AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Austin Pettis... trade bait?

Les Snead has demonstrated in his first two offseasons that he is anything but shy about making trades.

Typically, those trades have involved draft picks, but I'm sure he'd consider trading a player if it were beneficial to the Rams.

The guy who look at as the best trade commodity that the Rams could offer is Austin Pettis.

For teams in need of a WR, he is a guy who is reliable, can move the chains, and is good in the Red Zone. He also comes with a small price tag (about $650K) and only one year remaining on his contract after this season.

For the Rams, Pettis is surplus. Without Pettis, they have avon Austin, Chris Givens, Brian Quick and Stedman Bailey at WR. If they wish to add a potential "No. 1" guy, they have two first round draft picks to target a guy like Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans.

What would Pettis bring us? Probably no more than a 5th round pick but, as Zac Stacy has demonstrated, 5th round picks can be very valuable.

Any other Rams you see as possible trade bait?

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: Austin Pettis... trade bait?

Well that makes sense though I think Sam has pretty good chemistry with AP, would love to trade a couple of our Vets but I doubt Fisher would approve. He is pretty loyal to his vet guys, I like this about him in some ways others not as much. As you said seems this administration is more into draft dealing than player trades they release and sign but not so much trades so far... Will be interesting to see what Les and the guys have up their sleeves but I would not hold my breath till draft time.

Haste is offline Registered User

I think he would make good trade bait, even though I do think that Pettis is getting better.

What about Kellen Clemons as trade bait on draft day? IF he were to finish the season strong, he would be a very serviceable backup QB that other teams will look for. What would he be worth though? A 6th? Mid 5th?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Though I've previously argued against taking a WR, I'm more and more intrigued by Mike Evans. While he likely will not run an eye-popping 40, you can't ignore his size and productivity.

If the Rams were to take a guy like Evans (or Sammy Watkins), I really hope they make an effort to get some value out of guys, like Pettis, who would be displaced as a result.

Mikey is offline Registered User

He has one year remaining before he's a UFA. I could see him being a trade deadline move next year if the young guys continue to grow.

Odell Beckham and Jordan Matthews are two other WR's in the draft that are intriguing. I'm not one to do a lot of scouting I just am able to watch games upon occasion.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    He has one year remaining before he's a UFA. I could see him being a trade deadline move next year if the young guys continue to grow.

Odell Beckham and Jordan Matthews are two other WR's in the draft that are intriguing. I'm not one to do a lot of scouting I just am able to watch games upon occasion.
    i'm curious about jordan matthews too

zac stacy has the rushing record for the SEC and came from vanderbilt

this guy did it with receiving yards, has the SEC record, and from vanderbilt

and it's vanderbilt...not the greatest team though they have surprised a few teams

we see how zac stacy is now, and i'm not saying jordan matthews would end up the same way at WR

but he's gotta be doing something right....right?