has the speed 4.6-4.9 or whatever, he may not be tall but he has a wider range of motion than alot of guys a couple inches taller than him because he is more athleticly gifted.

I'd give up a 3rd in a beart beat if that means we get Blackmon, you never know what our thrid could be another wasted pick for a Mardy Gilyard and if I'm going to bet on any WR in this draft being a top tier guy my money is going to be on Blackmon. Make no mistake about it the draft is a crap shoot, but to be successful you have to go with what has a higher percentage of success.... that's Mr. Blackmon.

p.s. I love his heart and work ethic which makes his other team mates better.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Just because just Blackmon is not 6'4 does not mean he isn't a premier WR. He is a grade A WR, a blue chip prospect and I don't see how anyone can say anything to the contrary. These facts are there that no one can despute: He is a game changer and shows up EVERY GAME big or small, he has the speed 4.6-4.9 or whatever, he may not be tall but he has a wider range of motion than alot of guys a couple inches taller than him because he is more athleticly gifted.

I'd give up a 3rd in a beart beat if that means we get Blackmon, you never know what our thrid could be another wasted pick for a Mardy Gilyard and if I'm going to bet on any WR in this draft being a top tier guy my money is going to be on Blackmon. Make no mistake about it the draft is a crap shoot, but to be successful you have to go with what has a higher percentage of success.... that's Mr. Blackmon.

p.s. I love his heart and work ethic which makes his other team mates better.
    For a "game changing" WR, 4.6-4.9 would be horrific. Good thing he ran a 4.46 at his pro day.
    ZiaRam likes this.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Two reasons I said "No"... Claibourne and Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    For a "game changing" WR, 4.6-4.9 would be horrific. Good thing he ran a 4.46 at his pro day.
    lmao! Good point...

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

I'd say no also since I don't think Blackmon's what I'd call a game changer. Yes I think he'll get a lot of catches and put up #s in a good offense. But I don't see him being one of those WRs where no matter who's at QB he'll be a threat to score.

I see a lot of Crabtree in him (without the diva) . Crabtree was knocked coming out of college for not being fast or big. People said his great hands and route running would make up for that. So far Crabtree looks like a great possession receiver, but not a WR that anyone is afraid of without a great QB.

So while I'm pretty sure Blackmon will be at least as good as Crabtree, I just hope to get a #1 WR better than that. Just not worth it imo when there are "great" WRs every year available later in drafts, and we can get a good player at 6 no matter what (which could quite possibly be Blackmon anyways). A 3rd rounder is a crap shoot, it still has a pretty good chance to be a starter or solid backup, unless the team is ran by Spagnuolo and Devaney.
    Last edited by md8; -03-12-2012 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by md8 View Post
    I'd say no also since I don't think Blackmon's what I'd call a game changer. Yes I think he'll get a lot of catches and put up #s in a good offense. But I don't see him being one of those WRs where no matter who's at QB he'll be a threat to score.

I see a lot of Crabtree in him (without the diva) . Crabtree was knocked coming out of college for not being fast or big. People said his great hands and route running would make up for that. So far Crabtree looks like a great possession receiver, but not a WR that anyone is afraid of without a great QB.

So while I'm pretty sure Blackmon will be at least as good as Crabtree, I just hope to get a #1 WR better than that. Just not worth it imo when there are "great" WRs every year available later in drafts, and we can get a good player at 6 no matter what (which could quite possibly be Blackmon anyways). A 3rd rounder is a crap shoot, it still has a pretty good chance to be a starter or solid backup, unless the team is ran by Spagnuolo and Devaney.
    You ever watch his highlights? look how many yards and touchdowns he gets after first contact.. He is a Man playing against Boys
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I guess its all about potential. Floyd in my opinion has more potential, and can be molded into a serious threat in the NFL. Blackmon will be solid too, but I think he's basically at his peak. Strong route runner, plays big, can grab the ball over CB's, and can shake defenders off. Floyd to me is rawer in route running (though still solid), has nice hands, and is a great blocker. Blackmon is the jack of all trades, not a master in anything. Neither is Floyd really, but he does have great size.

Plus look at the 2009 draft:

KC takes at #3 : Tyson Jackson
    GB takes at #9 : B.J Raji

Raji is by far the better player, and Jackson was the better prospect coming out of college.

Buffalo takes at #11 : Aaron Maybin
    Washington takes at #13 : Brian Orakpo

Orakpo is a top 5 OLB pass rusher, while Maybin hasn't even seen the field. Actually, he got released and started to play at the level of a 5th rounder, but still.

Basically what I'm trying to say is the player that is rated highest at his position coming out of college (50/50) isn't necessarily at all going to be the best pro player. And this is just 1 example of very many.
    We all know the fabled story of Jerry Rice and his average 40 time and his hands of stone when he first came into the league. However I think that there are 2 recent, premier NFL wideouts that Blackmon is a prime example of---

1 is Marvin Harrison; and the 2nd is someone we all know-- Isaac Bruce.

Both are disciplined route runners, deceptive route runners and have great hands. They both didnt post blazing combine speeds-- but look at how they turned out.

Blackmon IMO is cut from the same mold, but he's a little faster =)

Also, after watching him at the combine-- I like the manner in which he carried himself- unlike some of the other receivers who would smile and shrug when they dropped balls. Blackmon was all business, and the 1 dropped ball he had he showed remorse. I like that. It shows his sincerity for excellence, and that he actually does give a damn about his trade. Some of the guys there expect the fame, the money, and the glory to just fall in their laps.

Blackmon seems blue collar, and is willing to put in the effort to make himself even better. I would hazard to guess that his Pro day 40 may be the fastest 40 he's ever run; and that's due to his work ethic.

He could have taken the entitlement route and been lackadaisical; but he showed his willingess to improve.
    Last edited by punahou; -03-12-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    thoey, MauiRam, RamsSB99 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    We all know the fabled story of Jerry Rice and his average 40 time and his hands of stone when he first came into the league. However I think that there are 2 recent, premier NFL wideouts that Blackmon is a prime example of---

1 is Marvin Harrison; and the 2nd is someone we all know-- Isaac Bruce.

Both are disciplined route runners, deceptive route runners and have great hands. They both didnt post blazing combine speeds-- but look at how they turned out.

Blackmon IMO is cut from the same mold, but he's a little faster =)

Also, after watching him at the combine-- I like the manner in which he carried himself- unlike some of the other receivers who would smile and shrug when they dropped balls. Blackmon was all business, and the 1 dropped ball he had he showed remorse. I like that. It shows his sincerity for excellence, and that he actually does give a damn about his trade. Some of the guys there expect the fame, the money, and the glory to just fall in their laps.

Blackmon seems blue collar, and is willing to put in the effort to make himself even better. I would hazard to guess that his Pro day 40 may be the fastest 40 he's ever run; and that's due to his work ethic.

He could have taken the entitlement route and been lackadaisical; but he showed his willingess to improve.
    ummm Torry Holt?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    ummm Torry Holt?
    Torry was the same as them!

THE DREAM TEAM

punahou is offline Registered User

of course Holt is in there- but I cant come across totally biased =)
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    of course Holt is in there- but I cant come across totally biased =)
    lol i Hear ya man....

Honestly , with FA kicking off have you changed your thoughts about moving up two spots to grab Blackmon since all the decent FA WR's is gone..?

I say now more than ever over the last month we are in desperate need of a game changer... lets give up a third for Blackmon
    RamsSB99 and Tampa_Ram like this.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

I say do it,Blackmon is the target so your telling me hes not worth giving up a 3rd round pick??I def think he is
    RamsSB99 and ZiaRam like this.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

My answer depends on what exactly is being asked. In a vacuum, I would make the trade so that the Rams aren't stuck having to make a tough choice if Kalil, Blackmon, Claiborne go #3-#5.

But I believe Cleveland would only offer that trade if they were thinking of going Tannehill, in which case declining the trade still nets us Blackmon or Claiborne. So basically for game-theoretic reasons, I say no. But in the spirit of the question, I think I'd say yes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast